We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Dominions 6

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 03:19
Kalarion wrote: April 18th, 2024, 03:01
Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 00:14
Ok, finally had time to look at the turn. Situation is dire but it's not over yet. I'm on top of Na'ba with my intact main army.

It would be easier if I wasn't defending against a 3v1 in my south/southwestern front. Really nord guys, what's up with that?

Yes, what on earth could possibly have made me decide to build a new midstrength doomstack and come after you? OH I DONT KNOW
You need to calibrate your sarcasm/blustering detector. I even photoshopped the results of the battle to make it look it better for me. :mrgreen:
finish your turn
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: April 18th, 2024, 03:24
Kalarion wrote: April 18th, 2024, 03:01

Yes, what on earth could possibly have made me decide to build a new midstrength doomstack and come after you? OH I DONT KNOW
You need to calibrate your sarcasm/blustering detector. I even photoshopped the results of the battle to make it look it better for me. :mrgreen:
finish your turn
Still waiting for a reply from my greatest ally.

PS: He's non-responsive and his replies here and in PMs have been very pessimistic and wants to get to the next game. So I'll just follow alone, I guess. Finished my turn.
Last edited by Irenaeus on April 18th, 2024, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 03:34

finish your turn
You ran you coward fucker
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: April 18th, 2024, 03:43

finish your turn
You know this is a strategic game, right? And I'm not some mindless AI.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 03:44
Emphyrio wrote: April 18th, 2024, 03:43

You know this is a strategic game, right? And I'm not some mindless AI.
Yeah but I'm not going to waste hours more on this game just chasing your worthless stack around.

GG I resign.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: April 18th, 2024, 03:47

Yeah but I'm not going to waste hours more on this game

GG I resign.
Suit yourself!

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

OK maybe I am being unfair in getting mad at you as you might not have realized what you were doing. I'm just a bit annoyed because you already conceded and I told my wofe that my evening was free because the game was over, and then when you reneged I spent two hours scripting for a fight that didn't happen. Normally there's nothing wrong with juking like that but this is different. If you actually thought you could still win a battle and turn things around that's one thing, and I was willing to respect that by continuing to play it out, but you ran. If you don't think you can win a battle with your big stack, what do you think your path to victory is? Wandering your 25 mages back and forth around the valley isn't hurting me. You have only 2 forts and sloth 3 and most of your mages aren't researching. Your odds aren't improving by dragging things out. My turns take a long time now and if it's gonna be ten more turns and ten hours more scripting time just chasing your stack around then I'll pass.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Emphyrio wrote: April 18th, 2024, 05:18
OK maybe I am being unfair in getting mad at you as you might not have realized what you were doing. I'm just a bit annoyed because you already conceded and I told my wofe that my evening was free because the game was over, and then when you reneged I spent two hours scripting for a fight that didn't happen. Normally there's nothing wrong with juking like that but this is different. If you actually thought you could still win a battle and turn things around that's one thing, and I was willing to respect that by continuing to play it out, but you ran. If you don't think you can win a battle with your big stack, what do you think your path to victory is? Wandering your 25 mages back and forth around the valley isn't hurting me. You have only 2 forts and sloth 3 and most of your mages aren't researching. Your odds aren't improving by dragging things out. My turns take a long time now and if it's gonna be ten more turns and ten hours more scripting time just chasing your stack around then I'll pass.
You showed mercy, you paid for it. Here is your prize
You can only redeem yourself by crushing your opponents so absolutely in the next game that they fear you for many games to come
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

OK maybe I am being unfair in getting mad at you
Yes.
as you might not have realized what you were doing
Trying to win?
I'm just a bit annoyed because you already conceded and I told my wofe that my evening was free because the game was over, and then when you reneged I spent two hours scripting for a fight that didn't happen.
Two hours? Wtf
Normally there's nothing wrong with juking like that but this is different. If you actually thought you could still win a battle and turn things around that's one thing, and I was willing to respect that by continuing to play it out, but you ran.
I didn't run, it's called strategic retreat. Call it a raid on your capital.
If you don't think you can win a battle with your big stack, what do you think your path to victory is?
Ever heard of Sun Tzu? Don't fight when you may lose.
Wandering your 25 mages back and forth around the valley isn't hurting me.
I disagree.
You have only 2 forts and sloth 3 and most of your mages aren't researching. Your odds aren't improving by dragging things out.
Disagree, I have good research to crush you and my pretender (not tendie, fag) has just awaken.
My turns take a long time now and if it's gonna be ten more turns and ten hours more scripting time just chasing your stack around then I'll pass.
I'm having a ton of fun with the game, if you aren't sucks to be you.
I'm fine with you resigning. You don't seem to want to play anymore. You're not going to make me resign by bossing me around on the forum. I'm tired of your attitude. Who the fuck do you think you are? You're just a faggot who would lose hard this game if it wasn't for you convincing the two nords to bite me in the back.

@Decline @Nemesis @Kalarion
Thoughts?
Want to continue playing, or do you want to declare me the winner? @Emphyrio resigned.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

@Irenaeus I apologize for getting snippy last night.

This game has become too much of a timesink so I'm gonna sit the next one out.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: April 18th, 2024, 14:03

Alright, alright. Sorry for caling you a faggot, I just don't like being bullied into accepting defeat prematuraly. It's just that my turns take like 5 minutes tops, so I am enjoying the game as a little distraction. I really suggest we the players vote on who wants to keep playing this game, or declare a winner and move on. I vote to keep going, obviously, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 14:12

Alright, alright. Sorry for caling you a faggot, I just don't like being bullied into accepting defeat prematuraly. It's just that my turns take like 5 minutes tops, so I am enjoying the game as a little distraction. I really suggest we the players vote on who wants to keep playing this game, or declare a winner and move on. I vote to keep going, obviously, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.
Or you can keep your stack in Tenera this turn and we'll final battle. You can even bring your dragon.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: April 18th, 2024, 14:31
Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 14:12

Or you can keep your stack in Tenera this turn and we'll final battle. You can even bring your dragon.
You keep giving terrible war advice, I'm starting to think you don't have my interests in the highest regards.

