We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What is the Adventurer's Guild?

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

What is the Adventurer's Guild?

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Each month we play a game selected from a list of suggested games(suggest games here). Games are picked one week prior to the start of a new month, any games added to the list after this are ineligible until the next month.
Everyone participating plays the game simultaneously and provides feedback/assistance.

As an incentive, you get a themed badge for completion of the game during the month for the game.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on October 12th, 2023, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 12th, 2023, 08:02
Each month we play a game selected from a list of suggested games(suggest games here). Games are picked one week prior to the start of a new month, any games added to the list after this are ineligible until the next month.
Everyone participating plays the game simultaneously and provides feedback/assistance.

As an incentive, you get a themed badge for completion of the game during the month for the game.
Each game will get a detected thread? Basic rules for quest/gameplay spoilers? Rules for images/webms? Discussion of forbidden knowledge? meta gameplay
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Boontaker wrote: October 12th, 2023, 08:27
rusty_shackleford wrote: October 12th, 2023, 08:02

Each game will get a detected thread? Basic rules for quest/gameplay spoilers? Rules for images/webms? Discussion of forbidden knowledge? meta gameplay
Yes, each month will have its own thread. Spoilers should be put in spoiler tags with appropriate context provided.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Also should the games be RPGs that can reasonably be completed in a month? Some good oldies and many modern RPGs would require more than 14 hrs per week to complete in a month.
40 hrs or less?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Completion is a high bar for the badges. And frankly it's not likely I ever will have the time preference to complete one of these old, obscure games. Also, do we really want to limit ourselves to only short games just for the sake of the badges?

IMO give a badge to everyone who participates and makes reasonable progress/effort. Yes, that's a "participation award", but that's the point of the guild, isn't it?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: October 12th, 2023, 14:33
Completion is a high bar for the badges. And frankly it's not likely I ever will have the time preference to complete one of these old, obscure games. Also, do we really want to limit ourselves to only short games just for the sake of the badges?

IMO give a badge to everyone who participates and makes reasonable progress/effort. Yes, that's a "participation award", but that's the point of the guild, isn't it?
I was going to limit it to the first person who completed it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Boontaker wrote: October 12th, 2023, 08:51
Also should the games be RPGs that can reasonably be completed in a month? Some good oldies and many modern RPGs would require more than 14 hrs per week to complete in a month.
40 hrs or less?
I beat BG3 in a week. We should be fine.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 12th, 2023, 14:38
I beat BG3 in a week.
It took you longer than that :lol:
Last edited by Nemesis on October 12th, 2023, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

No.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

No, it has to be hard, or it won't be worth it.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Yeah but you don't sleep.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Dead wrote: October 12th, 2023, 15:40

No, it has to be hard, or it won't be worth it.
It's not hard, it's tedious and boring. Go try to slog through Shard of Spring. If it was based on skill it would be different, but RPGs is a genre for retards.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Personally I don't care about the badges and think they're kind of gay. Only making the suggestion because some people do care, and participation in SoS is so low.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Emphyrio wrote: October 12th, 2023, 16:12
Personally I don't care about the badges and think they're kind of gay. Only making the suggestion because some people do care, and participation in SoS is so low.
Game needs to be at least fun or participation will always be low
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

I like this, but question on your lists, are the suggestions limited to more accessible titles and setups? I mean, I have a crap load of emulated games from the old Amstrad, Apple, Amiga that look pretty good and I am not sure all of them are on DOS.

Which then brings in the question, do people have an aversion to text based games as well?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 15:13
I like this, but question on your lists, are the suggestions limited to more accessible titles and setups? I mean, I have a crap load of emulated games from the old Amstrad, Apple, Amiga that look pretty good and I am not sure all of them are on DOS.

Which then brings in the question, do people have an aversion to text based games as well?
Not being able to easily install/play is probably a pretty big barrier.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

So, have we had any good AG games yet?
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 02:39
Xenich wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 15:13

Not being able to easily install/play is probably a pretty big barrier.
Agreed, there are some easy install solutions for some.

Lets see, eXo (eXoDOS) has an eXoAppleIIGS download for launchbox, as well as eXoScummVM, eXoWin3x, and eXoDream (though these are mostly adventure games, not RPGs).
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
The initial install for the system is fairly easy, and then the games can be setup instantly and played similar to eXoDOS.

As for the Amiga and Apple IIe and others, a little more setup is required, but I have found that libreto has some good cores for Retroach that work extremely well with those systems and are very easy to setup.

Also, eXo is prepacked with Launchbox, so adding Amiga for instance would simply be an import of the WHDLoads into Launchbox and adding the core to Retroach (which is already pre-installed with Launchbox I believe).
Hidden Content
To be honest, if you know how to add mods, and install something like Starwind, this would be pretty easy as well.

Ultimately though, the biggest "config" would not be the games themselves, rather the first initial setup of these packages which as I said are pretty easy to setup. After that, its just push and play for the most part (as I am sure many of you already know).
Hidden Content
Just a thought, not sure how many want to bother, or if they have issues with DL speed to download the entire collections (while the games are small, the collections can still be large, I think eXoDOS is the largest with around 600gb's).
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I already suggested a non DOS game and Rusty started flailing his arms around and grunting so forget it.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

If we are going to spring for stuff like Amiga games, then the first game on the list should be Black Crypt.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

Oh. So that’s what those pinned threads were. Whoops :lol:

Alright, I’ll join you guys for April
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

loregamer wrote: March 31st, 2024, 09:53
Oh. So that’s what those pinned threads were. Whoops :lol:

Alright, I’ll join you guys for April
April fools!