Wartales — RELEASED

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

The early access tag combined with the price wards me away from trying it but on paper i do like what i’m seeing.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Wartales launches out of Early Access on April 12th!
https://steamcommunity.com/games/152795 ... 8511983497
► Show Spoiler
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

>Strong wahmen with big sword
Extremely cringe trailer. Pass.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

That's a woman? Also, that was some really terrible animation.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 6075919653
Choose your destiny

We have redesigned the interface at the beginning of the game
!
We wanted to rework it and make it more aesthetically pleasing. Additionally, we have revamped the layout so that the choices at the beginning of the game are clearer and more obvious.
For example, few players knew that it was possible to play without scaling. In fact, the exploration mode now has its own interface. Between adaptive exploration
(scaling) and zoned exploration
(similar to more classic RPGs), the choice is yours!

The destiny choices have been rebalanced
Each setting option now has more information

Revamped Difficulty

Wartales is a demanding game. From the very first minute, your mercenary troop is dropped into a wild and violent world where wolves and bandits are out to get you.

Your feedback tends to show that the difficulty decreases over time. Indeed, mercenaries gain power quickly by accumulating powerful skills and ways to generate Valour points, thus allowing for new possibilities to defeat your enemies. In doing so, the fragile assassin who had to be cleverly placed could, after certain levels, wander through the enemy ranks and annihilate everything.

We are convinced that the notion of challenge is part of the Wartales DNA.
Therefore this patch seeks to:

Make the easy mode less punishing and the hard mode more challenging

Not alter the beginning of the game/new game experience

Reinvigorate the late game with some added challenge

In order to achieve this, we’ve made a lot of changes.

First off, you can now change difficulty
(survival and/or combat) during a save
! You may have to be more careful in battle and perhaps rethink your team composition. From now on, your sense of tactics and strategy will have an even more decisive impact. If the battle seems too difficult, don't hesitate to retreat and reduce the difficulty until you find your feet.

For all modes, we wanted to keep the enemy stats curve unchanged: there's nothing more unpleasant than facing invincible monsters.

New units and passive skills have been given to your enemies
, seasoned soldiers join their ranks, as well as an improved deployment system and the timeline aims to offer more interesting combat starts.
The number of animals in a fight has been reduced
to avoid waiting several turns for everyone to play: meaning there are fewer but more powerful animals.
Overall, we have reduced the difference in the number of units between your units and the enemy units
. If too many units were to be generated, they would be dispersed in the form of reinforcements.
We believe these changes are in line with what you want and what we want to do: exploit the finesse of the combat system mechanics as a whole to solve situations and have an unforgettable turn-based experience!

Willpower has also been rebalanced so that galvanisation can occur earlier in long fights.
The majority of the content (Elites, Arenas, Tombs, …) has been rebalanced to be in line with our new system!
The differences between the difficulties have been accentuated
The Path challenges have also been rebalanced
Stats given by Legendary items were too high: they have been rebalanced
Inquisition and Trackers are now eligible to trigger an Assassination contract
Gosenberg should now have Inquisition contracts
The Elites’ skills pattern now evolves according to your number of units in scaled mode

Economy
A lot of feedback echoed the following issue: players felt they were spending too much of their time paying their troop’s wages without any real benefit.

We still firmly believe that the core idea of balance and paying your troops is part of the game's identity and we want to keep this feature, however, we also want players to enjoy doing it and not see it as a hindrance or nuisance

We realized that the rhythm did not allow the player to organize themselves properly. The payment rhythm has therefore been rethought: instead of having to pay your troop every 72 hours, you must now pay it every 3 Rests
. In addition to allowing more time to organise your troop, it becomes easier to plan an expedition and to know when your troop will expect to get their wages.
Paying your troop on time gives a new bonus to Happiness and to experience gained in combat!
The cost of wages has been slightly reduced.
You now begin the game with more resources.
You can earn more Krowns from Contracts.
Contracts’ difficulties have been rebalanced.
Some items’ prices have been rebalanced.
The influence cost for certain actions have been rebalanced. Plus, the rewards have also been increased.
The starting resources have been rebalanced to offer a slightly easier start.
Earning profession experience has been rebalanced for all professions so it is now faster to level up.

Note that these changes are adapted to your difficulty settings

Units

As mentioned above, enemy units have undergone some changes

The leaders' abilities have been revised to be managed throughout a fight: they now only stop when the leader dies and their impact will adapt accordingly.
Seasoned soldiers have been introduced: veteran enemy units in the ranks that are more resistant and more dangerous (a must-have!)
Each enemy faction also welcomes a new unit into its ranks.
Each enemy faction has a new common passive skill that will intensify the fighting!
Enemies’ shield will have new skills after they reach a certain level and some enemies will be equipped with throwing weapons.
Some animals will also have a common passive skill and a brand new skill!