Edit: To others who might be reading this, I'm retreating with my main army back to my where my northern fortress is, already full of mages and newly build army, to concentrate my forces: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_concentration
Then, I'm going to deal with @Emphyrio allies, @Nemesis and @Kalarion , separatly, it's called defeat in detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_in_detail
Last edited by Irenaeus on April 18th, 2024, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 14:34
You keep giving terrible war advice, I'm starting to think you don't have my interests in the highest regards.
It's not advice, just proposing an honorabu duel to end to the game.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: April 18th, 2024, 14:37
You are proposing moves that will make you win the game. I'm planning moves to win the game. It's called playing the game. You can't boss me around.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

will this end in butthurt tears
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

asf wrote: April 18th, 2024, 14:42
will this end in butthurt tears
Let's see if @Emphyrio has what it takes to win three games in a row.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Can we see some screenshots of this game or would it reveal too much Intel?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 18th, 2024, 15:59
Can we see some screenshots of this game or would it reveal too much Intel?
i'll post screenshots when i get home

decline has the current graphs
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

@Kalarion what do you mean by disagree? Please give us your opinion, do you want to keep playing, or vote for me (or for @Emphyrio :yuk:) to prematurely win this?
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

You were, maybe understandably, but you were. He didn't resign, he said he'd have to concede if we ended up successfully raping him. Which we haven't yet. And trying to tell him why he won't win, when he's still trying to win, is not going to work or be helpful. It might work on me, because I'm inclined to listen to players I think are much better than I am. Iren isn't like that though.

I'm curious myself why your turns take so long, is there some level of fight scripting that I'm not aware or something? I just slap orders on my people, try to position them to not step on each others' toes and have my mages cast generally useful spells to start the fight. What am I missing?
Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 16:02
@Kalarion what do you mean by disagree? Please give us your opinion, do you want to keep playing, or vote for me (or for @Emphyrio :yuk:) to prematurely win this?
I was disagreeing with calling Emphyrio a faggot and accusing him of bullying. I rated before I'd seen your apology. I'll change it.

It's really not bullying per se. Peremptory might be better. High-handed. Arrogant (usually, but not always, unintentionally). TLDR; I think what it comes down to is a difference in opinion on when a game is over. To you and I, a game is over when the victory conditions are met, and not before. To Emphyrio and Decline, a game is over when the outcome becomes "obvious", whether that occurs in turn 50 or turn 10.
► Long-winded explanation
Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 14:39
Emphyrio wrote: April 18th, 2024, 14:37
You are proposing moves that will make you win the game. I'm planning moves to win the game. It's called playing the game. You can't boss me around.
This is what I mean. In Emphyrio's mind the game is already won, if he bothers to take the time to play it through. The proposal of a duel is a time-saver to him ("I know I would have won a fully-played game, I'll just cut it short with a duel, if I lose the duel no big deal"), not a gamble ("OH MY GOD I might lose, maybe if I mind-game Iren into a duel I can claim victory!"). There's no attempted bossing involved.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Right,@Emphyrio thinks he already won. But CAN he win?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Kalarion wrote: April 18th, 2024, 17:16
I'm curious myself why your turns take so long, is there some level of fight scripting that I'm not aware or something? I just slap orders on my people, try to position them to not step on each others' toes and have my mages cast generally useful spells to start the fight. What am I missing?
I have (roughly guessing based on when I had the graph site a couple turns ago) about as many troops as everyone else combined, over a larger territory. My commanders are mostly not in one big stack all moving together but are spread out all over the place, most can stealth, many can fly and now that I have water kobolds also sail. Na'Ba has a bit of extra stealth complexity because of the way stealth, glamor and Veil Army work (or don't) together. Many mages are casting different rituals or forging items each turn or sitesearching and they need to be tracked. I'm fighting in four different places and coordinating the sieges of two forts on opposite ends of the map. This is just at the level of moving armies around. At the battle level there's picking all the first 5 spells, moving gems around so that mages can pathboost, checking spacing so that spells are in the right range or troops in the back will have moved the right distance to still block flankers. Last turn took longer because I scripted every commander in the cap or in movement range of it for a big fight. Maybe other people don't take so long at this stage of the game but I do.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Just wanted to say I reached Thaum5 and I'm going to Soul Slay all your mages.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

This is the guy claiming he can beat me:

Decline

Post by Decline »

You can really go deep into scripting your army if you want. If it is worth it in a game with a lot of RNG? There are different opinions on that. I try to spend not more than 1 hour/turn.

In Emphyrios defense, he is fighting 2v1 and he also plays super carefully and has a lot of troops to shuffle around. That can consume a lot of time.
a game is over when the outcome becomes "obvious"
Dominions is not an obvious game. I am just frustrated with my starting pos. All the neat stuff I wanted to try I can't. :cry:
Last edited by Decline on April 18th, 2024, 23:27, edited 2 times in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Decline wrote: April 18th, 2024, 23:21

In Emphyrios defense, he is fighting 2v1
I'd like to remind the crowd that he attacked me and @Decline in the same turn.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Irenaeus wrote: April 18th, 2024, 23:39
Decline wrote: April 18th, 2024, 23:21

In Emphyrios defense, he is fighting 2v1
I'd like to remind the crowd that he attacked me and @Decline in the same turn.
Attacking Decline was actually an accident and part of my horrible luck that turn but war was inevitable so I went with it.