Co-op RPG general.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Co-op RPG general.

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Going to check the interest before trying to organize anything. RPG, of course. Quite a bit to pick from now: Solasta, Wasteland 3, and so forth.
Any co-op RPGs you guys think excel in multiplayer? Any you'd be willing to play with your fellow forumite?

:eyebrows:
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

I'm being bombarded with servitors and familiars at the moment and trying to electrocute the big evil Jew under a volcano right now. Please call me back later.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

System Shock 2. Everyone should experience System Shock 2's multiplayer at least once, if you can get it running. There's always Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, you know you want to.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I will co-op almost any boss in Dark Souls, both PTDE and Remastered. All you have to do is give me an advance heads-up on your SL.

Otherwise, I hate people, so I won't do much gaming with other people. Exceptions *can* be made if extensive planning is made beforehand and/or I like your gameplay style.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I'd play.

Shadow over Mystara, Solasta, DOS1, BG, IWD, take your pick.
Bonerstorm

Post by Bonerstorm »

I've played BG1 & 2 multiplayer with a friend. It was interesting, but not quite fun. Now NWN1 multiplayer servers were excellent - there is no way around this (sheesh, 3 posts in on this site and I've defended NWN1 twice. Please don't ban me!) I'd love a good co-op RPG, though. Co-op games are a good time killer with the right folks, and I'd really like something like thi.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 13th, 2023, 20:58
Morrowind Multiplayer?.
It's good shit. We shared artifacts and trained together with the money we made from dungeon pillaging. I mocked other players for their non human race choices all the time. Was really fun to play.

Well at least until i and other players made it to the part where you get Dagoth Ur AIDS. And only the player that talks to Divayth Fyr can be cured. The rest will have to suffer from corprus effects daily.

I hope there is some fix for it now. Or just stay away from main quest.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I generally enjoyed DOS1 in coop but damn it was a slogfest at times. One of the fights was literally 2 hours of repeating the same tactics over and over to achieve victory. Story is typical Larian too. The item hassle was annoying. Me and my friend were commited to playing it until the end, but i'm not really built for such long coop sessions. I think it took 70 hours for us to finish it. When i have to spend so much time on a game i prefer it to be singleplayer. Long rpgs are not very suited for coop.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fargus wrote: March 16th, 2023, 11:58
I generally enjoyed DOS1 in coop but damn it was a slogfest at times. One of the fights was literally 2 hours of repeating the same tactics over and over to achieve victory. Story is typical Larian too. The item hassle was annoying. Me and my friend were commited to playing it until the end, but i'm not really built for such long coop sessions. I think it took 70 hours for us to finish it. When i have to spend so much time on a game i prefer it to be singleplayer. Long rpgs are not very suited for coop.
I tried DOS2 in coop and we lasted about 5 hours. Nobody plays RPGs at the same pace, so it's difficult to play more traditional ones in coop unless perhaps it's couch coop.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I tried BG2 in coop briefly but it didn't really seem suited for it. Rusty has it right about playing RPGs at one's own pace. I don't like to be rushed (or even worry that I will be rushed) so if were to play a cRPG in coop it would need to be one I had already played.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I have both D:OS games, but I haven't been arsed to play them yet of course. I tried to play BG2 multiplayer a really long time ago, but time constraints ended it pretty quick.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

It's more of an action-roguelike (you'd be surprised) but Barony has some good multiplayer dungeon crawling. It allows for some pretty neat moments, like when me and my buddies were lost in the gnome maze looking for an exit. We found by chance a merchant selling spell books, one of which was a book of magic mapping. Being the only caster, I bought it. Then I led them to the exit of the maze as we snuck around and avoided gnomes and trolls as they watched the rear. Was rad, almost felt like we were at a table.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

How bout just a nice, cozy round of Diablo 1?
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

Tweed wrote: March 28th, 2023, 02:48
How bout just a nice, cozy round of Diablo 1?
Yeah, I find that playing Diablo with some buddies "just werks". However, due to my proclivity towards spending too much time trying to make the dumbest build possible I'd rather play Grim Dawn. Love me that class system.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

There's DevolutionX for the purist experience or something like Tchernobog for extra bells and whistles. Tchernobog got updated just this month too.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anyone played any of the following in coop?
  • Wasteland 3
  • Solasta
  • Wartales
  • Outward
?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Why on earth would anyone play a single player game in co-op?
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I played Outward with my wife (this is also my answer to Acrux's question). It was very fun. We were coordinating material gathering, divvying up crafting, yelling frantically at each other during dungeon runs/boss fights etc. Good times.

