We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

King Arthur: Legion IX

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

King Arthur: Legion IX

Post by 1998 »

A Brief Summary of King Arthur: Legion IX

On the 9th of May, 2024, King Arthur: Legion IX will be released on Steam, which means there are only two days left. Before that date, we would like to give you a quick summary of the game, with helpful links to the more detailed blog posts about various features.

King Arthur: Legion IX is a dark fantasy tactical role-playing game that takes place in the universe of King Arthur: Knight's Tale. It tells the story of an undead Roman Legion, whose members traverse the Underworlds of Tartarus and end up in a strange Avalon, twisted by the mad nightmares of Arthur. See our latest trailer to get a feel for the atmosphere!
  • The protagonist of the game is Gaius Julius Mento, the tribune of the Ninth Legion, and he will be able to tackle various missions in a party of five combatants that could include the Flamen of Orcus, the Flamina of Vesta, the Praetorian, Sicarius, and the Centurion - you will get to know them better through dialogue and exploration.
  • As he travels Avalon searching for the lost members of the Legion, Gaius makes various decisions that will push him towards a morality stance. He could either embrace his demonic urges or he might regain his humanity. It's all up to you, the player, however! These decisions will drastically alter the narrative, including the endgame portion.
  • There is also the matter of establishing a flourishing Roman colony on Avalon: you will rebuild Nova Roma and set out to make it the centre of a potential Eternal Rome. This city will serve as your headquarters, here you can build and upgrade various buildings (like the Lararium) that will provide items, bonuses and titles for your characters. You should make preparations here between missions to ensure swift victory against all kinds of enemy types, for Avalon is full of dangerous mythical creatures and vicious opportunists. Not to mention, the Lord of Camelot is still around...

In essence, you will get a complete new story with a 30-hour campaign, a challenging endgame mode, multiple side events, arena fights, and the branching story also encourages players to go for an alternate playthrough. It is a standalone release at the starting price of $19.99, and while this game does not require owning and knowing King Arthur: Knight's Tale, returning players will certainly benefit from it (and can prepare for a little surprise at launch).

Eligible supporters of our original Kickstarter campaign will be receiving codes for Legion IX at release, make sure to check your e-mails! Also don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

And if you haven't done this yet, please wishlist the game, and make sure to check back when the date arrives!
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 8th, 2024, 17:52, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Split, fixup title
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

It appears to be a standalone game rather than DLC so I split it into a separate thread.
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

I don't get the appeal of this game. Tried the original several times and couldn't force myself to continue. I guess the lack of gear custmization and sneaking knights in plate armor turned me away.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 8th, 2024, 20:04
I don't get the appeal of this game. Tried the original several times and couldn't force myself to continue. I guess the lack of gear custmization and sneaking knights in plate armor turned me away.
You definitely need to give it another shot. It's one of the better RPGs of the last decade.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

You probably won't like it if you don't like tacticool RPGs though. Especially ones on the harder side, if you don't cheese it you'll find it has multiple difficulty spikes every time you think you understand the game.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Rusty should make liking this game a requirement for continued membership at RPGHQ.ORG.

Post by 1998 »

My biggest issue with it was the length. Especially after each spike, I felt pretty burned out at first going through the same setup again and again. This one here has really the potential to be even better.
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

Nah unless those two issues are resolved Im afraid Ill never be able to appreciate the greatness of this marvel.

Post by 1998 »

Out now...everything but a strong GOTY contender would be disappointing
fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

So, is this any good? Game play, non-Paeliryo... wokestry... ?
If combat is "souls-like", i.e. Elden Ring or harder, I'm outta here... :headbang: :mrgreen:
Last edited by fkirenicus on May 9th, 2024, 19:59, edited 2 times in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

fkirenicus wrote: May 9th, 2024, 19:55
So, is this any good? Game play, non-Paeliryo... wokestry... ?
If combat is "souls-like", i.e. Elden Ring or harder, I'm outta here... :headbang: :mrgreen:
It's a top down turn based game.

If it's llike the previous game, it's not (or minimally) woke. The other thread has extensive answers.