We didn't want to release an update where we just increased the difficulty. So new units have been created
and new items have been added to them, which means that we are also expanding your build options. New shields
, new weapons
, new armor
: new ways to set up your team! Therefore:

New units have been added for each faction
:
Outlaws New unit -> Criminal
Deserters New unit -> Looter
Guards New unit -> Defender
Legion New unit -> Hothead
Companions New unit -> Peacekeeper
Inquisition New unit -> Messenger
Trackers New unit -> Pursuer

A brand new faction, Alazar soldiers, has been added
: new units, new skills, new items to loot…
Former weekly bounties with special weapons are now offered in the various regions!

Balancing

Weapons

Arena Great Falchion Damage [80%-100%] -> [60%-80%]
Mehyt's Kopis Damage [80%-100%] -> [70%-90%]
Arena Bow Damage [80%] -> [70%]
Narses' Bow Damage [60%-100%] -> [50%-90%]
Arena Dagger Damage [60%-80%] -> [40%-60%]
Arena Spear Damage [40%] -> [30%]
Horoun's Partisan Damage [80%-100%] -> [70%-90%]
Arena Axe Damage [50%-70%] -> [40%-60%]
Arena Spiked Mace Damage [30%-50%] -> [20%-40%]
Erkeshet's Mace Damage [60%-80%] -> [50%-60%]
Arena Heater Shield Damage [40%-50%] -> [30%-40%]
Paladin's Roundel Damage [40%-50%] -> [30%-40%]
Throwing Hatchet Damage [40%-60%] -> [25%-50%]
Ghost Throwing Hatchet Damage [45%-65%] -> [30%-55%]
Rimesteel Throwing Hatchet Damage [50%-70%] -> [35%-60%]
Throwing Knife Damage [20%-60%] -> [25%-50%]
Ghost Throwing Knife Damage [25%-65%] -> [30%-55%]
Rimesteel Throwing Knife Damage [30%-70%] -> [35%-60%]
Throwing Sickle Damage [20%-60%] -> [20%-50%]
Ghost Throwing Sickle Damage [25%-65%] -> [25%-55%]
Rimesteel Throwing Sickle Damage [30%-70%] -> [30%-60%]
Ringleader's Dagger Damage [70%] -> [60%]
Rancher's Pitchfork Damage [50%-80%] -> [30%-50%]
Shiv Damage [80%-100%] -> [30%-50%]
Brotherhood Two-handed Axe Damage [70%-90%] -> [80%-110%]
Herald of the Eye Damage [70%-110%] -> [35%-50%]
Lucilla Damage [150%] -> [135%]
Viper Damage [60%] -> [50%]
The Indomitable One Damage [50%] -> [40%]
Devotion Damage [80%-100%] -> [70%-90%]
Liberator Damage [120%] -> [80%]
Prosperity Damage [80%] -> [70%]
Glory Damage [80%-100%] -> [70%-90%]
Victorious Damage [80%] -> [65%-75%]
Dagan's Hammer Damage [60%] -> [40%]
Behedite's Kris Damage [60%-80%] -> [55%-75%]

Skills

Bite Damage [80%-100%] -> [65%-85%]
Ferocious Bite Damage [80%-100%] -> [65%-100%]
Nibbling Damage [80%-100%] -> [50%-70%]
Deep Bite Damage [80%-100%] -> [65%-85%]
Wrath Damage [50%-80%] -> [45%-65%]
Destabilising Strike Damage [90%-110%] -> [70%-90%]
Laceration Damage [75%] -> [65%]
Recoil Shot Damage [70%-110%] -> [60%-100%]
Petrifying Sickle Throw Damage [20%-60%] -> [20%-50%]
Poisoned Knife Throw Damage [20%-60%] -> [20%-50%]
Poisoned Impact Damage [70%] -> [55%]
Weakening Blow Damage [80%-100%] -> [70%-90%]
Relentless Charge Damage [65%] -> [55%]
Cutting Maelstrom Damage [35%] -> [30%]
Rampage Damage [30%-45%] -> [30%-40%]
Piercing Throw Damage [50%] -> [40%]
Instinctive Throw Damage [25%] -> [20%]
Frenzy Damage [35%-45%] -> [30%-40%]
I should probably work on finishing the WYSIWYG editor, copy+pasting sucks
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Zoner wrote: February 19th, 2023, 02:21
From what I remember all combat has guaranteed hits, removing RNG for that bit.
Removed from my whishlist, thanks bro.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

