We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Junior Adventurer's Guild - April: Alpha Protocol

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Junior Adventurer's Guild - April: Alpha Protocol

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Alpha Protocol

Loyalty carries a price and no one knows this more than agent Michael Thorton. A talented young agent cast out by his government, Thorton is the only one with the information needed to stop an impending international catastrophe. To do so means he must cut himself off from the very people he is sworn to protect. As players determine how to accomplish different objectives, the decisions made and actions taken in each mission will ultimately transform the type of secret agent Michael Thorton will become. Every choice the player makes as Michael Thorton will carry consequences for his future and the fate of the world.
Where to acquire

https://www.gog.com/en/game/alpha_protocol - $17.85 USD
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Time to beat

Troubleshooting

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/55163 ... and-fixes/
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Alpha_Protocol

Note: The last time I played AP, the hacking minigame had a severe issue with mouse movement making it almost impossible to complete in time. Comments from the GoG forum suggest this is still an issue for some players. You can get around this by savescumming, using a controller, or investing in the first hacking skill that allows you to bypass hacks with consumables.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Junior Adventurer's Guild

This is the Kidz Klub version of The Adventurer's Guild. The goal is to get people playing more recent classics, weird little charming RPGs, hidden gems, and ideally give people a fun chance to try games they haven't played before with their good friends at RPGHQ. I highly encourage voting for games you haven't played before! Maybe try a completely new build if it's a game you've already finished.
How exactly are the requirements for games here different than the main thread? IDK just look at the list above and go with the flow. They should be approachable for people who haven't grown up with real old school CRPGS, and if they have direct sequels we should generally play them in order.
► Hall of Champions
► Potential Games
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 24th, 2024, 14:31, edited 18 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

If you want to take over running the AG, even for just a month, you're welcome to. I'd like to get more people engaged, but I think some of those games are just too mainstream — DAO, Oblivion, VTMB pop out at me from the list.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 29th, 2024, 02:29
If you want to take over running the AG, even for just a month, you're welcome to. I'd like to get more people engaged, but I think some of those games are just too mainstream — DAO, Oblivion, VTMB pop out at me from the list.
Based on my observations of who plays what, there shouldn't be much overlap between the regular version and the junior version. I don't think most of the people playing Starwind, the most accessible game so far, played any of the other AG games; the closest I got was setting up T&T on an emulator.

What if we gave each game two months and alternated each month between announcing the next regular game and the next junior game? So, for April, that would mean those working on Starwind would have another month to finish it, but Oyster would also announce a JAG starting on April 1st; then on May 1st, Starwind would end and the next AG game would start, while those playing the JAG game would have all of May to finish it, and so on.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Alpha Protocol (2010)
I've been meaning to replay it.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

This isn't intended as a replacement, just an alternative for people who can't get into every AG game (I look into all of them every month and don't feel confident I could complete them) which is why I chose very approachable games from ~1995-2010. As for some games being too mainstream, I agree and encourage people to vote for games they haven't beaten before, as well as suggest more obscure games I didn't think of. There are games here I would consider popular classics that I haven't played myself but definitely want to, like Alpha Protocol or Dark Messiah.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: March 29th, 2024, 02:41
Based on my observations of who plays what, there shouldn't be much overlap between the regular version and the junior version. I don't think most of the people playing Starwind, the most accessible game so far, played any of the other AG games; the closest I got was setting up T&T on an emulator.

