We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

RPG release/entered early access thread. Also upcoming.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 25th, 2024, 17:01

Engage in challenging tactical combat involving the use of dozens of available abilities. Each party brings with them different specialties and it's up to you how to combine them to overcome the challenges faced.

Explore a world filled with npcs with their own quests and storylines. As you progress into each storyline new quests and buildings unlock providing further progression paths. The more the world grows, the more npcs and quests are unlocked and the further you can progress with new quests and new clues on further areas to explore, all which is reflected visually in the world.

A non linear story that allows you to progress the way you wish. The world is filled with both quests and dungeons big and small, from small monster caves to multi floored mega dungeons there is a variety of things to do and discover.

As your adventurers grow in level, gear and complete story quests, new abilities will be unlocked. There are a variety of different characters to choose from, each of which is customisable with their own abilities, skills and storylines. Gear can be upgraded as you gain the necessary materials unlocking further stat increases and unlocking combat traits.

* Delve into dozens of different handcrafted locations such as deep dungeons, gloomy swamps, and dark forests. Visit dozens of different locations from tiny
farming hamlets to dirty goblin camps or sprawling horror filled dungeons.
*A large open world to explore in your own way, at your own pace.
* Assemble a party of customisable characters each with different skills, classes, storylines, and quests.
* Fight 100s of different enemies each with their own unique abilities in turn based combat.
* Explore a world that changes as you complete quests or which heroes you have in your party.

How does one paste a steam page like that?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 26th, 2024, 21:17
How does one paste a steam page like that?
WYSIWYG editor isn't public yet, still being worked on.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Hellgate: London is back, baby!

https://www.ign.com/articles/17-years-l ... -developer
“I’ve dreamed of returning to the franchise we created back in 2007 for many, many years,” Roper said. “I’ve always felt I had unfinished business with the Hellgate IP, which is why our codename for the project is Hellgate: Redemption.”
Hellgate: London launched on PC in 2007, developed by Flagship Studios.

Hellgate: Redemption is built on Unreal Engine 5, Roper added. “We’re keeping core gameplay and lore elements of Hellgate: London in our current design, but our intent is to build an exciting new experience that takes advantage of the numerous advances the industry has seen over the past 17 years since the original game launched.”
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

re:splattercat videos,

You guys can hate splattercat as much as you want, but he's probably one of a handful of people doing reviews across the internet that is even aware of what goldbox is
RECOMMENDED
By Splattercat's Nerd Castle! January 18
“A love letter to the goldbox games of the past. Still very early in its journey but the promise is there. A RPG that rewards exploration and paying attention. ”
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

I like Splattercat's videos, but "Welcome back to the Nerd Castle" is such a stupid opening line.
Last edited by Nemesis on March 29th, 2024, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

'
This unique gameplay offers a mix of action, horror, and space exploration. Engage in dynamic mining, looting, and crafting while traversing an RPG-influenced cosmos.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Rewrite the universe! Break reality to change your fate, and use your powers to stop sinister forces from altering existence itself. Discover the origin of your new abilities in a fast-paced ARPG Loot Collection Roguelite where you will bend, break, and change the rules of spacetime itself!
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 14:26
The south park action rpg is releasing in a couple days for those who care(?)
Low effort mediocre, repetitive shit.
DO NOT BUY
BobT

Post by BobT »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 19:22
'
This unique gameplay offers a mix of action, horror, and space exploration. Engage in dynamic mining, looting, and crafting while traversing an RPG-influenced cosmos.
Looking at the gameplay, those who like this might enjoy
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

According to IRC: Same publisher as the other Stygian game, different developers.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 4th, 2024, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Everquest will be launching a 2006 server. Probably won't be playing it but I thought you guys would like to know: https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-pro ... r-04032024
This new server will be called the Origins Server, and it will take you way back to old school EverQuest II from back in 2006! We'll start in The Shattered Lands era (no expansions unlocked), and you’ll get to experience the look and challenge of the classic world of Norrath. The seas have calmed enough for sea faring to resume, and you are plucked from the waters by none other than Captain Varlos. Soon you will find yourself on an island and then given passage to your racial neighborhoods in Qeynos or Freeport. Systems will seem less complex, stats and gameplay will be reflective of the 2006 era, and there will be more focus on grouping with that old school MMO feel! If you did not have the chance to play back then, or just want to revisit for nostalgia, then this server will be on your list to play. Beta will begin on May 2, 2024.
Info from reddit:
From Kandor's post (lead designer):

There will be no spell research. There will be a 6 week beta, so make sure you participate if you have questions. We restored old art, and old hoods, we need lots of testing.

