We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Adventurer's Guild Games Suggestions & Upcoming

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 1st, 2024, 01:14

Code: Select all

Randomly selected game: Starfield
Get your suggestions in for next month!
Gonna have to pirate Starfield for a third time :evil:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Should I add a rule that games in a series must be played sequentially?
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

When I suggested you guys play Demon's Weiner after Shart of Spring you got all fussy.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 07:44
Must is a strong requirement, how about preferred or provide reasons for skipping previous entries. Still want to play Amberstar. In fact, add Amberstar.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 25th, 2023, 14:22
It's one week before November, therefore, game pickin' time.

import random

games = [
    "Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan",
    "Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown",
    "Dragon Wars",
    "Realms of Antiquity",
    "Starwind",
    "Ambermoon"
]

selected_game = random.choice(games)
print(f"Randomly selected game: {selected_game}")

Randomly selected game: Ambermoon
Don't forget to suggest games for next month.
Starwind is awesome, I was just about to start a post about it before searching
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Well, that sounds like a good a reason as any to make it March's game.

(Personally, I'm excited for us to get to Realms of Antiquity, since it has a decent user experience unlike most of these so far.)
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Feedback on this? We currently have Exile III on there with no Exile or Exile II played.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I would say that each title deserves its own month. No need for extra rules that only complicate things.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The_Mask wrote: March 1st, 2024, 08:00
I would say that each title deserves its own month. No need for extra rules that only complicate things.
Well, yes, the question was whether it should be required to have the previous titles come up first rather than play them out of order.

That is, when a game is completed its sequel is placed on the list automatically.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 1st, 2024, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I would say that it would make sense to play them in order, so that the people interested in the series would experience the change and evolution in design just the way the people at the time did.

That being said, if the series is Diablo, for example... I don't know... let's say we ought to always leave room for exceptions.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Watser wrote: February 1st, 2024, 08:16
Must is a strong requirement, how about preferred or provide reasons for skipping previous entries. Still want to play Amberstar. In fact, add Amberstar.
It's almost like nobody reads my posts
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Maybe a total conversion for Fallout2. How about Resurrection? I'm fine with whatever of the four existing ones.
Last edited by Fargus on March 25th, 2024, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Whatever it is, it should probably be a bit more accessible than the last few games.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Reposting this here from the other forum to put it in the proper place:

How about more Dosbox selections? ExoDOS (or exoScumVM/ExoDream/ExoWin3.0 if you like) is easy to DL and setup already put in lunchbox (plus the new version of LB supports detailed searching), and I think it still supports on demand DL (can't remember). Also every game has multiple sound/release versions as well as shader options and comes with all the manuals and extra documentations in one nice and neat package.

Retro eXo

Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

The optional media pack is great reading. I think ExoDos still supports individual DLing, if it doesn't though you'd better have a lot of space ready and I do mean a lot.

Anvil of Dawn and Stonekeep might be worthy additions to the slush pile, both are accessible and I don't think most of this crowd has played them. Quite frankly I also suggest Wasteland if most people here haven't played it, it's about as accessible as an 80s RPG comes.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

What about Dungeon Master? Significant historical importance and still considered the best in its genre (together with Chaos Strikes Back).
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Watser wrote: March 30th, 2024, 21:32
What about Dungeon Master? Significant historical importance and still considered the best in its genre (together with Chaos Strikes Back).
If most people here haven't played it I don't see why not, probably need to take some polls on these things. I never played CSB myself.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Xenich wrote: March 29th, 2024, 15:26

How about more Dosbox selections? ExoDOS (or exoScumVM/ExoDream/ExoWin3.0 if you like) is easy to DL and setup already put in lunchbox (plus the new version of LB supports detailed searching), and I think it still supports on demand DL (can't remember). Also every game has multiple sound/release versions as well as shader options and comes with all the manuals and extra documentations in one nice and neat package.

Retro eXo

I have no idea what I'm looking at
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 30th, 2024, 22:49

Retro eXo

Have you heard of Launchbox or Retroach? It is a frontend for games (kind of like how steam/Gog Galaxy work but this is all local once you download it). This is called eXoDOS, basically it it is a collection of DOS games created to preserve the original content of the games. All games have complete documentation, original files, etc... (often multiple releases of the games) all pre-configured with Dosbox, ready to quick install and play with a short configuration for them (version selection, sound card selections, and it even has a basic set of shaders you can use to modify the games).

Its full size is around near 700 gb's (roughly about 10 k official releases and shareware titles), but I think it has a download on demand feature (it used to, but may have changed). If you download the entire package, all games will be setup and displayed in Launchbox. You can then go through the games, see screen shots, some play music from the game and some have videos of game play. You select the game, do a fast install/setup through a batch file in the menu and play. Launchbox allows for searching by various means and sorts the games as you like.

Along with the games, you can also get the magazines from the era, and all dos books and documentation as well displayed in the same format.

It is very nice if you like trying tons of old games as it is all plug and play so to speak with no headache configuration on your machine required.

There is also different eXo releases as well such as eXoWin3.0 games, eXoScumVM (all the adventure games and series from scummVM), eXoDream (original lucas arts games in a custom emulator specifically for those games), as well as eXoAppleIIGS as well. There are plans to expand later into additional platforms over time.

Launchbox itself is a separate product (it is just packaged with eXo).

Anyway, what is nice is you can have not only all those games in a library, but add your own games as well, even importing directly from Steam/GoG/EA. etc... Also it has a very nice MAME install tool which makes it very easy to add whatever ROMset version you have. It really is a cool system. It even has a "BigBox" integration which allows it to work well with TV setups to browse with (though that is a feature you have to buy LB to get). The free version has most of what you need to do most things, the pay version just comes with extra utils and the like.

