Songs of Conquest - Spiritual Successor to HOMM

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
Decline

Songs of Conquest - Spiritual Successor to HOMM

Post by Decline »

Definitely one of the better turn-based strategy games of recent times is scheduled to be released on May 20th.

If anyone is interested in some chill rounds of multiplayer, hit me up.
Last edited by Decline on May 2nd, 2024, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

did somebody say homm?

also gross nigress
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

It is currently on sale at GOG for -66% off if anyone is interested in a DRM-Free option.
The pixel art for the units looks pretty nice but unfortunately multiplayer appears to require the Galaxy/Steam/Epic client so that counts me out at the moment. How is the single player campaign @Decline?
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Yeah, despite me zeroing in on the uglyness (see my previous post), I quite enjoyed the pixel art for the game that they have presented on their steam page. :thumbsup:
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Irenaeus wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 15:19
Yeah, despite me zeroing in on the uglyness (see my previous post), I quite enjoyed the pixel art for the game that they have presented on their steam page. :thumbsup:
Looked around a bit, didn't see clarification on these:

1. Will there be a complete editor? As in the ability to fully modify game play systems and function? (Road map only mentions Campaign and modding generally)
2. Game pad support (How does the interface function? Is it "designed for" pads, in that this drives the menu system design, leaving mouse/keyboard as an afterthought.)

For (1), if it isn't fully modifiable, I am already seeing some disconnect in how the game play engine handles things concerning style of play. If it isn't "modifiable", it may be a turn off for some play style approaches.

For (2), this is a killer for me. I don't have a problem with a dual focused adaptive interface engine being applied (see classic DOS adapted to controller after it was made for mouse/KB) which while there were some annoyances they moved to, the system was still comfortable for mouse/KB and felt fairly natural. Most "Game pad" games tend to cheap out on the console approach to the interfaces leaving mouse/kb interfaces rather klunky in design to attend to the limitations of game pads.

If the game is going to be a limited, specialized HOMM game where it lacks series modification, might as well just go with VCMI and do a complete graphics change to it considering it is open source (ie you could take all of this game and essentially replicate it in VCMI )

Lastly, I really don't like the nigger shit in this (seriously, a fucking Afro nigger chick they pick, nope... not DEI pandering at all... nope).

To be honest, the tools, mods, adaptions etc... of the HOMM community for the original games and the open sourced versions, still seems like it is a far better choice, but time will tell if this has the potential to be as flexible.
Last edited by Xenich on May 2nd, 2024, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

SpellSword wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 04:38
The pixel art for the units looks pretty nice but unfortunately multiplayer appears to require the Galaxy/Steam/Epic client so that counts me out at the moment. How is the single player campaign @Decline?
Fairly sizeable. It's 'just' 4 maps per nation, but each map takes quite some time to complete. And the national campaign for the niggress faction (Berytos) isn't in yet. I think it is fairly well made (I play on Overwhelming difficulty).
Xenich wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 15:48
1. Will there be a complete editor? As in the ability to fully modify game play systems and function? (Road map only mentions Campaign and modding generally)
https://www.songsofconquest.com/modding
2. Game pad support (How does the interface function? Is it "designed for" pads, in that this drives the menu system design, leaving mouse/keyboard as an afterthought.)
It has one of the best controller support on Steamdeck I've experienced so far. It just works and makes sense.
Lastly, I really don't like the nigger shit in this
There is currently 1 nigger in the game (as opposed to ~10 in HOMM3)
Last edited by Decline on May 2nd, 2024, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Decline wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 22:47
It has one of the best controller support on Steamdeck I've experienced so far. It just works and makes sense.
What I mean is, does the controller support drive the interface design over that of a keyboard/mouse (ie step menus, odd feeling when using a mouse, like you have to do more work than you would with a PC designed game, etc... like most console games have when ported to PC).

Decline wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 22:47
Lastly, I really don't like the nigger shit in this
There is currently 1 nigger in the game (as opposed to ~10 in HOMM3)
Well, most kind of look the part though (aside from Edric who looks out of place). This one looks like it is out of a 70's disco, though I am being defensive though about it, but not unreasonably due to the climate.

Engine looks good though. Looks like you will be able to change quite a bit in modding.
Last edited by Xenich on May 2nd, 2024, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

So it's simple to get rid of wokeness in the game, just ban Berytos from multiplayer.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Irenaeus wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 01:08
So it's simple to get rid of wokeness in the game, just ban Berytos from multiplayer.
Or just don't pick the jogger wielders.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Decline wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 01:14
Irenaeus wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 01:08
Or just don't pick the jogger wielders.
I'm almost buying the game to try and find out what this cryptic message means!