We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Mass Effect series.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 27th, 2024, 20:45
Andromeda is… fine. It's not anywhere near as terrible as everyone made it out to be. It's just fine. Played much worse games that were received much better e.g., Outerworlds. Andromeda has good combat.
It's the first instance I can think of where jewtubers piled onto a 6.5/10 game and pretended it's the worst thing ever to get clicks. Became very popular after that.
I believe this pajeet was intimately involved with the development of Andromeda. And coincidentally, the game didn't have a lot of lighter skin options when creating a character.

Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Bioware really was ground zero for a lot of the shit you see commonly now.
Ligrev

Post by Ligrev »

Xenich wrote: March 27th, 2024, 20:40

I completely avoided that game because of the massive gay influence. MA 1 and 2 were not bad, 3 felt like a console clone, but that one from the start looked bad. In fact, when I first heard about it, I thought it was some mod for fags to get off on.

Same was with DA though. 1 was good, 2 was too console for me, and Inquisition just seemed like a gay/bestiality game.

They have been pulling BG3 antics for a long time.
I honestly believe that Dragon Age Inquisition is a much better game than Baldur's Gate 3. Yes, there are fag and dyke companions, but they will not try to rape/buttfuck you against your will, the dyke is obnoxious but the fag is much more tolerable than Astarion. Elves as "an oppressed" minority are much more interesting than the tieflings in BG3. Also the main story is leaps and bounds better than bg3's.
► Show Spoiler
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Ligrev wrote: March 27th, 2024, 21:06
Xenich wrote: March 27th, 2024, 20:40

I completely avoided that game because of the massive gay influence. MA 1 and 2 were not bad, 3 felt like a console clone, but that one from the start looked bad. In fact, when I first heard about it, I thought it was some mod for fags to get off on.

Same was with DA though. 1 was good, 2 was too console for me, and Inquisition just seemed like a gay/bestiality game.

They have been pulling BG3 antics for a long time.
I honestly believe that Dragon Age Inquisition is a much better game than Baldur's Gate 3. Yes, there are fag and dyke companions, but they will not try to rape/buttfuck you against your will, the dyke is obnoxious but the fag is much more tolerable than Astarion. Elves as "an oppressed" minority are much more interesting than the tieflings in BG3. Also the main story is leaps and bounds better than bg3's.
► Show Spoiler
► COGNITO HAZARD
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

ME5 is going to be actual slop. Just so you know.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

TKVNC wrote: March 27th, 2024, 21:54
That implies it's ever going to exist and EA won't have goons walk up and down the Bioware office with shotguns after DA4 is their like 6th flop in a row.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Vergil wrote: March 27th, 2024, 22:24
TKVNC wrote: March 27th, 2024, 21:54
That implies it's ever going to exist and EA won't have goons walk up and down the Bioware office with shotguns after DA4 is their like 6th flop in a row.
Now why would they do that, when they could just reshuffle these "Devs" back into other games studios and create even more garbage?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I will be surprised if bioware still exists after dragon age deadname flops
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 27th, 2024, 22:32
I will be surprised if bioware still exists after dragon age deadname flops
Yeah. I was surprised they announced ME4... tbh, they should've done ME4 and saved Dragon Age for when/if ME4 is successful. Seems to me Mass Effect is a bigger IP, right? Or am I wrong?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I think Mass Effect kind of has a bigger and more recent stink on it due to Andromeda and bioware's last big flop was sci fi. ME4 is also probably harder to figure out how they're going to do since they seem to be fully walking back doing anything new with the series and nostalgia baiting with Shepherd/trilogy companions. There is literally no reason for another Shepherd game.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Although 2 was..alright, I was kinda sad how they changed it up.

I always say ME1 was an RPG that just happened to have shooting as it's combat.
ME2 was a shooter that tried to pretend it was still an RPG.

Not even got around to playing 3 yet, not sure if I could bring myself to do it..

