Jagged Alliance 2

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 24th, 2023, 02:47
It's an RPG if you're schizophrenic.
The IMP process creates a merc based on Laptop Guy (the emails are worded this way and the questionnaire is designed this way, before the patches got rid of it and replaced with stat bars). So you choose whether you play as Laptop Guy (in which case it is not an RPG) or create your IMP, at which point it becomes an RPG. If you die, it becomes a tactics game again.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 24th, 2023, 02:47
It's an RPG if you're schizophrenic.
Lilura chances of joining RPGHQ have just dropped by 99%.
Hando

Post by Hando »

Good game but goes from satisfyingly challenging to mundanely easy literally overnight once you pick up some night vision goggles and a rifle with decent range.
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

aeternalis wrote: February 24th, 2023, 02:49
before the patches got rid of it and replaced with stat bars
Worth clarifying that those aren't patches, but a full blown engine modifications that turn JA2 into a very different game which veers away from the RPG aspect.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Used to think laptop guy and the IMP merc were one and the same with the choice of making an IMP just representing the decision whether your MC is the type to lead missions personally or not.
But over time i’ve come to think otherwise, other then the fact you can get your IMP merc killed and the game continues, that the president dude goes to your character for help rather then just going to the merc agencies directly hints to me that laptop guy is someone with connections and seniority in the merc business.

The game not outright telling you also gives you a bit of freedom to head canon the IMP merc’s relationship to laptop guy: s/he could be anything from your loyal second in command to a rookie merc you are grooming to replace you to become the future laptop guy/gal in later games.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Legitimately one of the best games ever created as far as I'm concerned. Aged very well, still an uncontested king of tactical games, even after decades of its release nothing even comes close. I still play it to this day.

Whether or not it's an RPG is irrelevant to its quality and I've never deeply thought upon this matter. Calling it a tactical game with rpg elements seems to be the most apt to me. I wouldn't classify it as a full fledged rpg, because character building is rather limited and there are no choices in this regard upon leveling up.

It has a few woke/leftist elements when more closely examined, but nothing big enough to significantly impact the experience of playing this game. It was made by Canadians after all so it's not really surprising, even for 1999.
aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

Consul wrote: February 25th, 2023, 11:39
It has a few woke/leftist elements when more closely examined, but nothing big enough to significantly impact the experience of playing this game. It was made by Canadians after all so it's not really surprising, even for 1999.
Probably Brenda's fault, lol
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

For those that played both: Do you prefer JA2 or 7.62 High Caliber's combat?
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

7.62 has some of the worst pathfinding I have seen in a game and most fights involve you setting up your squad to be prone at a chokepoint while hordes of enemies try to bumrush you and you have to manually designate each target/bullet while the game autopauses for every squad member. It's really nowhere near as good as JA2 and gets a pass because people like seeing new guns have different models compared to a 2D game.
cpmartins

Post by cpmartins »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 26th, 2023, 03:19
For those that played both: Do you prefer JA2 or 7.62 High Caliber's combat?
Maggot wrote: February 26th, 2023, 17:20
7.62 has some of the worst pathfinding I have seen in a game and most fights involve you setting up your squad to be prone at a chokepoint while hordes of enemies try to bumrush you and you have to manually designate each target/bullet while the game autopauses for every squad member. It's really nowhere near as good as JA2 and gets a pass because people like seeing new guns have different models compared to a 2D game.
Not only that, JA2 even without any on the newer mods is more fun than 7.62 will ever be. The whole of JA2 oozes with atmosphere, the characters are great, the voices are amazing and it's turn-based. 7.62 has none of those qualities.