All stats do something, like they used to. all bosses will be original stat/buff packages. no potency, no crit, no blue stats.

Unfortunately, not all the code is still there, so weight was lost. No weight, weight is unfortunately, gone.

So as to unlocks, none of that has been decided, but we did put in new forums, so now we will be able to poll and discuss unlocks before we launch.

There wil be a marketplace, but it will be very limited. It will not be free trade.

This server is on its own depot. Meaning, it cannot be affected by Live, at all. It literally has its own patches, etc. We've never done this before, so the server exists entirely separate from the rest of the game.

Freeport and Qeynos are back to old school. Old quests are back.

no persistant instances, its old school.

No subcombines. The current build is right after we took out subcombines for crafting.
Reddit post in case you want to know more info:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Anon on April 7th, 2024, 18:42, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This looks pretty decent

Shame it uses those ugly asset store characters that I hate.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 7th, 2024, 21:45
This looks pretty decent

Shame it uses those ugly asset store characters that I hate.
The bones are here for a very interesting game. I don't think it will be this game, but the idea is cool. RPG where you operate out of a home base and go on individual missions.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Cascade Tactics has been completely re-done.

This may be an unknown game to most of you. I learned about it from rusty a couple of years ago (if even he remembers it). It's been an alright little tactical game with some company management. The new update is supposed to make it more traditionally RPG-like with more connected story missions.

A very similar game, Our Adventurer Guild, will be leaving EA on Friday. The art isn't great, but there's a decent tactical game and company management hidden inside.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Supposed to be like Freelancer, but people also say it's an RPG?
Early access.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 11th, 2024, 23:39

Early access.
Saw this official trailer and vowed never to think about this game again

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 11th, 2024, 23:42

Early access.

why would they just make a video of all the "lovecraft" things in their game to spoil them?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 11th, 2024, 23:43
Oyster Sauce wrote: April 11th, 2024, 23:42

Early access.

why would they just make a video of all the "lovecraft" things in their game to spoil them?
"Look at all of the crazy stuff you can freak out and react to, streamers!"
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

A first-person dungeon crawler RPG with turn-based combat and grid-based movement. Explore the desert and discover out what mysterious forces are behind growing attacks on the Human settlement.
Releases April 19th, has a demo available.

Appears to be a sequel to this game:

Playtime in reviews suggest a 30-40 hour game for the prior title.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 12th, 2024, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Hmm...that developer has released a lot of games in the past year. I'd wonder if it's a Chinese asset flip company, but the games are all very different. This one does look like a clone of their last release, though.

https://store.steampowered.com/search/? ... pper&ndl=1
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: April 12th, 2024, 00:15
Hmm...that developer has released a lot of games in the past year. I'd wonder if it's a Chinese asset flip company, but the games are all very different. This one does look like a clone of their last release, though.

Social media seems to suggest the non-RPGs are just visual novels
https://twitter.com/Dragon_Dropper

Seems to have had a (very small) kickstarter for purchasing new graphical assets for the game:

So I think it's just a one-man thing making low budget games?

[edit]
bio:
About Me

I'm a forty-something software engineer (and musician) from the USA who was laid off at the end of last year as part of the tech industry downsizing. After enjoying a month of de-stress recuperation time, I started learning Unity.

A couple months later it felt like it was time to look for work, but after one conversation with a clueless tech recruiter, I couldn't bring myself to push that rock up the hill again. Instead I started this one-person game studio Dragon Dropper with the goal of making games for a living. Thanks to working nonstop through the pandemic I have enough savings that I don't need to worry right away, so right now I'm doing game development full-time with the goal of doing it forever. It's hard, but I love it, and it just feel like "it's time" and "now or never".

I grew up on games like Wizardry (V - Heart of the Maelstrom especially), Might and Magic (II especially), the Bard's Tale trilogy, all of the gold box D&D games, and other era classics of the dungeon crawl genre. Because of this I've been thinking about building one for literally decades, with its own adjustments and touches, of course.