GhostCow wrote: March 24th, 2023, 03:22
>Strong wahmen with big sword
Extremely cringe trailer. Pass.
and hideous too wtf
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

1.0 out, 25% discount active.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 7403101852

Wartales, despite some hesitations like w*men units, gets the Rusty seal of approval.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Wartales is fun. Just play as all male merc company and enslave only women combatants.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Sweeper wrote: April 5th, 2023, 12:01
Zoner wrote: February 19th, 2023, 02:21
From what I remember all combat has guaranteed hits, removing RNG for that bit.
Removed from my whishlist, thanks bro.
Don't really feel like it detracted from my experience tbh, if anything I felt like Battle Brothers went way too far in the RNG direction with some fights feeling like I was just playing a dice rolling simulator.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fargus wrote: April 12th, 2023, 18:58
Wartales is fun. Just play as all male merc company and enslave only women combatants.
In my last playthrough I stopped by the jail shortly after starting and found a bear there I could recruit. Comment text was something like "How the hell did a bear get in here?!"
That bear kicked ass. :king:
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 13th, 2023, 08:50
Fargus wrote: April 12th, 2023, 18:58
In my last playthrough I stopped by the jail shortly after starting and found a bear there I could recruit. Comment text was something like "How the hell did a bear get in here?!"
That bear kicked ass. :king:
I captured some bears in Ludern last time, now they can be encountered in regular woods too from what i heard. They were pretty susceptible to poison, bleeding and fire damage. I'll try to not use animals in combat this time because i don't want to overcrowd my gang and fight large groups of enemies and i need more human characters with professions instead.

They added some new yetti like creatures and snow variants of wolves and bears btw.

Dialogues are voiced now and the quality of voice acting reminds me of eurojank rpgs which is kinda charming. Personally i never asked for this. There is a bug that makes male recruits in taverns speak with femoid voices like trannies lol.

New ghost leather armor and weapons look really cool.

Helmets are still missing *despair*, they 'promise' to add them post release.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Has anyone played this in multiplayer? How does that work?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fargus wrote: April 13th, 2023, 11:55
I'll try to not use animals in combat this time because i don't want to overcrowd my gang and fight large groups of enemies and i need more human characters with professions instead.
Animals have the bonus of only needing food and no money, meaning you can upkeep them perpetually by fighting boars or something in the woods.

Another tip is to unlock everything locked, as it doesn't count as stealing and you get the profession XP for it. The stealing happens upon actually taking an owned item, rather than unlocking the container.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

admin password is "sh1r0;" without the quotation marks, including the semicolon
you open the console command with '/' ingame
type "admin sh1r0;"

not sure what you'd want to use it for, but I spent a good deal of time figuring it out(including reverse engineering the haxe binary) but it was no use in what I wanted it for: to get rid of the annoying timing miningames.

devs who try to hide this shit are assholes of the highest magnitude by the way
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 15th, 2023, 17:14
to get rid of the annoying timing miningames.
got it
so the problem is that the game uses a custom binary format
but I solved that problem
and there's a problem that the game doesn't load loose files, they have to be packed using their proprietary format
but I solved that problem

luckily they also (arbitrarily) decided to load not just res.pak but resN.pak afterwards, so it's easy to overwrite single files. The game was not made to be moddable, so, this was just luck.

anyways, there was a simple tweak to make the circles always full for the minigames, if anyone is interested I'll post it
reminds me of mass effect 2 and alpha protocol-tier minigames
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

gud game, going to take a break because it's kinda addictive and I got other shit to do

rusty approved/10, need to make a mod to remove female recruits
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Yep this game is like narcotic for me and time flies really fast with it.

And aside from femoid warrior galore and some danger ("warrior") hairstyles its generally free from modern cringe: no bodytype or pronouns only man and woman, no niggers in european fantasy setting, even though it would be easy to add them and explain it lorewise, haven't seen any gay shit yet either. Women faces could be less ugly though. They really need to add mod support.

Lore is a lot better than i thought originally, with some ocassional xenophobia here and there. Tiltren goes through edoranian refugee crisis where you can help people to get rid of the refugee menace which is kinda based. And i noticed that edoranians are hated outside of Tiltren too, ludern folk fought with them before and one woman referred to them as vermin. And you have alazarians as well who behave like you know who.

However i think they nerfed the difficulty a tad in general, and elites in particular. I killed two already and they are effortlessly easy. Arena still easy as fuck, but they added a hard mode for arena now after you beat it once.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fargus wrote: April 16th, 2023, 09:08
Lore is a lot better than i thought originally,
It starts off very slow, but yes, there's a good deal of worldbuilding/storyline. Rather liked the ruins, btw.