ME1 had a lot of re-used assets (same cave 3,000 times) and voice lines ("I will destroy you!") etc. but beyond that I really enjoyed it. It really felt like they tried hard to immerse you into the world, even providing a codex reason for not using traditional "ammo" etc. Shame I had to mod it to unlock all weapons though. No reason I wouldn't still be able to SHOOT with a weapon (but be a little shit with it and miss out on bonuses). Bit silly carrying them all with me and not being able to use them. Really enjoyed exploring my ship and the citadel.

ME2 then dropped the no ammo thing and turned into a cover shooter Gears of War crap. Shame. Some cool moments though like the intro cutscene and suicide mission especially.

I REALLY wish they'd stop wanting to "appeal to a broader audience". It just dilutes the damn game and what makes it different and cool.
Last edited by BobT on March 27th, 2024, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

BobT wrote: March 27th, 2024, 23:58
ME1 had a lot of re-used assets (same cave 3,000 times) and voice lines ("I will destroy you!")
GO GO GO
ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

ME2 was a shooter that tried to pretend it was still an RPG.
ME2 then dropped the no ammo thing and turned into a cover shooter Gears of War crap. Shame. Some cool moments though like the intro cutscene and suicide mission especially.
Don't play ME3. If ME2 was borderline unbearable for you ME3 has absolutely nothing to offer.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

The year is 2050.

"Mass Effect 7 was the last good Bioware game"
"Dragon Age Escape From The Closet wan't all that bad to be honest"
"Anthem 3 wasn't entirely awful, I kinda liked flying mechanics"
"I'm surprised that Bioware still exists, they had like 22 flops in a row"
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

wndrbr wrote: March 28th, 2024, 01:10
The year is 2050.

"Mass Effect 7 was the last good Bioware game"
"Dragon Age Escape From The Closet wan't all that bad to be honest"
"Anthem 3 wasn't entirely awful, I kinda liked flying mechanics"
"I'm surprised that Bioware still exists, they had like 22 flops in a row"
Every other EA studio gets bulldozed after a minor stumble, whoever is in charge of bioware now must have epstein-tier dirt on EA execs.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

I have read before that the main reason EA keeps BioWare around is because they believe it grants them 'prestige', as in "well EA keeps artsy studios around like BioWare who make unique narratively-driven games instead of just pumping out yearly releases".

Basically a business decision made because of the optics, they believe they gain more in goodwill by owning the BioWare name than what they lose funding their games.
Last edited by aweigh on March 28th, 2024, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

a pedophile wrote: March 28th, 2024, 01:32
I have read before that the main reason EA keeps BioWare around is because they believe it grants them 'prestige', as in "well EA keeps artsy studios around like BioWare who make unique narratively-driven games instead of just pumping out yearly releases".

Basically a business decision made because of the optics, they believe they gain more in goodwill by owning the BioWare name than what they lose funding their games.
Essentially this. The issue that Bioware has though is that they have pretty much entirely burned through all of that goodwill with the constant fuck ups and it's getting to a point where it's no longer going to save them now that they're publicly cold product. They've gone from a darling prestige studio to an embarrassment.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

I actually liked the triology (and avoided Andromeda like a HIV-infested plague rat) - the first game was a great gateway into the universe, the second provided background for the third and the third was pretty darn awesome. To be noted, I bought the game way after the ending debacle so I never saw the original ending which is what made people so pissed (wise after years of buying games blind - never be the first out of the landing craft). That is not to say the triology didn't have problems, like way too sparely populated (where are to just mention that, all the council members, because three people do NOT handle the affairs of entire species), way too little interaction with the team members and worse of all, way too polished and cut - for example, in ME2 when you look for a rogue merc company tasked by the local police, the fucking company is on top of the police station... That did not help my impression.

