We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

HQ GOTQ (Game of the Quarter) 2024Q1

For discussions related to our Steam Curator
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

HQ GOTQ (Game of the Quarter) 2024Q1

Post by J1M »

Rather than wait until the end of the year to debate the best games, the idea here is to discuss on a quarterly basis. If it proves popular, we could go backwards in time as well.

Ground rules:
  • No poll before discussion to avoid bias against lesser-known gems.
  • A quarter is 3 months of the year. Q1 = January - March.
  • A game may be nominated the quarter it enters Early Access AND the quarter it is officially released BUT it can only win once.
    ► Show Spoiler
  • When the consensus is not clear to pick a winner, a TBD method will be used. (Please advocate for your preferred method.)
  • Nominations can be for any genre or platform. All elements, including platform, monetization, bugs, and server stability are part of consideration.
TLDR: What was the best game released in 2024Q1?
Last edited by J1M on April 29th, 2024, 01:22, edited 3 times in total.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Suicide squad ;)
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I liked Outcast - A New Beginning, which released Mar 15, 2024.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Helldivers 2, because it's the game I've been playing in my head since I was a little kid fighting off hordes of enemies with guns made out of branches, hockey sticks, and vacuum hose attachments.
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 28th, 2024, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

i remember when this was an interesting hobby
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

@Oyster Sauce I think I found a game that came out this quarter you liked
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 28th, 2024, 16:47
@Oyster Sauce I think I found a game that came out this quarter you liked
Already edited my post, sucka
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Ask me again in 2026.
Kowe

Post by Kowe »

Does a Hi-Fi Rush release for PS5 in this quarter count, even though I have it on Steam ? :lol:
It has some woke elements but it its countered by the use of technology where they are partially machine. What makes the game stand out is its game-play. Just fun to dash around, dodge and hit things, all on beat.
Just unfortunate that it is only available on Steam and PS5. But fingers crossed they will offer it on GoG at some point. Gotta look if it is already being modded.

If that game doesn't count, it has to be either of these three:
  • Manor Lords
  • Godsworn
  • Tomb Raider I-III Remastered
Haven't come around to either play them or play them extensively. Manor Lords also got released just two days ago.
Last edited by Kowe on April 28th, 2024, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Here's a list of "notable" releases:

FFVII : Rebirth - has niggers
Dragon's Dogma 2 - has niggers
Helldivers 2 - it's fun
Palword
Tekken 8
LAD : Infinite Wealth - pozzed
Persona 3 : Reload - censored
Balatro
Unicorn Overload - butchered translations
Prince of Persia : The Lost Crown - has niggers
Rise of the Ronin - is entombed with the PS5
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Kowe wrote: April 28th, 2024, 22:00
Does a Hi-Fi Rush release for PS5 in this quarter count, even though I have it on Steam ? :lol:
It has some woke elements but it its countered by the use of technology where they are partially machine. What makes the game stand out is its game-play. Just fun to dash around, dodge and hit things, all on beat.
Just unfortunate that it is only available on Steam and PS5. But fingers crossed they will offer it on GoG at some point. Gotta look if it is already being modded.

If that game doesn't count, it has to be either of these three:
  • Manor Lords
  • Godsworn
  • Tomb Raider I-III Remastered
Haven't come around to either play them or play them extensively. Manor Lords also got released just two days ago.
No. You get an extra date for early access, but not for ports. If we allowed that, Skyrim would be up for consideration every quarter.

PS: remasters are ports

Also, two days ago was April, so Manor Lords is ineligible in this thread but you can nominate it for Q2.
Last edited by J1M on April 28th, 2024, 22:58, edited 3 times in total.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Granblue Fantasy Relink was my favorite 2024 Q1 release. I had been looking forward to it for years and it did not disappoint. Tight story, fun setpieces and boss fights, 20 different characters with different playstyles to pick from, fantastic soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu and Tsutomu Narita, excellent visuals, and the gameplay has longevity with the journey to defeating the postgame superboss. Really hope a sequel is made soon and it doesn't take 8 years to release this time.

If I had to nitpick, it's that the new Zegragande Skydom in which Relink is set in feels like a rehash of Phantagarde, the first skydom from the gacha game and the most overexposed one. I was excited to explore GBF's fourth skydom, but I feel like I've seen all of this stuff before, not just in the gacha but in the fighting game and in the anime. It would have been nice if it had been something more exotic and unique, like Nalhegrande with its unique fusion of palacious medieval European castles and East Asian architecture.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