A critique I had of the EA where it just threw you into situations without explaining much makes more sense now: There's short in-game cutscenes when entering certain areas that weren't part of early access that explain things.
Fargus wrote: April 16th, 2023, 09:08
They really need to add mod support.
They could actually trivially do so in two steps:
  • Get rid of "packed" content, provide all content as loose files,
  • Load files from an override folder that can override builtin files
This is something that can be completed in about a day's work. If they wanted to go further, allow partial overrides of the game's single-file database.

Gamedevs insist upon doing something because that was the way it has always been done(usually due to technical constraints), so they, in this case, repeatedly reinvent… filesystems.

I like that you can capture/enslave pretty much anything unless it's specifically marked as something that can't be captured/enslaved.

Also, yeah, the refugees are major dicks. Other than the girl that wants the abandoned farm. Most areas don't really have a clear 'good guy' side though, great for RPing a mercenary company.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

time for some
~HQ EXCLOOSIVE CONTENT~
Want to mod Wartales? Don't know how? Don't worry, neither does anyone else except for Rusty!

Here's a python script that can extract/pack .pak files(yes, it's massive, it's machine generated — don't ask):
https://anonfiles.com/U260F4l4z2/pak_py_zip
(If there's demand I'll just host it on rpghq's servers)
It has trouble with some files and therefore can't repack entire .paks. Uhh... sorry? I didn't need it.

How to extract a .pak file:

Code: Select all

python pak.py -x res.pak
optionally accepts an `-out OUT_DIR` param
in this example the contents of res.pak are output to a directory called 'res'

How to pack a .pak file:

python pak.py
This will pack the contents of 'res' directory to 'res.pak'

How to pack a .pak file from an arbitrary directory:

python pak.py -res DIR_NAME
This will pack the contents of `DIR_NAME` to … `res.pak`. You need to add an `-out` parameter to change the output .pak name e.g., `-out DIR.pak`.

Therefore, if we wanted to extract the game's database, edit it, and override it we would do the following:
  • Create a new directory.
  • Copy res.pak to the directory.
  • Extract res.pak using `python -out out pak.py` in the new directory.
  • Delete the copy of res.pak you moved to the new directory, !!!NOT THE ORIGINAL!!!
  • Make a directory simply titled `res` in your new directory.
  • Move the files you want to alter into the `res` directory from `out` maintaining the same directory structure.
    • In this case, we want 'data.cdb' inside 'out', so just copy+paste data.cdb to res
    • You may safely delete the 'out' directory now.
  • Edit data.cdb to make your changes.
    • For an example, we'll do a tweak to make the logging/mining minigame always be a full circle.
    • Open data.cdb, search for "MiningRangeTorusMin", change the value parameter from 0.2 to 1.0. Do the same for "MiningRangeTorusMax", increasing it to 1.0. This affects both logging & mining.
    • Save.
  • We now need to repack it. From the new directory root(!NOT! inside 'res'), use the command `python pak.py -out res1`. It will output a file called 'res1.pak'.
  • Copy this file to your Wartales directory.
  • Verify ingame the override works.
  • !!!IMPORTANT!!! Repeat this if the game updates. If you're on Steam, disable automatic updates. As you override the entire data.cdb, you're stomping on potential changes.
Notes about pak naming:
The game only loads extra paks titled `resN.pak` where N is a positive integer. It loads them in succession, so if you have res2.pak but no res1.pak, res2.pak will not be loaded. Important!

Here's the code for loading .paks if curious:
► Show Spoiler
I haven't tested overriding the other .pak files, but I think it should work with the same resN.pak naming scheme. This is our hook into the engine to trick it into loading our files.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Also I have no idea what will happen if you crank these really high, but it sounds like it could be fun:

{
					"id": "CaravanLimit",
					"value": 10,
					"info": "Limit caravans in the world at the same time"
				},
				{
					"id": "PatrolLimit",
					"value": 5
				},
				{
					"id": "AmbushRoamingLimit",
					"value": 5
				},
And some of you are probably looking for this:

{
					"id": "CameraMinDistance",
					"value": 30
				},
				{
					"id": "CameraMaxDistance",
					"value": 40
				},
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Every time I see another tactical RPG, I always wish Shining Force could be brought back.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

KnightoftheWind wrote: April 16th, 2023, 14:24
Every time I see another tactical RPG, I always wish Shining Force could be brought back.
Shining Force is Satanic though...
KnightoftheWind

Yes thank you for your input, protestant. Go back to sucking that jew cock.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

