We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Why is Fallout interpreted as a 'critique of capitalism'?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:12
In fallout new vegas New Californian Republic described as a corrupt state that cares about the welfare of arms companies, livestock farmers and merchant houses more than the state itself. Army is undersupplied and underequipped and can't fully protect the republic territory, especially usual citizens from gangs, especially near border. Constant seizure of territories they cannot control, almost no protection of trade routes mentioned in New Vegas many times.

Criticism of what is all this?
House is the capitalist libertarian in FNV, NCR is the corrupt corporate democracy.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

gerey wrote: April 28th, 2024, 18:03
I hated that element, it turns human tragedy into goofy tinfoil hat bullshittery and it permanently scarred the franchise as a whole, allowing every mouthbreathing author out there to shit out a moronic "experiment" to justify all manner of stupidity.

In Fallout 1 the implication was that the vaults were failing due to human error, mismanagement, wartime shortages et al - it tells a far grimmer tale when Fallout 13 is in trouble because someone in the supply-chain fucked up and replacement chips didn't get delivered, or that Vault 12 failed because the vault door was faulty, or that people were forced to leave Vault 15 because of overcrowding.
The vault experiments were a patch on the fact that a vault could hold at most 500-1000 people and they said there were only 122 of them. 122,000 people at best (not even that) spread across America? That's the population of a small city. Dead civilization walking.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:15
In fallout new vegas New Californian Republic described as a corrupt state that cares about the welfare of arms companies, livestock farmers and merchant houses more than the state itself. Army is undersupplied and underequipped and can't fully protect the republic territory, especially usual citizens from gangs, especially near border. Constant seizure of territories they cannot control, almost no protection of trade routes mentioned in New Vegas many times.

House is the capitalist libertarian in FNV, NCR is the corrupt corporate democracy.
Trying to find the difference between both
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:42

If you can't see the difference then you're being purposely obtuse. FNV is essentially the anti-Bioshock, Sawyer was at his peak libertarian phase when he wrote it.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:42

If you can't see the difference then you're being purposely obtuse.
Both are corrupt corporate of different breeds
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:45

Right, just like the Legion?
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:45
Anon wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:45

Punch the nazis amirite
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

Are you shure? To me his very authoritarian.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Roguey wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:30
That's the population of a small city. Dead civilization walking.
That's more than enough people to rebuild and repopulate though. Also, the assumption always was that not everyone would die, since smaller population centers wouldn't be primary targets.

I always viewed the vaults as a means to retain the knowledge and skills of the best and brightest, so they could exit the vaults once conditions on the surface improved and establish hotspots of civilization, ala Vault City.
Faceless_Sentinel

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:45
Aren't they are just organized barbarians, robbing and enslaving everyone in their path?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:47
He's functionally no different than the ideology espoused in e.g., Hoppean Libertarianism. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Sawyer was at least aware of Hoppe's work
Faceless_Sentinel

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:49
He's functionally no different than the ideology espoused in e.g., Hoppean Libertarianism. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Sawyer was at least aware of Hoppe's work
Oh God, every time i read about New Vegas from you guys, im happy that "in my dream" independence happened.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

gerey wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:47
That's more than enough people to rebuild and repopulate though. Also, the assumption always was that not everyone would die, since smaller population centers wouldn't be primary targets.

I always viewed the vaults as a means to retain the knowledge and skills of the best and brightest, so they could exit the vaults once conditions on the surface improved and establish hotspots of civilization, ala Vault City.
Nuclear winter gets rid of many of the people who didn't get blasted.

Anyway Tim Cain was convinced it wasn't enough and that's why he changed it. :Inspector:
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Sawyer wrote:
The Realpolitik analyses of the NCR and the Legion were outlined quite well by Marcus in New Vegas. But what are your ultimate thoughts on House?
He's a laissez-faire dictator. "Do whatever you want as long as you don't cross me." Mr. House doesn't care about other people and what they do as long as Vegas remains prosperous and he remains in control.
Sawyer wrote:
Perhaps Mr. House is 'dictatorial' to the extent that he won't permit anyone to breach his quasi-governmental monopoly on force, but otherwise I'm not sure what you mean by 'laissez-faire dictator,' which seems like one heck of an oxymoron.
He doesn't place many restrictions on people -- or on businesses -- but he always gets his cut, and when he does make a decree, it's absolute. New Vegas is a place where people have to feel like they can do whatever they want. Mr. House doesn't restrict sexual behavior, drug use, or most other types of personal behavior. The only people who really feel his direct presence are representatives of other governments, those who explicitly cross him, and the heads of the families who have to give him a share of his profits.
The dictator whose only laws are "Pay me my cut" and "Don't do shit that messes with my bottom line."
Faceless_Sentinel

