Tainted Grail: Fall of Avalon

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

"Meaningful choices...branching storyline...."

I'm already nervous.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I recall them posting a gameplay video not too long ago and many basic features were missing. Interesting to see how this will be by March 30, if it will get delayed, or if it's just an early access.

[edit]
Yes, it's just early access. They should have clarified in the announcement.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 7963925806
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

The roguelike cardbuilder is fun. But im not sure I have any faith in this.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Wasn't Conquest supposed to be a stepping stone towards this game? This looks like a brand new project. Will check it out once it releases for sure since Conquest is a very good game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

QA testing has gone from paid labor to convincing gamers they're the lucky chosen ones. I wonder why games are so much more buggier...
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 8505158193
Hello adventurers,

We have exciting news for you today. We decided to run an exclusive early access test and you may be one of the players who get the opportunity to check the game out before everyone else!

As Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon nears its early access launch, we’d love to show some of the players what the game offers. This is not only a chance for you to be the first to set foot on the island of Avalon, but also a prime chance for us to gather valuable feedback.
We would be really extremely grateful for your help!

Please note that this version, while offering a significant amount of content, will be far from its final polish. For example:

The voice-over will not be present for the majority of NPCs.
The balance will be inconsistent.
The visuals will lack some polish.
There will be bugs, some possibly game breaking, scattered throughout the game.
Some quests may be broken or missing.
Some systems may not function correctly, such as crafting.

Okay, now that all the negatives are out of the way, check out some of the exciting things we are preparing! Take a look at the world of Avalon!
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Did we really need a dark, subversive take on Arthurian lore?. No. If anything an accurate adaptation with a high fantasy flair would've been more appealing.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 13th, 2023, 03:25
Did we really need a dark, subversive take on Arthurian lore?. No. If anything an accurate adaptation with a high fantasy flair would've been more appealing.
The roguelike they made actually had extremely little to do with Arthurian legend at all.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

The only romance in Conquest is between a manly looking blacksmith and a very feminine scientist. Neither character was a troon or a fag or some other form of degenerate. Truly subversive stuff for 2021 standards.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

*complains about loading screens*
*notes areas behind loading screens have much better performance*
hurrr
durrr

people who hate loading screens are retarded
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

I think that if you can manage good performance without loading screen you should definitely go for it. But if you cant dont bother.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Not another card roguelike like the first one? Good. I might be interested.... In a few years after early access is through.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

The age of Skyrimlikes are upon us.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

It looks a LOT like skyrim. The animations especially. I just hope it turns out to be "Skyrim but better" not "Skyrim but worse".
KnightoftheWind

Tweed wrote: March 31st, 2023, 05:40
I'd take that any day over another Metroidvania and roguelike indie game. The issue here is, a game like Skyrim is incredibly complex to make. There are a lot of moving parts and considerations to make, that's why Bethesda titles are basically in a genre of their own.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

KnightoftheWind wrote: April 8th, 2023, 19:41
Tweed wrote: March 31st, 2023, 05:40
I'd take that any day over another Metroidvania and roguelike indie game. The issue here is, a game like Skyrim is incredibly complex to make. There are a lot of moving parts and considerations to make, that's why Bethesda titles are basically in a genre of their own.
iggy'd
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The combat near the opening looked pretty good. Like when he backed off they began throwing stuff at him, then another reaches for a healing potion.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on October 22nd, 2023, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

I HATE SKYRIM I HATE SKYRIM I HATE SKYRIM I HATE SKYRIM I HATE SKYRIM

-I HATE SKYRIM
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Emphyrio wrote: April 8th, 2023, 19:21
It looks a LOT like skyrim. The animations especially. I just hope it turns out to be "Skyrim but better" not "Skyrim but worse".
You know which it is.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

This game is...okay. It's still very early in development and the combat is janky as all hell. The setting is very interesting, but for now all the long ass loading screens, overall bad performance and dogshit combat makes the experience rather unpleasant. Exploration seems to have a lot of potential. I say this game made into my "keep an eye out" list, but that's about it.

On the flip side, I encountered a grand total of ZERO niggers in about an hour of gameplay.
Last edited by Eyestabber on October 27th, 2023, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

iC3R0 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 19:34
$40 ill wait till go on sale.
Just pirate it, if you like it buy it because they seem like a decent indie dev.
KnightoftheWind

Finally decided to give this one a try, and I gotta say I like it so far. I like that it's trying to compete with Skyrim and attempts to fill that niche for people who may be disillusioned with Bethesda's current direction and where the sixth game is almost certainly headed (KANGguards). However, where I feel it falls flat is in it's world design and tone. It really is trying to be just another Dark Souls with yet another grimdark, edgy world. Why is it so rare to see a genuine piece of high fantasy with an actual color palette?, why does everything have to be a glob of grey and brown?. Set in some nihilistic realm where everything is going to hell?.

I think this game would be better off it was turned into "Normal Grail: The Rise of Avalon". Give me everything, give me Tolkien elves, dwarves, red fire-breathing dragons and evil necromancers to have righteous anger towards. Have a legendary character like King Arthur actually 'be' King Arthur. Let him stand tall with gold-plated armor, a full beard, and fight for truth, justice and honor in a massive castle full of loyal knights. Have a quest-line where you strive to rise through the ranks of his court, and join him at the round table. No more of this "ho-hum, oy-vey, woe-is-me" stuff.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

New update

Instead of woke ESG "sweet baby" AAA games, people should check this. Quite great.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 11th, 2024, 00:25
Finally decided to give this one a try, and I gotta say I like it so far. I like that it's trying to compete with Skyrim and attempts to fill that niche for people who may be disillusioned with Bethesda's current direction and where the sixth game is almost certainly headed (KANGguards). However, where I feel it falls flat is in it's world design and tone. It really is trying to be just another Dark Souls with yet another grimdark, edgy world. Why is it so rare to see a genuine piece of high fantasy with an actual color palette?, why does everything have to be a glob of grey and brown?. Set in some nihilistic realm where everything is going to hell?.

I think this game would be better off it was turned into "Normal Grail: The Rise of Avalon". Give me everything, give me Tolkien elves, dwarves, red fire-breathing dragons and evil necromancers to have righteous anger towards. Have a legendary character like King Arthur actually 'be' King Arthur. Let him stand tall with gold-plated armor, a full beard, and fight for truth, justice and honor in a massive castle full of loyal knights. Have a quest-line where you strive to rise through the ranks of his court, and join him at the round table. No more of this "ho-hum, oy-vey, woe-is-me" stuff.
The generic ugly setting and awful boring minimalist UI really hurt this game a lot for me. Whenever I see gameplay of it my eyes glaze over with just how uninspired it all looks. It's like it's copying all of the worst parts of Skyrim's world ignoring that it's so popular because it exists in a universe that's infinitely more interesting.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

I don't think that the setting is generic. Is a dark twisted Camelot legends. About it being a copy of Skyrim, the world, questing and etc fells more like morrowind imo.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

It reminds me of Morrowind, only with a long way to go of course. They need to release mod tools or source code at some point.