Tim Cain's magnum opus receives a facelift: The Outer Worlds Spacer's Choice Edition

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Tim Cain's magnum opus receives a facelift: The Outer Worlds Spacer's Choice Edition

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

A much needed remaster is coming out. A lot has changed since 2019 obviously and Generation Alpha mustn't be deprived of enjoying this seminal but ancient arr pee gee.

It has [glow=green]M O V I N G F O L I A G E[/glow] now https://archive.is/acQoC
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Heh, it's not even a free upgrade for anyone stupid enough to already own it. They want $10 for a performance patch.
GothGirlSupremacy

Post by GothGirlSupremacy »

I think I liked my life more when I forgot this game existed about three months after it released.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I don't think facelift is going to help this game. Paper bag and lots of whiskey on the other hand...

Still wouldn't.
cpmartins

Post by cpmartins »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: March 7th, 2023, 21:45

Reviews are in: it runs like fucking shit apparently. Very Negative at this moment
It's already up on multiple torrent sites if anyone is feeling adventurous. I will, of course, not download it.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

What a boring game.

Also, the visual aesthetic is awful. Fallout was looked 1950s. It borrowed the perfect, hopeful look of a different time.

This just looks gay, with its SJW haircuts and over-saturated color scheme.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

It really does look like Technicolor vomit, the AAA-equivalent of all those soy corporate images. If this was the Fallout game the New Vegas devs really wanted to make, then I'd rather Todd Howard give us a Fallout 4-2.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Out of all the obsidian games to do well enough financially to be worthy of a remaster just years after its release wtf did it have to be this one…

Even the modding community for this game seems paltry.
https://www.nexusmods.com/theouterworlds
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

BlueMemphis wrote: March 8th, 2023, 13:26
Even the modding community for this game seems paltry.
Modding UE4/5 games is painful. Slightly less so if they have blueprints('visual scripting'), but still nowhere near as easy as a Unity game.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Obsidian must be seething that Private Division is tanking their reputation with this lazy, counterproductive remaster. They should petition to have their name removed as a developer so it's just credited to Virtuos.
KnightoftheWind

Roguey wrote: March 8th, 2023, 14:40
Obsidian must be seething that Private Division is tanking their reputation with this lazy, counterproductive remaster. They should petition to have their name removed as a developer so it's just credited to Virtuos.
Yeah, Obsidian already tanked their reputation with the base Outer Worlds!.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 8th, 2023, 14:53
It sold millions and has a good Steam user score (though the $10 remaster has resulted in quite a number of recent downvotes), so I'd say not.
Shillitron

Post by Shillitron »

> Upgrade Engine from Unreal 4 to Unreal 5
> Hit Compile

Looks good.. Fucking ship it and charge 10 bucks to upgrade.

Obshitian in <current_year>. Boy oh Boy makes me excited for Skyrim PoE.
KnightoftheWind

Roguey wrote: March 8th, 2023, 16:59
It sold millions and has a good Steam user score (though the $10 remaster has resulted in quite a number of recent downvotes), so I'd say not.
Oh I don't care if it's "popular", that doesn't make it a quality game in it's own right. The game is filled to the brim with poz, and it's visuals are nauseating.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 8th, 2023, 13:28
Modding UE4/5 games is painful. Slightly less so if they have blueprints('visual scripting'), but still nowhere near as easy as a Unity game.
Ah fair enough, so it isn't reflective of a lack of interest among their community but a consequence of the engine itself.

Well, my only hope for this game was that mods could fix it , not unlike fallout 3 (since I know some people have strong negative feelings about it i'm using that as an example of a game salvaged by its mod community) but that was apparently too fabulously optimistic.
KnightoftheWind

Daggerfall Unity was refreshingly simple to mod when I last tried it. No extra launchers necessary, just plop the files into the mod folder and enable them from the in-game menu. I wish every game was like that...
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 8th, 2023, 17:37
Oh I don't care if it's "popular", that doesn't make it a quality game in it's own right. The game is filled to the brim with poz, and it's visuals are nauseating.
I don't think you understand what reputation means.
KnightoftheWind

Roguey wrote: March 9th, 2023, 00:49
KnightoftheWind wrote: March 8th, 2023, 17:37

I don't think you understand what reputation means.
Marvel films have a positive reputation, does that make them inherently good films?. Do not confuse mass appeal for genuine quality.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

If you check the comments on reddit and other vidya-related forums, you'll see how the opinion has shifted for the worse since release. Even the normies feel lukewarm at best, lots of posters complain how Obsidian has declined and how their current output can't be compared to the games they were churning out a decade ago.

If you check newsposts about Obsidian's possible involvement in the potential New Vegas sequel, you can see commenters claiming that they don't expect anything good after playing TOW.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

wndrbr wrote: March 9th, 2023, 01:19
If you check the comments on reddit and other vidya-related forums, you'll see how the opinion has shifted for the worse since release. Even the normies feel lukewarm at best, lots of posters complain how Obsidian has declined and how their current output can't be compared to the games they were churning out a decade ago.

If you check newsposts about Obsidian's possible involvement in the potential New Vegas sequel, you can see commenters claiming that they don't expect anything good after playing TOW.
Eh, internet forums represent vocal minorities but not necessarily consensus.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 9th, 2023, 00:58
Marvel films have a positive reputation, does that make them inherently good films?. Do not confuse mass appeal for genuine quality.
I get what you're saying and I'm sure Roguey does too, but you did start off this chain talking about reputation, not quality:
TOW was apparently popular, sadly. The remaster is a much worse hit to Obsdidian's reputation.
KnightoftheWind

What I mean to say is that regardless of reputation or popularity, those things do not equate to genuine quality. Many popular works are not inherently good works,
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 28th, 2023, 21:12
Outer Worlds is the Rick and Morty of RPGs, in other words- shit.
The early seasons of R+M were occasionally funny and witty. TOW is not. In fact the "funniest" joke in the game is a toilet full of peepee poopoo.
Kalin

Post by Kalin »

Exhilarating to see a remaster of the masterpiece that made world history being the first game ever to censor the word Pakistani. That and 1000 other "bad" words from the PC list straight from ADL of insensitive character names a person must not input (never mind it being single player).
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Kalin wrote: March 9th, 2023, 10:36
Exhilarating to see a remaster of the masterpiece that made world history being the first game ever to censor the word Pakistani. That and 1000 other "bad" words from the PC list straight from ADL of insensitive character names a person must not input (never mind it being single player).
You realize games today are always online. Don't you?

Single player lmao you're always being watched, your inputs registered.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Atlantico wrote: March 9th, 2023, 13:03
Kalin wrote: March 9th, 2023, 10:36
You realize games today are always online. Don't you?

Single player lmao you're always being watched, your inputs registered.
I just run my games in firejail with networking disabled. :king:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I wonder if there's any plans for Microsoft to have Obsidian and/or InXile transition to using Creation Engine for their action-oriented RPGs.
Would simultaneously remove the Epic cut which can be large for major developers, and move towards a more unified engine approach towards games.