Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
somerandomdude

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

Post by somerandomdude »

There's a PC demo coming out on February 24th according to the official twitter account:

Discuss.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I'm about an hour into the demo, I just beat the first boss. He took 4 attempts. It plays more or less how I figured it would. It's almost a Sekiro-like with stats and equipment, because the gameplay is heavy on utilizing the deflect mechanics over rolling. Enemies are highly aggressive, which encourages the player to be as well. If you play well and can properly utilize the mechanics, deflect, blocking, offense, and gauge management, you more or less got infinite resources to attack and cast spells, and use special attacks. But if you play badly try to panic roll like a scrub, the game will absolutely chew you up and shit you out. I like it because it's offensively oriented, and it's sufficiently challenging.

There's some controversy by a few who think the deflect timings are too loose, I don't believe they are because I miss deflect timings all the time and I'm pretty good at these games. It's comparable to or a tiny bit less than rolling iframes in Nioh. However, deflect isn't like a parry in some other other games, it's effectively your dodge roll in this game.

The hitboxes seem like they're pretty tight, no complaints there. If I use a leap attack on an enemy who attacks forward, I'll avoid taking damage, and the hitbox window doesn't extend vertically like in games with seriously shitty hitboxes.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Supposedly the Windows Store demo performs better than the Steam version demo. I'm running the Windows Store demo, and I've had zero issues with performance/optimization on this game using a mediocre PC. The game runs 1440p/60fps for me, which is better than Elden Ring ran at launch. That's with a Ryzen 5 5600, 32GBs of ram, and a GTX 1080ti with a 1TB Samsung Evo nvme drive.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I've beaten the game, including NG+. A few misc tidbits:

- There's still some minor performance issues in certain maps with frame rate hitching, but the game was stable, and I never crashed once. However, it was never bad enough that it made it unplayable.

- The game isn't as good as Nioh 1 or 2, IMO. If you're looking for a similar game and haven't played either of those, I'd recommend you play them over this.

- The difficulty of the game really depends on how you approach it, you can make things excruciatingly painful for yourself if you run something like light armor and dual blades when you suck at deflect timings, you will get murdered. Otherwise it's moderately challenging, IMO.

- Is the game worth $60? I'd wait on a sale, and for them to release some more content + optimization patches.

- Is the game fun? I enjoyed it for about 60hrs, but it wouldn't make my top 50 list.