We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Mass Effect series.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
BENEFACTOR

Mass Effect series.

Post by BENEFACTOR »

One of my favorite game trilogies ever until before Andromeda(which was still solid but worse then the previous 3). Which was your favorite? Favorite characters?
Personally I loved ME2, followed by ME1, ME3 and Andromeda.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Hot take, everybody! Op doesn't like Andromeda.
BENEFACTOR

Post by BENEFACTOR »

maidenhaver wrote: October 14th, 2023, 14:10
Hot take, everybody! Op doesn't like Andromeda.
Which was your favorite or least favorite? Or could you not afford a PC good enough to run them... :mrgreen:
Davaris

Post by Davaris »

Everyone who worked on Mass Effect will be going straight to hell.

It was the start of mainstream open degeneracy in Western games.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I only played the first one. Some things seemed incomplete. I kept getting the bug where guns would stay overheated forever.
Element

Post by Element »

ME1 was alright, I though I only completed after trying it 3 times, quitting on the first two because I couldn't get over how silly the council investigation was. The 2nd one was .. alright as well, I guess. Overkill in a lot of parts. Felt like they could have cut a few of the characters from the final product without losing all that much. Overlord was good. ME3 I uninstalled after one hour. Hollywood bullshit.
Grey Wolf of Turan

Post by Grey Wolf of Turan »

Personally I think that mass effect series as a whole is a bit overrated. I never liked the story or the characters. KOTOR is the superior bioware game. Dragon age isn't half bad but kind of boring to me.
BENEFACTOR

Post by BENEFACTOR »

Element wrote: October 14th, 2023, 15:05
ME1 was alright, I though I only completed after trying it 3 times, quitting on the first two because I couldn't get over how silly the council investigation was. The 2nd one was .. alright as well, I guess. Overkill in a lot of parts. Felt like they could have cut a few of the characters from the final product without losing all that much. Overlord was good. ME3 I uninstalled after one hour. Hollywood bullshit.
Think calling ME3 hollywood is a bit harsh but I do agree, it's clearly the weakest from the original trilogy.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

1>3>andromeda>2

3 gets judged for a bad ending despite the rest of the game being pretty good, also has great dlc
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on October 14th, 2023, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I played the first one a few years ago. I dropped right after I got back from the Krogan virus mission and my character had sex with Ashley for some reason (???). I think the only thing left was the final battle at the Citadel but I didn't care enough to finish.

Much of the gameplay was going around talking to NPCs, but I didn't find the setting to be very appealing. You're either on an ugly grey space station, on ugly grey spaceships, or in ugly grey cities, talking to unlikeable NPCs. The Citadel and the Council don't feel like alien societies and organizations. They feel like the modern US but in space. The Citadel has human style bars and clubs... that have been operated by aliens for decades long before humanity was admitted. The cities on the Citadel are organized like human cities. The council uses modern 21st century American logic that worships laws and constitutions and is skeptical of esoterism. Nothing about the Citadel or the Council feels like it an alliance of non-human races at all.

The Turians and the Krogan and the Volus have interesting faces to look at (Saren looked really good!), but ME's aliens for the most part suffer from rubberhead alien syndrome, where everyone has the same posture and proportions as a human. The floating evangelical alien at the citadel, and that ambassador who stood on four legs were visually quite unique, but sadly there were no party members that are unique like that. I really liked how the Sovani in the The Last Remnant had 4 arms (and could quad wield 1 handed weapons, or dual wield 2 handers), or how the Charr in GW2 were hunched over and even ran on all fours. Really made those races stand out in my mind.

The combat was not very enjoyable.

The writing was mediocre. There were several huge leaps in logic (for example, the Council dismisses Shepperd's accusations against their favorite agent Saren, and then when Shepperd plays an voice file that could easily be faked, the Council just ejects Saren just like that?), antagonists to the player act cartoonishly, dialogue is stilted at times, the story can't decide if being a Spectre means being revered like a Jedi Knight or being super secret and treated with suspicion like Section 31, etc). The game has above average presentation with the camera, music swelling during climatic moments, etc.

The side content was mediocre. MMO style quests, like go scan Keepers on the Citadel, or time wasters like spending 10 minutes on a planet driving around looking for a probe with virtually no story, etc.

I wasn't invested in any of the characters. The only party members I kinda liked were Garrus and Wrex. The rest of the cast was forgettable. I didn't really know why Ashley, Tali, and Liara are tagging along. They don't really have a personal stake in our quest and aren't really my friends.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on October 14th, 2023, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I hate aliens so much its unreal.
Element

Post by Element »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: October 14th, 2023, 17:56
but ME's aliens for the most part suffer from rubberhead alien syndrome, where everyone has the same posture and proportions as a human.
I presume there is convergent evolution towards humanoid form across the galaxy. The homo sapien analogue to carcinization.
BENEFACTOR

Post by BENEFACTOR »

maidenhaver wrote: October 14th, 2023, 17:59
Do you just not like sci fi?
Element

Post by Element »

BENEFACTOR wrote: October 15th, 2023, 10:25
There's plenty of scifi where you're just exterminating the aliens
BENEFACTOR

Post by BENEFACTOR »

Element wrote: October 15th, 2023, 20:34
BENEFACTOR wrote: October 15th, 2023, 10:25
There's plenty of scifi where you're just exterminating the aliens

That's what the Krogan in mass effect did :)
FPYockey

Post by FPYockey »

Mass effect might have the gay dialogue wheel but I think its a good franchise with cool world building. Mass effect 2 is the worst by far though its story has nothing to do with the other games.
TheEmptyRoad

Post by TheEmptyRoad »

Mass Effect, along with Dragon Age, KOTOR II, and eventually KOTOR I, were my gateway drugs into the RPG space.

