Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Seems promising, but can't today. Packing up boxes men.

I gotta move before they find me.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I played the shit out of regular Gal Civ IV and loved it. I bought Supernova, but haven't really played it much because it's super early in development. They must have changed a lot more than I thought because humans and custom civs are the only playable races right now. I've been reading the dev blogs, but I have no idea which changes they made would have caused the other races to become unplayable.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I still need to play GalCiv 3. They broke GalCiv 2.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

GalCiv 3 was shit for many years, but supposedly became good after a ton of dlc. I wouldn't bother. If you really want to scratch the itch then play the original GalCiv IV until Supernova is more complete.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Can't imagine this AI driven junk being all that great since it's powered by ChatGPT which is completely gimped.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

All the AI does is write a description of your race for you. I always just left that blank in the base game. It doesn't effect gameplay at all. Eventually it will be used to give out quests I guess, but those are probably optional and something I generally would have ignored anyway. I wish they were using it to make the custom race art instead of pulling from a pool of premade stuff. That would be really cool.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

GhostCow wrote: May 6th, 2023, 00:26
All the AI does is write a description of your race for you. I always just left that blank in the base game. It doesn't effect gameplay at all. Eventually it will be used to give out quests I guess, but those are probably optional and something I generally would have ignored anyway. I wish they were using it to make the custom race art instead of pulling from a pool of premade stuff. That would be really cool.
Oh, that's what I assumed they were doing with it. Well, that's disappointing.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Tweed wrote: May 6th, 2023, 00:23
since it's powered by ChatGPT which is completely gimped.
Much like wikipedia, as long as you stay near topics that are autistic in nature you're good.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 6th, 2023, 00:48
Much like wikipedia, as long as you stay near topics that are autistic in nature you're good.
Like Sonic The Hedgehog and feet?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Tweed wrote: May 6th, 2023, 00:51
Probably.
I don't regret paying for GPT4.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

You can have it. I'll just keep waiting for Turk to deliver 3.5.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Tweed wrote: May 6th, 2023, 00:51
Yeah, I was showing my son what ChatGPT can do last night and we asked questions about Sonic the Hedgehog. He said all of it was accurate.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Did he ask about Sonic's feet?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

No. And he knows I would have disowned him if he'd done so.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Looks like the next update will be pretty sweet. Being able to reroll images for your custom leader is the most welcome change for me.

https://forums.galciv4.com/518715/galci ... for-may-11
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

Series peaked with GalCiv2. GalCiv3 was rehashed garbage.

Using AI in this way is gimmicky. At least they're trying, but it's going to take a lot more than that to turn this into a Stellaris killer.
Galdred
Developer

Post by Galdred »

NEG wrote: May 10th, 2023, 04:09
Series peaked with GalCiv2. GalCiv3 was rehashed garbage.

Using AI in this way is gimmicky. At least they're trying, but it's going to take a lot more than that to turn this into a Stellaris killer.
It is a shame, because I think 4X would be the perfect genre to get use of a strong Deep RL AI. I toyed with this idea in my game, but ended up thinking that it wouldn't bring much to a tactical RPG (or any asymetric game genre), as not retarded AI can be done without ML.

I think Race for the Galaxy (the card game) uses strong AI, and it consistently mops the floor with human opponents. Gal Civ seems a relatively good compromise in complexity to have AI play competently without being too strong. But ChatGPT would certainly not be the right candidate for the task.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

Galdred wrote: June 14th, 2023, 08:38
It is a shame, because I think 4X would be the perfect genre to get use of a strong Deep RL AI. I toyed with this idea in my game, but ended up thinking that it wouldn't bring much to a tactical RPG (or any asymetric game genre), as not retarded AI can be done without ML.
AI still hallucinates too much for it, but it'd be really good for flavor dialog and quests in any game.

E.g., negotiating with an alien race, an AI assistant with a personality that can give suggestions or answer questions, a text minigame with a reward.

Stellaris does all of this to some degree without AI, but it's all content that requires dev time and effort. Every race gets the same events, and the negotiation aspect is more stale than games made decades ago (Alpha Centauri).

But AI offers the opportunity for bespoke content on-the-fly. Why give the player a prewritten quest he's seen before when you can just trigger a script and write a brand new one for him? One that he can come up with his own solution to if he choses.

The main issues now are flaws with hallucination and the propensity to generate errors when trying to tie text actions to the game. See AI Roguelite for janky examples of both. GPT-4 is probably fairly close to a point where these issues are overcome, but I don't think we're there yet.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I enjoyed the original version a lot. I only played a little of this one in EA because I don't like to play incomplete games, but I imagine it's even better than IV was by this point. The new races seem cool and a lot of the balance changes sound great.