KnightoftheWind wrote: April 16th, 2023, 14:39
I suck Satan's cock and hate Jesus the Jewish son of God.
That's an admirable admission from the pagan Satanist.
KnightoftheWind

MadPreacher wrote: April 16th, 2023, 14:57
KnightoftheWind wrote: April 16th, 2023, 14:39
I suck Satan's cock and hate Jesus the Jewish son of God.
That's an admirable admission from the pagan Satanist.
I misinterpret scripture to suit any narrative I want
It pains me to think that weak cuckolds like you consider yourselves "Christians", what a sorry state we find ourselves in. I only wish your ancestors were hanged so that the Faith could have been saved in the West. Instead you give us a Fast Food, Disney version of Christianity where Christ is a jew and therefore all jews must be deepthroated and massaged like kings. The jew loves the protestant cuckold.

"May his blood be upon us and our children for all time", know who said that?- the very jews you kiss up to. They hate Christ, they hate you, but I guess we should love them because my "pastor" Jim Bob Jones told me "his version" of scripture. Oh wait, but should you trust Jim Bob?, or Bertha the Transvestite Evangelical who also interprets zer's version of scripture as being pro-trans?. Oh Moloch, this is so complicated!. The wonders of interpretation!.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

KnightoftheWind wrote: April 16th, 2023, 19:45
I violate the Word of God because I'm a Satanic piece of shit. Satan's cock is best as his semen. I can't stop gulping it down.
You don't say.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This game has some of the smoothest, for lack of a better word, turn-based combat in any game. Everything just 'clicks' right. The micro-grid really helps with positioning. Really like the action economy tbh.

Hope the devs make a game with more complicated combat in the future.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

The game is easier than i remember, i have already killed three elites and each of them was a fucking joke. Alexa in Vertruse easy, the zombie whore in Ludern easy, Lund in Tiltren died after 2-3 attacks... I mean they were def. tougher and more dangerous before, Lund at least. Vertruse arena was a snoozefest. Ludern arena was ok but kinda tedious just like the region itself. The game became a cakewalk. Ludern posed some challenges, but in the end it was pretty easy too. Fire bow for crocswine and infected and wait till they all burn alive. I had some difficulties in Ludern Tomb but only because creatures in tombs have buff in the shadows and debuff when they are illuminated and i had only two mercs with torches. And the tomb itself was rather big.

I would say the game is easier than the easiest difficulty in Battle Brothers but this is a bad comparison because BB is a try hard autism and the easiest difficulty there is just hard light and you either love it or hate it. The devs of BB are sado-masochists that nerf every aspect of the game in every patch.

Anyway... the region of Ludern is very gloomy and atmospheric and reminds me of some of the most dangerous parts of Vvardenfell from Morrowind. Another thing i also liked that you can't possibly defeat the Beast (sorta end boss for Ludern) and just have to run for your lives. And i also sided with the Ludern barbarians against the Alazar covid kikes.

Food isn't an issue anymore, you don't even need to take food reducing perks because they are trash anyway. I already have food for 25 days and the storage just keeps growing lol. I guess my fault because i should increase economic difficulty but then it probably would mean more wagecuckery like before.

And i like that you don't need to wagecuck as much as before and gold is easier to come by. Grinding contracts repeatedly like in BB or hunting was one of the reasons i never finished every region in one playthrough despite spending a lot of time with the game.

You still need to hunt a lot if you want to buy blueprints from trackers. They only accept animal fangs.

Despite that Wartales is fun as fuck for me, because i just love the autistic flow of the game. And games like that in general. Wartales is overall a competent game just need to be a tad more difficult. It's pretty successful too it seems i've seen around 30 thousand player peak on steam yesterday.

And another thing i've noticed is that some parts of the game are still unfinished, in the path tab you have 4 locked perks for each path with the "coming soon" label. I mean it's 1.0? They didn't bother to add helmets, but it's not a deal breaker. But one particular issue i have is that animals are acting like human companions. Mercs can randomly befriend them, they are affected by events like humans, i even heard that mercs can fall in love with animals... like what the actual fucking fuck? I hope it's not intentional. Likely just lazily implemented and needs of an overhaul.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fargus wrote: April 17th, 2023, 23:27
You still need to hunt a lot if you want to buy blueprints from trackers. They only accept animal fangs.
I just steal them and use the animal fangs to buy ghost hide.
I agree they need a higher difficulty level added.

Got to Ludern last night, really liked the haunted villages.

Strangely despite being constantly compared to it, I actually don't find it much like Battle Brothers at all. Battle Brothers felt much more aimless, like a sandbox game.

You can get a ton of fangs from plague rat hives btw.