Here is an example:

Here is a video where eXo explains what eXoDOS is:

Last edited by Xenich on March 30th, 2024, 23:47, edited 3 times in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Xenich wrote: March 30th, 2024, 23:35

Retro eXo

Have you heard of Launchbox or Retroach? It is a frontend for games (kind of like how steam/Gog Galaxy work but this is all local once you download it). This is called eXoDOS, basically it it is a collection of DOS games created to preserve the original content of the games. All games have complete documentation, original files, etc... (often multiple releases of the games) all pre-configured with Dosbox, ready to quick install and play with a short configuration for them (version selection, sound card selections, and it even has a basic set of shaders you can use to modify the games).

Its full size is around near 700 gb's (roughly about 10 k official releases and shareware titles), but I think it has a download on demand feature (it used to, but may have changed). If you download the entire package, all games will be setup and displayed in Launchbox. You can then go through the games, see screen shots, some play music from the game and some have videos of game play. You select the game, do a fast install/setup through a batch file in the menu and play. Launchbox allows for searching by various means and sorts the games as you like.

Along with the games, you can also get the magazines from the era, and all dos books and documentation as well displayed in the same format.

It is very nice if you like trying tons of old games as it is all plug and play so to speak with no headache configuration on your machine required.

There is also different eXo releases as well such as eXoWin3.0 games, eXoScumVM (all the adventure games and series from scummVM), eXoDream (original lucas arts games in a custom emulator specifically for those games), as well as eXoAppleIIGS as well. There are plans to expand later into additional platforms over time.

Anyway, what is nice is you can have not only all those games in a library, but add your own games as well, even importing directly from Steam/GoG/EA. etc... Also it has a very nice MAME install tool which makes it very easy to add whatever ROMset version you have. It really is a cool system. It even has a "BigBox" integration which allows it to work well with TV setups to browse with (though that is a feature you have to buy LB to get). The free version has most of what you need to do most things, the pay version just comes with extra utils and the like.

Here is an example:

Thanks this is quite informative, I don't really know what a DOS game is though
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Nammu Archag wrote: March 30th, 2024, 23:56
I don't really know what a DOS game is though
Almost always referring to games made for MS-DOS or DOS-compatible OS.
Usually run now using DOSBox.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 31st, 2024, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 30th, 2024, 23:56
Xenich wrote: March 30th, 2024, 23:35

Here is an example:

Thanks this is quite informative, I don't really know what a DOS game is though
Really? Are you pulling my leg?

Ok, Microsoft DOS. It is an operating system created in 1981 by Microsoft. It was a command line system released before the graphical versions (win 3.0, Win95, 98, 2000, XP, Win7, so on...).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

What is unique about it is that this was considered pretty much the golden era for RPGs (Wizardy, Might and magic, Dungeon Master, Krondor series, AD&D gold box, etc...). There are also a lot of good action games for the times as well, including Doom, Wolfenstein, etc... Not to mention the Adventure game era as well.

It really is amazing the games that existed and if you aren't a graphics snob, there is a lot there to enjoy.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Xenich wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:04

What is unique about it is that this was considered pretty much the golden era for RPGs (Wizardy, Might and magic, Dungeon Master, Krondor series, AD&D gold box, etc...).
Stop saying so much truth, you're making me sad
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:07

What is unique about it is that this was considered pretty much the golden era for RPGs (Wizardy, Might and magic, Dungeon Master, Krondor series, AD&D gold box, etc...).
It was an awesome time to play them, though I don't miss the load times when running certain systems from a floppy drive. I think this is why I love the emulators, especially eXo's work as you not only get to play the game without all the headache of setting up sound card interrupts, memory size, etc... but having all the different versions of sound cards is great as some of them were pretty pricey at the time.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Ok, Microsoft DOS. It is an operating system created in 1981 by Microsoft. It was a command line system released before the graphical versions (win 3.0, Win95, 98, 2000, XP, Win7, so on...).

What is unique about it is that this was considered pretty much the golden era for RPGs (Wizardy, Might and Magic, Dungeon Master, Krondor series, AD&D gold box, etc...). There are also a lot of good action games for the times as well, including Doom, Wolfenstein, etc... Not to mention the Adventure game era as well.

It really is amazing the games that existed and if you aren't a graphics snob, there is a lot there to enjoy.
Yeah I was hardly aware. MS DOS sounds familiar but I've never used it or really anything on it considering I started seriously gaming in the 2010s with consoles. I don't care about graphics as long as they look pleasing/appropriate
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:22

What is unique about it is that this was considered pretty much the golden era for RPGs (Wizardy, Might and Magic, Dungeon Master, Krondor series, AD&D gold box, etc...). There are also a lot of good action games for the times as well, including Doom, Wolfenstein, etc... Not to mention the Adventure game era as well.

Yeah I was hardly aware. MS DOS sounds familiar but I've never used it or really anything on it considering I started seriously gaming in the 2010s with consoles. I don't care about graphics as long as they look pleasing/appropriate
Then you should be in for a treat.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Xenich wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:13
Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:07

It was an awesome time to play them, though I don't miss the load times when running certain systems from a floppy drive. I think this is why I love the emulators, especially eXo's work as you not only get to play the game without all the headache of setting up sound card interrupts, memory size, etc... but having all the different versions of sound cards is great as some of them were pretty pricey at the time.
I dunno, there was a feeling suspense,sticking a floppy into the C64 and waiting two minutes for the game to load up.

Also, while Exo is set up to run everything it's not always the most optimal (for me), knowing how to mess with the settings will help a lot.