I don't know what non-Paeliryo means.
fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

Acrux wrote: May 9th, 2024, 20:05
I don't know what non-Paeliryo means.
It's just a joke, but a damn good one. :lol:
viewtopic.php?p=92460-various-tabletop- ... ead#p92460
Last edited by fkirenicus on May 9th, 2024, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1998 »

According to the Steam reviews, they have removed the injury system. That would indeed be a pretty substantial change.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

He's right, btw. In the first game they actually made a new Easy difficulty before launch because the easiest difficulty was still too difficult for many people. So the existing 'Normal' difficulty is actually what was previously 'Easy'.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

HOLY SHITFUCK, WTF HAPPENED TO THE VA!? The first game had voice acting ranging from amazing (Mordred) to passable. This one sounds like a fanmade expansion. Main character is oh-so-zanny! HAHA, HE IS DEAD, SO FUNEEH! I won't be surprised if Neeshka is in the game, she would fit right in. Skilltree is fully unlocked, zero mystery. New classes don't feel fresh, but rather a gimmicky version of the old ones.

First impression is not good, sadly. Maybe it gets better (tm), who knows?

Post by 1998 »

Eyestabber wrote: May 11th, 2024, 02:22
HOLY SHITFUCK, WTF HAPPENED TO THE VA!? The first game had voice acting ranging from amazing (Mordred) to passable. This one sounds like a fanmade expansion. Main character is oh-so-zanny! HAHA, HE IS DEAD, SO FUNEEH! I won't be surprised if Neeshka is in the game, she would fit right in. Skilltree is fully unlocked, zero mystery. New classes don't feel fresh, but rather a gimmicky version of the old ones.

First impression is not good, sadly. Maybe it gets better (tm), who knows?
VA is not that bad. I think its in part also the writing that makes it a bit cringe, like that bath house chatter.

Post by 1998 »

I get why they removed the injury system. It can be frustrating to have won a mission, but also lost at the same time. But damn, without injuries the stakes are just so much lower, especially during the last fight on a mission. As long as you survive with one HP you are fine.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2739830/ ... 171657248/

Damn, even Steam drones are going ham on the voice acting. I have no clue what was going on in their heads, the first game was very grounded and the voice acting was quite "conservative". Now it's like they hired some Larian dejects or something. Gaius Julius Mento is the zanniest undead.

Post by 1998 »

Guess it helped to play Zoria with true Fiverr VA just before, still think it's serviceable. Worst than the first one? Sure. But not that bad that I am just muting.

Post by 1998 »

Eyestabber wrote: May 14th, 2024, 00:20
https://steamcommunity.com/app/2739830/ ... 171657248/

Damn, even Steam drones are going ham on the voice acting. I have no clue what was going on in their heads, the first game was very grounded and the voice acting was quite "conservative". Now it's like they hired some Larian dejects or something. Gaius Julius Mento is the zanniest undead.
OK but there they are mostly complaining about the mixing, not the actually VA.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

1998 wrote: May 13th, 2024, 15:43
I get why they removed the injury system. It can be frustrating to have won a mission, but also lost at the same time.
I disagree with this, winning at a cost is good design not bad. It's the essence of winning a battle to lose the war.

Post by 1998 »

Just finished 8/15 mission.

It's still enjoyable in some ways, but it feels very different to the main game.

There are only 6 heroes, that's why there is also no injury system. But of course, that also removes all the squad building, and even in terms of skills and equipment everything seems pretty straightforward. In general, the game feels much more linear. It tries to break away from it by for example removing a certain hero from one mission, but all this is hard scripted so it doesn't really matter.

It feels a bit like a JRPG in that regard. Everything that is added, feels like a gimmick because none of it is optional and the game knows at every stage exactly how the player's party looks like.

It's also much, much easier. I am playing it on very hard though, not max. difficulty. Still, so far I was not even close to losing a single hero. Throughout every single mission, you feel totally in control, that's much different compared to the first game. I rarely dip into my HP pool and can reserve campfire armor recharge for the final fight. Of course, without injuries, you can just be lazy and finish it quickly without much thought.

Post by 1998 »

Finished the main story. Yes, there are still 3 missions and the true ending left, but I literally had to check my difficulty settings after this one. The last mission was probably the easiest in both games. Still don't really understand what was going on there, it was just way too easy.

Buuuut I died once during mission 10! Made a mistake during the first turn, that pretty much wrecked me. It's all about setting up the first turn correctly, after that the fight is pretty much over every single time.

Edit: Apparently I am too retarded to count to 15, that was indeed the final mission.

Last edited by 1998 on May 19th, 2024, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.