We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Geneforge 2 - Infestation -> releasedS

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
WaterMage

Geneforge 2 - Infestation -> releasedS

Post by WaterMage »

The difference in graphics :

ImageImage

When We Remaster, We Really Remaster

We spend 18 months on each remaster, and we redo everything. Every location, encounter, and line of dialogue gets revised and polished. This takes a while.

There is also a ton of new material. Several new zones. Lots of new characters and quest lines. We added a whole new ability tree, Weapon Shaping abilities that augment your blade and missile attacks, that is entirely new to the series. Thus, if you were a Geneforge 2 fan, there's a whole new way to play through it.

We put in a lot of new content based on the feedback of Kickstarter backers. You will find that a lot of the emptier cracks in the game have been filled with lore and tangential stuff to do. This makes the world seem a lot more fleshed out. A lot more real. Again, I’m really happy with the result.

We put a ton of work into this game, atoning for the flaws of 20 years ago.

The Old Economics Of Our Business

We've been in business for 30 years now. We predated the indie game boom by a long time. Heck, we even predate the consumer internet and world wide web.

In the old days, to make the economics of the business work, we had to write games fast. Each all-new, full-length title got 18 months. This meant that sometimes corners were cut. Geneforge 2 was a beloved game, but it was full of threadbare dialogue and cut corners. The structure is there, but the bones were too bare.

(Other games suffered more. Before long, we will remaster Avernum 4, and that one will need and get a LOT of work.)

We have now spent 3 years total on Geneforge 2. We've come to find that this is about the right amount of time for us to put in one of our RPGs to get them about as good as we can get them (tiny company that we are).

This is the final Geneforge 2. I won’t live long enough to get around to remastering it again. And, as always, I have regrets. As I went to sleep last night, I thought about things I could have done. Motivations and dialogue I could have refined. This or that little tweak. But there comes a point where you have to say, “Enough.” I must force myself to be content.
The dev also posted how chatgpt imagines Geneforge 2

I really wish that he had money to make a game in such graphics.

Played G1/G2 and G3 still din't finished G4/5 and can say that I loved G2 story and factions the most. I will gonna buy this game soon. We really need more franchises like Geneforge and less generic franchises.

Tags:
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

WaterMage wrote: March 28th, 2024, 20:15
The difference in graphics :

ImageImage
I love the Geneforge Reader Rabbit 3rd Grade Math Carnival UI
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

I prefer the look and style of the originals.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

The sprites are way too small at this point, he should have scaled them up 2x or something.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 28th, 2024, 20:40
The sprites are way too small at this point, he should have scaled them up 2x or something.
You can set the resolution in-game. If you pick a lower to moderate resolution they look a normal size.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

This is the final Geneforge 2. I won’t live long enough to get around to remastering it again. And, as always, I have regrets. As I went to sleep last night, I thought about things I could have done. Motivations and dialogue I could have refined. This or that little tweak. But there comes a point where you have to say, “Enough.” I must force myself to be content.
Reading this makes my heart hurt.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Before long, we will remaster Avernum 4, and that one will need and get a LOT of work.
Damn right. It was linear and brain-dead.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I wanna play this and Mutagen, but it'll make me want to play the whole series again, but 3-5 are rough.