We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Everspace 2 — It's pretty good

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Everspace 2 — It's pretty good

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Any of you play this?

Just got an update recently. Unlike the previous game, it's not a roguelike but a story-based spess RPG. Didn't detect any pozz. Some of the mechanics are too streamlined for my liking such as the economy, but the combat/flying is good fun. If, for whatever reason, you don't like arcade-style flight you can disable it in the options and have 'troo' newtonian physics.

The game can be quite difficult on the harder options.

From my previous post on this game:
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 15th, 2024, 18:33
It's not open world but it has a bunch of regions you travel between. Each region has a lot of puzzles & secrets. Good combat. Controls are very good. Art is fantastic.
Cons: Trading isn't very in-depth, and there's no real companions, just temporary ones. I get lost a lot, it appears I'm not very good at navigating the void of space, you can only place up to 3 markers per zone for whatever reason. Story is meh, which wouldn't be a big deal but they put too much emphasis on it. Controls feel designed for a controller rather than M+KB.

There's also an option to disable the stuff that makes the flying less arcade-y and makes it more like a simulation in terms of physics.

Also didn't encounter any libtard shit.
Also also they've released two major free updates and more are coming.
Other critiques I'd add:
  • You can't get up and walk around your ship. I know this sounds weird, but it's something I like to see.
  • You can't build your ship. You can change individual parts like equipment, and there are a bunch of ships to pick from with their own unique bonuses/maluses(incl. feats, unique abilities, etc.,) but there's no actual building of ships.
Don't focus on finding secrets BTW, you'll unlock stuff later that will assist you in this.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 29th, 2024, 17:16, edited 3 times in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

I toyed with the first one, it looked cool, and I meant to get into it, but every time I play a space flight game I want to setup the joystick and HOTAS, and If I remember right, I had issues getting it to work well initially and just moved on. Have you tried to play this with a stick and accessories?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: April 29th, 2024, 17:26
I toyed with the first one, it looked cool, and I meant to get into it, but every time I play a space flight game I want to setup the joystick and HOTAS, and If I remember right, I had issues getting it to work well initially and just moved on. Have you tried to play this with a stick and accessories?
Just KB+M, it worked alright.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I haven't played it recently, but the combat is decent for a space shooter and you have decent build options & choices. But unfortunately it suffers from the problem where every new system starts feeling the same as the last one, and I couldn't finish it.

I preferred the light/agile class of vessels once I got a good handle on using boosting and strafing, but the game does throw situations at you that give advantages to using a heavier vessel with heavier loadouts.
Last edited by somerandomdude on April 29th, 2024, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Played it a bit. Way too arcadey for me. I found it boring
nyxnyx

Post by nyxnyx »

It's pretty neat; art style was a bit too cartoony for my taste and music sounded like something you'd use in Abu Ghraib to torture people, but otherwise a solid package.

Flying without inertia dampeners was especially fun and helped offset some of that arcade feel to it - somewhat similar to Elite Dangerous with flight assist off.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

It looks like Star Fox for adults.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

OnTilt wrote: April 29th, 2024, 20:31
It looks like Star Fox for adults.
It's definitely more of an arcade flight game than a simulator if that's what you're referring to.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

Nothing impresses me after playing x series (for space games)
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

gastovski wrote: April 29th, 2024, 22:00
Nothing impresses me after playing x series (for space games)
Not really in the same genre at all
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

If you like space games with an economy and in depth nothing beats Starsector. You can get it off their website, or use a key to get the full game for free (keg can be found on Sseth’s video). Here is a discord for it, more lenient than the gay ‘official’ discord.
https://discord.gg/T65335Kk

And here is a discord link to the based Starsector channel, they will ban you for censoring your slurs

https://discord.gg/wRx2CPgT
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 29th, 2024, 17:11
You can't get up and walk around your ship. I know this sounds weird, but it's something I like to see.
Your ships are not that large, cabin-wise. The largest would be smaller than a full sized camper truck.
Rand

Post by Rand »

The first one is perfectly designed for a mouse and keyboard, imo.
Played it all the way through a bunch of times.
Never completed enough runs to get the full ending, though.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Cogemeister wrote: April 30th, 2024, 03:24
And here is a discord link to the based Starsector channel, they will ban you for censoring your slurs
That's very based indeed!
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Rand wrote: April 30th, 2024, 03:36
That's very based indeed!
Both of those discords are better than the “official” one anyway because if you ask a question or want to discuss something people actually will; bigger discords faggots and trannies just post retarded ‘memes’ and don’t even discuss the game itself.
Last edited by Cogemeister on April 30th, 2024, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

If you like space games with an economy and in depth nothing beats Starsector. You can get it off their website, or use a key to get the full game for free (keg can be found on Sseth’s video). Here is a discord for it, more lenient than the gay ‘official’ discord.

I ain't touching any of 2d bullshit
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

gastovski wrote: April 30th, 2024, 08:57

I ain't touching any of 2d bullshit
That’s kind of why I put off on playing it at first, but honestly it’s a great game. If it was 1st person or 3rd person it wouldn’t have nearly as much depth.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Rand wrote: April 30th, 2024, 03:35
Yeah, it seemed to be fine for that, but at the time I was in pursuit of games that supported flight sticks and while it looked cool, it is just not the same feeling of play with a mouse and keyboard. I ran into the same problem with Freelancer. I enjoyed the game, its mouse controls were very smooth, but.. well... nothing compares to a flight stick /HOTAs setup unfortunately.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: April 30th, 2024, 13:30
Yeah, it seemed to be fine for that, but at the time I was in pursuit of games that supported flight sticks and while it looked cool, it is just not the same feeling of play with a mouse and keyboard. I ran into the same problem with Freelancer. I enjoyed the game, its mouse controls were very smooth, but.. well... nothing compares to a flight stick /HOTAs setup unfortunately.
I recall the game having a bunch of control options but I don't own a flight stick/HOTAS so I can't tell you. Pirate it and find out?
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 30th, 2024, 13:37
Xenich wrote: April 30th, 2024, 13:30

I recall the game having a bunch of control options but I don't own a flight stick/HOTAS so I can't tell you. Pirate it and find out?
I have it, but my flight setup is boxed up atm and it takes a bit of effort to set it all up and configure it. Was just interested if you had messed with it because you talked about games using flight stick setups in the past.