But yeah, a really great triology. The other triology - Dragon Age - started stronger but had a very deep dip in quality with the second game with its 'awesome button' (remember when they marketed that?) and endless hordes of enemies dropping from the sky.I know that was probably just Varric exaggerating during the interrogation, but I had to play through it... Terrible. Although I must say I liked the story - not everything needs to be about saving the universe, because man is that trope stale. The third game had its points, but that was marred by the blatant wokeism inserted, like that tranny. Dorian was however a good gay, since that actually gave him both another layer of personality as well as a back quest (no pun intended).
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

i very recently played thru the ME trilogy remaster and enjoyed them all a lot. Probably enjoyed ME3 the most simply because it had the most fun gameplay for me, just enable "reflexes" for slow-mo bullet time and shoot everything. The Citadel DLC with the party with all your companions was also quite fun, especially after playing through the previous games.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Speaking of the triology remaster I really despised the way they changed assets around and back ported certain things to try and make the games seem more cohesive. Instead it just causes certain things to look really out of place and fuck up the art style even more than the bugged facial animations and lighting in ME1 already did.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

I enjoyed the entire trilogy but this video put into words what felt off about ME2’s story to me:
Last edited by loregamer on March 28th, 2024, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

I'm pissed at the direction they took with the graphics and supposed consistency for LE. It's there for some characters, but not others, or the direction taken was the wrong one. But that's what mods are for...

The first Mass Effect will always be my favorite of the series. This LE patch mod helps it reach its full potential (there is one for the original, as well).
► Show Spoiler
Mass Effect 2 is my least favorite of the series, but I still enjoy certain things about it a great deal.
► Show Spoiler
Mass Effect 3 is complicated.
► Show Spoiler
Andromeda is better than people give it credit for, but definitely rough around the edges. It's apparent it was made by a smaller team.
► Show Spoiler
I don't know what the point of writing this was. Maybe it will convince new players to give these games a shot, or at least see how modding improves them.
Last edited by Envergence on March 28th, 2024, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Envergence wrote: March 28th, 2024, 07:30
I'm pissed at the direction they took with the graphics and supposed consistency for LE. It's there for some characters, but not others, or the direction taken was the wrong one. But that's what mods are for...

The first Mass Effect will always be my favorite of the series. This LE patch mod helps it reach its full potential (there is one for the original, as well).
► Show Spoiler
Mass Effect 2 is my least favorite of the series, but I still enjoy certain things about it a great deal.
► Show Spoiler
Mass Effect 3 is complicated.
► Show Spoiler
Andromeda is better than people give it credit for, but definitely rough around the edges. It's apparent it was made by a smaller team.
► Show Spoiler
I don't know what the point of writing this was. Maybe it will convince new players to give these games a shot, or at least see how modding improves them.
Good summary of the games - there are points I don't agree with, but that's not you being wrong - taste is subjective.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

loregamer wrote: March 28th, 2024, 06:41
I enjoyed the entire trilogy but this video put into words what felt off about ME2’s story to me:
I'm not going to watch a 23 minute video about it but I too felt that the story of ME2 was really bad. I still enjoyed the game but storywise it felt like a weird spinoff with all these new elements that didn't make sense. I didn't finish 3 but to me it felt like a return to form. Unfortunately I put the game down about nine years ago and haven't played any of them since, so I'll probably just start over from the first game eventually.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

WhiteShark wrote: March 28th, 2024, 08:05
I too felt that the story of ME2 was really bad. I still enjoyed the game but storywise it felt like a weird spinoff with all these new elements that didn't make sense.
it's like they suddenly went from trying to emulate Star Trek to trying to emulate Star Wars.

And then ME3 is them trying to go back to Star Trek, except this time it's JaJa Abrams' Star Trek.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Oldtimer wrote: March 28th, 2024, 05:19
To be noted, I bought the game way after the ending debacle so I never saw the original ending which is what made people so pissed (wise after years of buying games blind - never be the first out of the landing craft).
All I remember changing is the addition of a shitty joke ending.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Mass Effect 3 might be one of the first instances of an extremely minor update put out to try and psyop people into thinking they "fixed it" and the game is good now.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Vergil wrote: March 28th, 2024, 13:28
Mass Effect 3 might be one of the first instances of an extremely minor update put out to try and psyop people into thinking they "fixed it" and the game is good now.
Not good; better. And ME3 IS good with the improved ending.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oldtimer wrote: March 28th, 2024, 15:07
Vergil wrote: March 28th, 2024, 13:28
Not good; better. And ME3 IS good with the improved ending.
The ending is maybe 1% of the issues ME3 has. I didnt even finish it originally back in the day before the problems made me drop it entirely.