Mass Effect in particular was a whole lot of fun. Though 2 veered way the fuck off into a glorified sidequest about an alien race we’d never heard of in 1.

I’ll even say I actually enjoyed Andromeda and wish it hadn’t been dropped by the studio as soon as it was clear it wasn’t a smash hit IMMEDIATELY. Especially with DLC and sequel bait right there at the end. It was the beginning of an intriguing story and it infuriates me that they didn’t have the spine to see their vision through.

At least CDPR stuck out the bad launch of CP2077, fixed and overhauled a bunch of stuff, and eventually got an expansion that fleshed out the other major MegaCorporation in the setting.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Means little if everyone beneath them are dysgenic mongrels. Not to mention that a lot of big names from the "good old days" turn out to be rabid liberals who are more than happy to bat for globohomo. Mass Effect as a franchise was already privvy to woke themes, so it's not as if this means much in the long run. Best case scenario, you're getting late 2000s liberalism vs 2020s liberalism.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 26th, 2024, 05:52
Means little if everyone beneath them are dysgenic mongrels. Not to mention that a lot of big names from the "good old days" turn out to be rabid liberals who are more than happy to bat for globohomo. Mass Effect as a franchise was already privvy to woke themes, so it's not as if this means much in the long run. Best case scenario, you're getting late 2000s liberalism vs 2020s liberalism.
at this point best case scenario is something like Andromeda.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Doesn't matter what they worked on prior, they've all got brain parasites now.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

TheEmptyRoad wrote: March 26th, 2024, 05:39
Mass Effect, along with Dragon Age, KOTOR II, and eventually KOTOR I, were my gateway drugs into the RPG space.

Mass Effect in particular was a whole lot of fun. Though 2 veered way the fuck off into a glorified sidequest about an alien race we’d never heard of in 1.

I’ll even say I actually enjoyed Andromeda and wish it hadn’t been dropped by the studio as soon as it was clear it wasn’t a smash hit IMMEDIATELY. Especially with DLC and sequel bait right there at the end. It was the beginning of an intriguing story and it infuriates me that they didn’t have the spine to see their vision through.

At least CDPR stuck out the bad launch of CP2077, fixed and overhauled a bunch of stuff, and eventually got an expansion that fleshed out the other major MegaCorporation in the setting.
Andromeda was shit, the game dropped its final patch that does enabling a straight family guy romancable for fags because of pride degeneracy month then abandoned.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Wow thank God the people who fucked up and ruined the original trilogy are back on board!
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

If this was going to be good it would not be taking 7 years to make.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

gastovski wrote: March 26th, 2024, 08:11
TheEmptyRoad wrote: March 26th, 2024, 05:39

Andromeda was shit, the game dropped its final patch that does enabling a straight family guy romancable for fags because of pride degeneracy month then abandoned.
I completely avoided that game because of the massive gay influence. MA 1 and 2 were not bad, 3 felt like a console clone, but that one from the start looked bad. In fact, when I first heard about it, I thought it was some mod for fags to get off on.

Same was with DA though. 1 was good, 2 was too console for me, and Inquisition just seemed like a gay/bestiality game.

They have been pulling BG3 antics for a long time.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Andromeda is… fine. It's not anywhere near as terrible as everyone made it out to be. It's just fine. Played much worse games that were received much better e.g., Outerworlds. Andromeda has good combat.
It's the first instance I can think of where jewtubers piled onto a 6.5/10 game and pretended it's the worst thing ever to get clicks. Became very popular after that.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 27th, 2024, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 27th, 2024, 20:45
Andromeda is… fine. It's not anywhere near as terrible as everyone made it out to be. It's just fine. Played much worse games that were received much better e.g., Outerworlds. Andromeda has good combat.
It's the first instance I can think of where jewtubers piled onto a 6.5/10 game and pretended it's the worst thing ever to get clicks. Became very popular after that.
Rate the gay encounters between 1/2 and Andromeda? Is it on par, or heavier influenced? Like I said, I just saw some people pulling out some gay scenes and it was big in the tranny/gay attention, so I avoided it. Is it ok? Can you mod out the gay?
Last edited by Xenich on March 27th, 2024, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: March 27th, 2024, 20:50
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 27th, 2024, 20:45
Rate the gay encounters between 1/2 and Andromeda? Is it on par, or heavier influenced? Like I said, I just saw some people pulling out some gay scenes and it was big in the tranny/gay attention, so I avoided it. Is it ok? Can you mod out the gay?
I don't really remember any gay stuff, just instances of ugly females and bad animations. I recall it being far less libtarded than inquisition, which was way ahead of its time.