Roguey wrote: April 28th, 2024, 20:04
The dictator whose only laws are "Pay me my cut" and "Don't do shit that messes with my bottom line."
Until his "bottom line" reaches your lovely neighbourhood and you get fucked.
Havitner

Post by Havitner »

I hated that element, it turns human tragedy into goofy tinfoil hat bullshittery and it permanently scarred the franchise as a whole, allowing every mouthbreathing author out there to shit out a moronic "experiment" to justify all manner of stupidity.
I agree, but I still love them.
Last edited by Havitner on April 28th, 2024, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

In Fallout 1 the implication was that the vaults were failing due to human error, mismanagement, wartime shortages et al - it tells a far grimmer tale when Fallout 13 is in trouble because someone in the supply-chain fucked up and replacement chips didn't get delivered, or that Vault 12 failed because the vault door was faulty, or that people were forced to leave Vault 15 because of overcrowding.
I always thought all these things happened because the vaults weren't designed to work for more than a hundred of years, since there was no need for the vaults to last that long. It's just the vault dwellers got too comfy living in safety, and forgot about their main mission of emerging to the outside world and rebuilding the civilization.

I don't know if Fo1's designers did research on how much time must pass before you can start rebuild shit after the nuclear war, but let's assume they only used the common history and popular culture as their reference point. Japs started to rebuild Hiroshima and Nagasaki less than a decade after the bombings, and in "Dr. Strangelove" it was said that the Dead Hand cobalt bombs would render the surface world uninhabitable for mere 93 years.

Vault dwellers forfeiting their mission and deciding to live in vaults forever kinda plays into Fo1's theme of people forgetting the old world, forgetting the lessons learned, and repeating the same old mistakes. Surface dwellers banding together into gangs and quarrelling over bullshit, BoS turning into a reclusive quasi-religious organisation that hoards technology instead of using it for the benefit of mankind, etc etc.
Faceless_Sentinel

I think I get "their" point of view: game criticizes USA => USA is capitalistic state and capitalistic government => if you criticizing capitalistic state and capitalistic government you criticizing capitalism as well.

I kinda agree that business when get rich and influential enough inevitably influence government to make laws beneficial to itself (to business I mean), but saying that game that criticizing corrupt government also criticizing whole system is overwhelming.
Last edited by Faceless_Sentinel on April 29th, 2024, 15:39, edited 2 times in total.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

Given that capitalism is the dominant system that rules the world....

Technically, any critique of the way things are now could be considered a "critique of capitalism".

But that's just autistic reasoning. As usual, libs are just weaponizing "media literacy" (something that is complete bullshit and doesn't exist) to make themselves look/feel smart and their opposition look ignorant.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Libertarianism would be one of, if not THE worst ideologies during a post apocalyptic hell on Earth.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

capitalism is not dominant, fiat monetary religion is. or in another words central banking cartel rule is prevelant.

capitalism is hardly even meaningful concept except self interest i guess. they use it as ruse to say to retards "oh greed caused this and u cant fight greed, so just accept it also jewish bankers did nothing wrong, they gave u loan and u can take another loan to pay previous loan)

all that babble about different systems is kinda moot point at it misses core element; quality of niggers i mean citizens
u got bunch of niggers, non homogenic iq will lead to power concentration. too much concentration and it can get infiltrated or corrupted etc easily
most goy too retarded to even know money has no tangible definition (ergo being "black" magic system as soros wrote), fiat money does not even have abstract one.

house suppose to be benevolent monarch that dont even mentions unsustainable growth tendency that all retarded animals/niggers exhibit when given resources to multiply.
dont even mention way/plan to elevate peasants above negro level either
he does mention putting niggers in space tho

u cant twist whip from duck shit. u need to elevate niggers so they can engage in warfare (or at least be able to withdraw their support etc) or u end up with obscure, concentrated elite wars and u dont even know who is in charge.

as long as u got retards they will be harvested and weaponised by more or less benevolvent jews.
only answer/solution is we all must become jews.
or maybe not, its no fun being jew without slaves
Last edited by Red7 on May 1st, 2024, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.