I spend a little of the year in the USA where I was born, and most of my time in Uruguay. I'm mostly-fluent in Spanish, so I'll be releasing everything with Spanish localization in addition to English (and have someone to help with proofreading).

In the little over 6 months since I’ve started making games full-time, I have already released two titles, Beast Dungeon (a small traditional roguelike dungeon crawler), and Into The Inferno. I’m still a long way from earning a full living doing this, but step by step, things are growing, and I feel optimistic about the future.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 12th, 2024, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 12th, 2024, 00:18
Acrux wrote: April 12th, 2024, 00:15

Social media seems to suggest the non-RPGs are just visual novels
https://twitter.com/Dragon_Dropper

Seems to have had a (very small) kickstarter for purchasing new graphical assets for the game:

So I think it's just a one-man thing making low budget games?

[edit]
bio:
About Me

I'm a forty-something software engineer (and musician) from the USA who was laid off at the end of last year as part of the tech industry downsizing. After enjoying a month of de-stress recuperation time, I started learning Unity.

A couple months later it felt like it was time to look for work, but after one conversation with a clueless tech recruiter, I couldn't bring myself to push that rock up the hill again. Instead I started this one-person game studio Dragon Dropper with the goal of making games for a living. Thanks to working nonstop through the pandemic I have enough savings that I don't need to worry right away, so right now I'm doing game development full-time with the goal of doing it forever. It's hard, but I love it, and it just feel like "it's time" and "now or never".

I grew up on games like Wizardry (V - Heart of the Maelstrom especially), Might and Magic (II especially), the Bard's Tale trilogy, all of the gold box D&D games, and other era classics of the dungeon crawl genre. Because of this I've been thinking about building one for literally decades, with its own adjustments and touches, of course.

I spend a little of the year in the USA where I was born, and most of my time in Uruguay. I'm mostly-fluent in Spanish, so I'll be releasing everything with Spanish localization in addition to English (and have someone to help with proofreading).

In the little over 6 months since I’ve started making games full-time, I have already released two titles, Beast Dungeon (a small traditional roguelike dungeon crawler), and Into The Inferno. I’m still a long way from earning a full living doing this, but step by step, things are growing, and I feel optimistic about the future.
Heartwarming.
I hope he finds some success.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yeah, thanks for that information rusty. That actually put me over the edge to buy some of his games.
Kowe

Post by Kowe »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 21:35

Dread Delusion apparently releases this year. Looks pretty cool, anyone have any experience with it?

annoying splat video about it
Played a few hours of it recently. Explored the first isle a bit, then continued the main quest with the first Bridgepass past having met Vela Callose. The player character is instructed to hunt her down to escape their prison sentence, so they are technically not free yet.
If Splattercat hasn't really progressed past this point in the main quest, he probably got access to some locations with his class choice. Having chosen Brawler, Soldier, Deserter in the Character Creation sequence and not having been able to cast spells, it can safely be assumed Splattercat chose Apprentice along with Inquisitor probably. So he was able to access locations I could not. Hence at least some play-style variety. One can also die when they are at the wrong location or unprepared like to a higher level monster on the second isle.
In any case, Combat is one of its weaker parts. The game is big on exploration and world-building instead, from the first impressions.
Verdict: Has some good potential. It is reminiscent of Morrowind, Skyrim, et al. Yet too rough around the edges right now, for me and did not catch my attention past the first few hours to continue playing. Oh, and also niggers in the game, but they are low-poly. Still fatigued by them.
Played some of it too.
It is made in either RPG Maker MZ or MV but one of the higher quality releases under the use of that software. Basic turn-based RPG gameplay so far. One can attack, defend, use special abilities and items. Will have to see if it changes down the line and spices things up with higher complexity and more depth.
Setting, story and characters are decent, playing a Knight from a Slovakian Castle called Pavol, accompanied by a Catholic priest Matej, amongst others. Enemies so far have been an Eldritch-Horror inspired cult and muslims (turks). There is a jew in the game, but haven't gotten to interact with that NPC yet. The jew is at least away from the town. So, this is still rather early in the story.
Have to see if the positive view on Christianity persists until the end, but having an upstanding, moral companion in Matej is giving me hope.
Verdict: Promising and mildly enjoyable. Will be updated once the first play-through is finished.

Given the prices of both games, don't expect too much of them.
Last edited by Kowe on April 26th, 2024, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.