The others I haven't, because they don't allow couch co-op. Huge wasted opportunity on Solasta and Wasteland 3, turn-based RPGs are perfect candidates for 2 players to work together and coordinate on fights. I was very disappointed with Wasteland 3 especially, since its multiplayer was hyped all over the place.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I played about 20h of Wasteland 3 in co-op. It's actually a lot of fun, but you have to sort-of agree to explore together and agree on what your team is about. Meaning if both players are on the same level, and are not clowning around, the game is a ton of fun.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

So did anyone actually play anything or did we all just sit around twiddling our thumbs?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I played DOS1 couch coop with a friend, lone wolves perk. We made it up to the winter map. I was experimenting with a melee wizard or something and my build started to suck at that point so we got frustrated and gave up.

I would like to find a game that I can play coop with my semi-retarded wife, on one computer. She would not be able to handle DOS. She likes stardew valley but so far as I know you need 2 computers to play that coop. Or, my computer uses two big TVs as monitors, so if I could run two instances of the same game on the computer somehow and have each use one screen, without getting the controls mixed up, that would work too.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Emphyrio wrote: April 15th, 2023, 00:13
I played DOS1 couch coop with a friend, lone wolves perk. We made it up to the winter map. I was experimenting with a melee wizard or something and my build started to suck at that point so we got frustrated and gave up.

I would like to find a game that I can play coop with my semi-retarded wife, on one computer. She would not be able to handle DOS. She likes stardew valley but so far as I know you need 2 computers to play that coop. Or, my computer uses two big TVs as monitors, so if I could run two instances of the same game on the computer somehow and have each use one screen, without getting the controls mixed up, that would work too.
Split Screen has been in since 1.5:

Start split-screen mode
Create or load the save normally.
Build a cabin for each new player in single-player mode.
Connect a controller to the computer/console for each extra player. (The keyboard on PC is always reserved for the first player, though the first player can use a controller too.)
Open the in-game menu and choose the Options tab.
Scroll down to the Multiplayer section and choose Start Local Co-op.
Have each extra player press start on the connected controller.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

great that stardew valley actually does have splitscreen. Apparently they added that a couple months after we started playing so that must be how I missed it. So much wasted time helplessly watching her die to bats and plant crooked fields.

I found this thing https://www.splitscreen.me/ which adds split-screen support to 500 other games. I would really like to try it with Orcs Must Die 2 and Skyrim coop mod.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I think the idea of an RPG being multiplayer is weird and kind of dumb because it kind of goes against some of the reasons I like RPGs. I'd be willing to do a run through of BG3 with some other forum members when it comes out though. I don't think it would make the game any better, but it would be fun to spend time with some of the people here.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

How bout we play some good games instead?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

GhostCow wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 13:33
I think the idea of an RPG being multiplayer is weird and kind of dumb because it kind of goes against some of the reasons I like RPGs. I'd be willing to do a run through of BG3 with some other forum members when it comes out though. I don't think it would make the game any better, but it would be fun to spend time with some of the people here.
Why should it be weird? Half of them use tabletop RPG rules and have a bunch of simulated cringe retards to join your party.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Emphyrio wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 11:54
Why should it be weird? Half of them use tabletop RPG rules and have a bunch of simulated cringe retards to join your party.
Because generally if you wanted to play a multiplayer RPG, you would play a tabletop RPG. The advantage of a cRPG is that you don't need other people.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

WhiteShark wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 11:57
Emphyrio wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 11:54
Because generally if you wanted to play a multiplayer RPG, you would play a tabletop RPG. The advantage of a cRPG is that you don't need other people.
A crpg has lots of advantages over tabletop for multiplayer eg no human DM, faster gameplay, and you can find people to play games that aren't D&D.

If I want to play an RPG with 1 other friend no way would I choose tabletop over a multiplayer crpg.