We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consol ... der-review
developer Owlcat Games doesn’t offer a completely finished product. Bugs and glitches dog Rogue Trader, making for an incomplete experience that’s not yet reached its full potential.

The further into the game you go, the more bugs rear their heads. As you enter into more combat encounters, you’ll start to notice animation glitches such as characters awkwardly shuffling out of cover and firing without aiming their guns. You’ll see sprinting enemies glued to the spot. In what was supposed to be a particularly dramatic moment, I encountered my entire bridge crew T-posing which, while hilarious, undercut the emotional weight of the scene substantially.

During my thirty hours with the game, I often found myself needing to reload saves as characters would get stuck. Cutscenes occasionally wouldn’t play properly either, requiring me to skip through them. In combat, vital tooltips sometimes won’t appear, too, forcing you to guestimate your way through battles.

These issues are prevalent enough that no play session will be unmarred by glitches. Rogue Trader’s enjoyable combat, storytelling, and sense of scale are often overshadowed by this jankiness.

Tags:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

The_Mask wrote: December 5th, 2023, 22:33
Co-op in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
There's no way this isn't going to be a massively buggy mess.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I'm buying two copies just to spite the fag who wrote this wall of text.
Last edited by wndrbr on December 6th, 2023, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Slavjank was expected tbh. Guess I'll have to see about the combat for myself though.

-Humbaba
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Is this gonna be yet another game that's gonna need to be de-wokified with mods banned nearly everywhere?
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

It's OwlCat, so the question was never "if", but "how much" of the woke cancer needs to be cut out.

Sadly, I don't think it's possible to mod their games enough to remove the pozz.
Last edited by gerey on December 7th, 2023, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

gerey wrote: December 7th, 2023, 15:45
Sadly, I don't think it's possible to mod their games enough to remove the pozz.
Definitely is, modding Unity games is very easy. The major reason I strongly support using Unity over UE4/5.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 7th, 2023, 17:14
Definitely is, modding Unity games is very easy.
Yet neither Kingmaker, nor WOTR, have any mods of note.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

gerey wrote: December 7th, 2023, 17:45
Probably because neither are particularly good and therefore worth the time of modding. BG3 is, otoh, quite good.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

If I recall correctly, all of the dialogue in WOTR is in a single file per language. Someone with patience could relatively easily make the edits.
I think both games have a relatively large number of mods, but (ironically) most of them moved off the Nexus because of the change to how collections worked. I think most of those are on GitHub now, but there's not a repository. Hmm...if only they had had the idea of creating a site where all of their shitty furry mods or whatever could be kept in one place... :scratch:
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Playing through the tutorial area and yeah the game is woke.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

turn based combat mode was pretty huge.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Release Trailer:

maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Nooneatall wrote: December 7th, 2023, 21:30
Playing through the tutorial area and yeah the game is woke.
40Gay is woke.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Doesn't seem particularly "woke" to me so far tbh. It's just… alright. Not particularly good, I guess.
Leveling up a character and getting presented a billion different feat choices isn't fun for me. I don't want to sit there and go through each one to try to figure out which one is the best. I'm not a fan of buildfagging.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

already kinda bored, might pick it up again later
don't enjoy buildfagging and it keeps wanting me to level up multiple characters and pick between 5 gorillion different feats
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 8th, 2023, 02:27
Leveling up a character and getting presented a billion different feat choices isn't fun for me. I don't want to sit there and go through each one to try to figure out which one is the best. I'm not a fan of buildfagging.
Well, you just sold me on the game. Time to find a torrent.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

GhostCow wrote: December 8th, 2023, 03:11
rusty_shackleford wrote: December 8th, 2023, 02:27
Well, you just sold me on the game. Time to find a torrent.
might I suggest searching for "very big excel sheet file"?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Ooh, now you're piquing my interest.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

What good is the huge feat sheet, if half of those feats don't work, and the other half is imbalanced?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Starting it up... seeing a "bug report" button plastered on the screen that normally only exists in beta versions of games. Not a good sign.

Edit: they removed the made up symbols for male and female in the beta and went with Body Type 1 and 2
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on December 8th, 2023, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 8th, 2023, 04:16
Edit: they removed the made up symbols for male and female in the beta and went with Body Type 1 and 2
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

How did Russia manage to spawn a worse version of BioWare?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fails Rusty's Good Samaritan test, as expected. Owlscat wouldn't know how to make a reactive world if their ability to suck multiple cocks depended on it.
junior

Post by junior »

I spent most of my play time reading skill description etc but not sure if it even matters combat has been just a total faceroll. Systems themselves seem okaish. RT has really inconsistent frametimes for some reason, weird hiccups when I open an inventory, strange because their first title had exact same technical issues like they didn't progress at all. I wanna blame unity for it but it's probably just incompetency of the devs.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Loading screen...............janky dialog cutscene.............loading screen...........janky open map select location............loading screen..............janky dialog cutscene..........loading screen........you have arrived!.........loading screen

Holy fucking shit this is hot garbage

Post by 1998 »

Are the maps still as tiny as they were in WOTR?
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

wndrbr wrote: December 8th, 2023, 04:08
What good is the huge feat sheet, if half of those feats don't work, and the other half is imbalanced?
Figuring out which ones are which is half the fun. For people who swear to hate balance and LOVE notoriously unbalanced old school roleplaying systems and games, you sure care a lot about efficient game design. Curious!

-Humbaba