J1M wrote: April 28th, 2024, 15:52
Because someone asked:
a) A port doesn't grant another nomination opportunity.
b) Remasters are ports.
What about fan translation patches? For example, Trails games are not officially released in the West until three years after their native Japanese release (Sen no Kiseki 3/Trails of Cold Steel 3's Japanese release was 2017, Western was 2020. Sen 4/Cold Steel 4 was 2018/2021. Hajimari no Kiseki/Trails into Reverie was 2020/2023. Kuro no Kiseki/Trails into Daybreak was 2021/2024). Fans like the Zerofield group or 4chan perform their own fan translations so people can play the games a few months after the game's release in Japan, rather than waiting years for an official English localization. Kai no Kiseki will release in September of this year but no one is going to be able to play an English fan translation patch of it until January 2025 at the very earliest. So do we wait three years until the game's official localization releases to nominate it? Or can we nominate it in the quarter when a PC port and fan translation patch becomes available?
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on April 29th, 2024, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: April 29th, 2024, 00:52
J1M wrote: April 28th, 2024, 15:52
Because someone asked:
a) A port doesn't grant another nomination opportunity.
b) Remasters are ports.
What about fan translation patches? For example, Trails games are not officially released in the West until three years after their native Japanese release (Sen no Kiseki 3/Trails of Cold Steel 3's Japanese release was 2017, Western was 2020. Sen 4/Cold Steel 4 was 2018/2021. Hajimari no Kiseki/Trails into Reverie was 2020/2023. Kuro no Kiseki/Trails into Daybreak was 2021/2024). Fans like the Zerofield group or 4chan perform their own fan translations so people can play the games a few months after the game's release in Japan, rather than waiting years for an official English localization. Kai no Kiseki will release in September of this year but no one is going to be able to play an English fan translation patch of it until January 2025 at the very earliest. So do we wait three years until the game's official localization releases to nominate it? Or can we nominate it in the quarter when a PC port and fan translation patch becomes available?
I think the chances of that being a clear winner are next to zero, but since we are having fun pretending to be lawyers, I will say that it sounds like a mod and you can nominate mods on their release date.

Portal: Revolution is a mod that is basically Portal 3 in terms of scope and I see no reason why that couldn't win, even if I personally wouldn't pick it.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: April 29th, 2024, 00:41
Granblue Fantasy Relink was my favorite 2024 Q1 release. I had been looking forward to it for years and it did not disappoint. Tight story, fun setpieces and boss fights, 20 different characters with different playstyles to pick from, fantastic soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu and Tsutomu Narita, excellent visuals, and the gameplay has longevity with the journey to defeating the postgame superboss. Really hope a sequel is made soon and it doesn't take 8 years to release this time.

If I had to nitpick, it's that the new Zegragande Skydom in which Relink is set in feels like a rehash of Phantagarde, the first skydom from the gacha game and the most overexposed one. I was excited to explore GBF's fourth skydom, but I feel like I've seen all of this stuff before, not just in the gacha but in the fighting game and in the anime. It would have been nice if it had been something more exotic and unique, like Nalhegrande with its unique fusion of palacious medieval European castles and East Asian architecture.
You know I had entirely forgotten about this game, does it have an active end game or would I need to wrangle other fresh players into playing with me if I picked it up now?
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

A Chinese opium den wrote: April 29th, 2024, 01:28
You know I had entirely forgotten about this game, does it have an active end game or would I need to wrangle other fresh players into playing with me if I picked it up now?
The game is still active. You beat the main story by yourself, and then after that you can progress through three tiers of postgame quests that become increasingly difficult. Doing the quests with other players is way faster but most of them can be soloed if need be. There are six quests in particular that are very difficult to alone, even as a geared player: the three quests where you fight two dragons at once, the Gallanza and Magielle dual boss fight, Proto-Bahamut, and the Lucilius superboss. The latter three quests drop valuable loot so people are continuing to queue for them through multiplayer and making their own farm lobbies you can join. If queuing for a quest through matchmaking doesn't work, you can open a lobby asking for help and people will join. Another thing is that if you play with other people, you only have to farm stuff to gear up the one character you play, rather than having to farm 4x as many mats to upgrade your party of 4 characters (the one you control + 3 NPCs).

The most consistent issue I've seen with new players trying to progress is that they don't understand how to build their characters. There is a damage cap that you will easily reach, and the way to deal more damage is to equip damage uncap sigils that allow you to deal more damage. I don't think the game ever explains that there is a damage cap mechanic. Secondly, players too often equip the attack sigil which gives them a tiny amount of attack stat in the endgame, when they should be equipping damage multiplier sigils like stamina, tyranny, life on the line, less is more, charged attack, etc.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

The only 2024 games I played are Wrath Aeon of Ruin and Alone on the Dark reboot. They're OK games, but neither of them are RPGs, and neither of them are probably worthy of GOTQ award.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

WhiteShark wrote: April 29th, 2024, 04:14
@A Chinese opium den, do you think Reverse Collapse is worth nominating?
I hadn't thought about it but I would say its the best game I've played that came out this quarter by a good margin. Very solid and fun gameplay and a good story with a lot of replay-ability due to the gimmick of the story and having multiple endings, all with 0 gay communist politics or black people. Only complaint is that some of the stealth missions can take a while but you can brute force all of them by playing well and initiating combat if you don't like that sort of thing. Would highly recommend if you like TRPGs, and even if you don't its got a lot of difficulty options for babies all the way up to real serious hardcore gamers (like me :cool: ).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 28th, 2024, 15:56
How come nobody else played this? :(
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 29th, 2024, 11:27
It looks like Mass Effect Andromeda.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

I played it a little bit, followed your comments on it as you played, but I am hit and miss on some games, especially action styles.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Maybe it would be better to go back and do GOTY year-by-year and get writeups for the top N? :scratch:
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

This would probably be my vote if I'd played it. I'm getting around to it, but haven't played games in a while. My free time lately has been spent on the guitar.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

gerey wrote: April 28th, 2024, 22:07
Prince of Persia : The Lost Crown - has niggers
You type game title wrong, here is correct title: "Prince of Persia : The Lost Clown".
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 29th, 2024, 15:21
Maybe it would be better to go back and do GOTY year-by-year and get writeups for the top N? :scratch:
If that's what people want to do they can. I think quarter is more interesting because for something like last year there isn't much discussion to be had. Everyone knows the winner is BG3.