What if we gave each game two months and alternated each month between announcing the next regular game and the next junior game? So, for April, that would mean those working on Starwind would have another month to finish it, but Oyster would also announce a JAG starting on April 1st; then on May 1st, Starwind would end and the next AG game would start, while those playing the JAG game would have all of May to finish it, and so on.
I agree with this in theory but Starwind is already and example of a game that I don't think had a months worth of playtime in it let alone two. Most everyone has moved on and I don't see it attract many more people sadly.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: March 29th, 2024, 02:46
I agree with this in theory but Starwind is already and example of a game that I don't think had a months worth of playtime in it let alone two. Most everyone has moved on and I don't see it attract many more people sadly.
Sure, most games shouldn't need two months if you're playing consistently. My main goal was to make sure that JAG and AG wouldn't be in competition every month for those who want to participate in both. That said, I know some of the AG games were only completed due to time extensions, so an extra month can be helpful.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 29th, 2024, 02:46
This isn't intended as a replacement, just an alternative for people who can't get into every AG game (I look into all of them every month and don't feel confident I could complete them)
To add on to this, I suggest reconsidering this guideline. I personally would like to try some of the DOS CRPGS you ancient people grew up with, but when I see old guard complaining about the games being shit and unfun it makes me stay away. Don't let me dumb down your thread tho.
Suggested games should be obscure, old, or old and obscure. Try to avoid any popular title or title a large portion of people here have likely already played.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: March 29th, 2024, 02:49
Vergil wrote: March 29th, 2024, 02:46
Sure, most games shouldn't need two months if you're playing consistently. My main goal was to make sure that JAG and AG wouldn't be in competition every month for those who want to participate in both. That said, I know some of the AG games were only completed due to time extensions, so an extra month can be helpful.
Like has been said before though I think the overlap between the two groups is a little low. Running concurrently would give people who might be unsatisfied with the current month's game another option so they don't have to wait a full month (or two) to roll the dice on not getting an unplayable MSDOS game again :D .
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Any particular reason why people only talk about Enderal and not Nehrim? Haven't played either and figure one would be a good addition
edit: Same with Jagged Alliance 2 vs JA1
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on March 29th, 2024, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

asf wrote: March 29th, 2024, 03:05
how about playing good games instead
bad games are my favorite games
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

asf wrote: March 29th, 2024, 03:05
how about playing good games instead
Good classic RPGs don't just fall out of the sky ya know.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 29th, 2024, 02:57
edit: Same with Jagged Alliance 2 vs JA1
JA1 is great, I played it back in the day. I prefer it to JA2, maybe it's nostalgia and not a common opinion. Maybe I should replay both and see if I still hold this opinion.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

How about more Dosbox selections? ExoDOS (or exoScumVM/ExoDream/ExoWin3.0 if you like) is easy to DL and setup already put in lunchbox (plus the new version of LB supports detailed searching), and I think it still supports on demand DL (can't remember). Also every game has multiple sound/release versions as well as shader options and comes with all the manuals and extra documentations in one nice and neat package.

Retro eXo

Last edited by Xenich on March 29th, 2024, 14:54, edited 2 times in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Xenich wrote: March 29th, 2024, 14:48
How about more Dosbox selections? ExoDOS (or exoScumVM/ExoDream/ExoWin3.0 if you like) is easy to DL and setup already put in lunchbox (plus the new version of LB supports detailed searching), and I think it still supports on demand DL (can't remember). Also every game has multiple sound/release versions as well as shader options and comes with all the manuals and extra documentations in one nice and neat package.

Retro eXo
Good info but DOS games would be better off in the Adventurer's Guild proper viewtopic.php?t=1060-adventurer-s-guild ... s-upcoming (you should suggest good games here too)
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Two Worlds II has a multiplayer mode. It's a little newer and less obscure but it would allow for multiple people giving the game a try to also play games with the bros too.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: March 29th, 2024, 15:13
Two Worlds II has a multiplayer mode. It's a little newer and less obscure but it would allow for multiple people giving the game a try to also play games with the bros too.
I was thinking it would be best to keep series played in order, but isn't 2 a reimagining of 1 or something?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 29th, 2024, 16:43
Vergil wrote: March 29th, 2024, 15:13
I was thinking it would be best to keep series played in order, but isn't 2 a reimagining of 1 or something?
Nah it's technically a direct sequel but completely ignores the ending of the first game and kind of starts you in media res with no explanation as to how things got the way they are.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Nooneatall wrote: March 29th, 2024, 16:47
Final fantasy 3, 5, or tactics
Final Fantasy 3 or Final Fantasy "3"?
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 29th, 2024, 16:53
Nooneatall wrote: March 29th, 2024, 16:47
Final fantasy 3, 5, or tactics
Final Fantasy 3 or Final Fantasy "3"?
The one from the nes
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Poll is open. You get 2 votes. I encourage voting for games you haven't finished before, but I'm not your dad.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Need some tie breaking votes here. I plan on changing up the voting process each month (assuming people participate and this thread doesn't die instantly)
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I've only just learned that the rerelease of the original Two Worlds has multiplayer now as well :D
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I'm sure it's hilariously bad just like the single player experience.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Inb4 this is all a 1st april joke and we'll only have yet another MSDOS game as the sole option