We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Last Epoch

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 16th, 2024, 21:42
Decline wrote: March 16th, 2024, 21:42
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 16th, 2024, 21:37

Neither game has Everquest-like itemization so I'm not sure if he's ever played the game.
No idea why he'd say that then as the itemization in Diablo is nothing like Everquest.
I'll even ping @Gregz as he regularly plays both.
Thanks; I enjoyed the interview. Diablo (I and II) and EverQuest are both brilliant games, and David Brevik is probably my favorite game designer of all time, as a person.

There are no RNG stats on EverQuest items. That's an artifact of sales pressure from Verant designed to encourage players to buy the next expansion. It's a vestigial remnant of the sales model that they were exploring at the time. If you remove that, then Diablo and EverQuest itemization are essentially identical. Tremendous loot variety has all kinds of desirable and interesting effects, which both games exhibit hugely, as I'll explain.

An RPG is not much more than accumulating levels and items. So, if that's the constraint your character is working within, then the pieces you're carrying are essentially half of the game. Combining those pieces to optimally support the build you're trying for is, therefore, an interesting problem. Because the math is so outrageous, it's difficult both as a designer and as a player to anticipate all of the different ways to combine equipment and abilities to do novel things in novel ways. Which is where the real art, and fun, of this hobby shines. Having said all of that, both EverQuest and Diablo II grant the player tremendous flexibility through item variety. If that were not the case, then there would be no reason for different classes with different roles to equip the same items, which happens all the time. It's a fantastic system of itemization because there is always something better, and it encourages trading with other players. Whether you need to slay RNG or an end boss to get that next upgrade is irrelevant.

Decline

Post by Decline »

Gregz wrote: March 16th, 2024, 23:49
Whether you need to slay RNG or an end boss to get that next upgrade is irrelevant.
Regarding end bosses, rather than another loot pinata they are more a test of skill/your build and are consequently heavily inspired by arcade games (e.g. positioning, learning the attack patterns)
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Tweed wrote: March 16th, 2024, 22:47
Rusty's idea of a good time is sitting in the same spot for week waiting for a monster that only spawns once every eight hours so he can get shield he doesn't even need.
If I has a quest I has to finish it, simple as.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Last Epoch Patch 1.0.4 Notes
Changes

Players can no longer stun themselves. An example of this was by using the Signet of Agony node in Bone Curse
Replaced the XP Tome sound effect in Echo of a World
Flagged more prophecy rewards as "rare/valuable" (which animates them to rotate and makes them slightly larger than other stars in the Constellation)
Increased the favor cost multiplier for Glyph of Despair Prophecies
You can no longer gain experience while in the grace period (the period of invulnerability after arriving to a new area)
Added missing name in Graveyard
Overhauled terrain, spawners, and shrines in the Hidden Oasis Echo Map to both improve visuals, and performance, and fix hideable issues with palms
Overhauled visuals and added Scene Variants for Lightless Pits Echo Map

Bug Fixes

Skills & Passives

Fixed a bug where Upheaval's "Master of the Totem" didn't buff Tempest Strike Totem damage and armor
Fixed a bug where Storm Crow's "Arborist" didn't buff Tempest Strike Totem with Flat Spell / Melee Lightning Damage
Fixed a bug where Swipe's "Avatar of Stone" doesn't buff Tempest Strike Totem, Warcry Totem & Upheaval Totem with Flat Melee / Spell Damage
Fixed a bug where Storm Totem's "Fulgrite Core" wasn't providing Flat Spell Lightning damage based on character Shock Chance
Fixed a bug where Tempest Strike's "Heorot Arsenal" node was not providing stats to the Cold Projectile that Tempest Totem shoots when each Tempest has been removed in the skill tree.
Fixed a bug where Tempest Strike Totem, Warcry Totem, and Upheaval Totem were not benefiting from Spell Lightning Damage for Existing Totems (such as the Omen of Thunder Unique Item)
Fixed a bug where directly transitioning from channeling Warpath to channeling Rebuke while at negative mana would not start mana regeneration.
Fixed a bug where Fury Leap would play the landing animation in mid-air on long-range casts of Fury Leap
Fixed a bug where the Acolyte's Wraith's weapons would drift during animation transitions
Fixed a bug where Mirage hits on Puncture would not grant stacks of Bleeding Fury
Fixed an issue with Acid Flask's "Alchemist Gift" throwing animation where the trap would spin in place then teleport to its destination
Fixed a bug where Acid Flask's "Alchemist Gift" node did not have a throwing sound
Fixed a bug where Healing Hands would not get a Fire tag when taking the Searing Light, or Skyfall Nodes
Fixed a bug where the Spell Tag would be removed from Healing Hands with Seraph Blade when you also took Skyfall
Fixed a bug where Ballista's "Armed Construction" node was giving 1% increased radius per dexterity instead of its listed 1% increased area per dexterity

Visuals

Fixed a bug with the sword in the Fallen Ronin set was deforming in a weird way on the Primalist
Fixed Terrain and floating vegetation in several scenes

UI

Fixed a bug where some Game Guide pages couldn't be linked in chat
Several Localization updates

Enemies

Fixed bug where Void Despair would spawn in place for a brief second before starting its emerging animation
Fixed a bug where the Idol (big worm) could become stuck after knocking guards off their platform in Last Refuge Outskirts

Controller

Fixed a bug where advancing dialog with a controller would skip pages if there were multiple.
Fixed a bug where menu options could still be selected with a controller while they are invisible/inactive on the Death Screen. This was resulting in potentially closing the respawn menu preventing you from being able to respawn.

Other

Fixed a bug where your stats could become out of sync with the server. This could result in issues such as the client believing you had less movement speed than you did.
Fixed a bug where Prophecies could be re-rolled on login in multiplayer
Fixed a bug where you could not return to character select while in-game on an offline character
Fixed a bug where Vsync was not applying during Splash Screens (this appears before the login screen)
Fixed a bug with pickup range reliability in Multiplayer
Fixed some instances of Gates blocking paths in the Preserved Sanctuary Echo map
Fixed a bug which caused the game to freeze after switching inputs on the Skills panel

Known Issues

When exiting a transform such as Werebear Form, your stat sheet may display your mana regeneration incorrectly. This is only a display issue.
Gambler’s Fallacy and Soul Gambler’s Fallacy state they do not work with channeling skills
This was wording only and functionality has remained unchanged.
This is a change we are intending for 1.1, and the description change got through early. To be transparent, this is a change we are intending, though we are planning to go over Disintegrate at the same time providing it with buffs to compensate and stand better on its own instead of relying on this singular item interaction.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 1679733530
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I'd be interested in the number of players who quit playing after getting noob-walled by Lagon?

I've heard people tell me they couldn't beat campaign Lagon with 1100-1200 HP. People think they can just stand there and get hosed down like a nigger by Bull Connor. Even a nigger knows enough to run for the stairs, which speaks volumes about the IQ levels of the people gated by Lagon.

Imagine getting walled this hard!
Last edited by somerandomdude on March 27th, 2024, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

somerandomdude wrote: March 27th, 2024, 19:13
I'd be interested in the number of players who quit playing after getting noob-walled by Lagon?

I've heard people tell me they couldn't beat campaign Lagon with 1100-1200 HP. People think they can just stand there and get hosed down like a nigger by Bull Connor. Even a nigger knows enough to run for the stairs, which speaks volumes about the IQ levels of the people gated by Lagon.

Lagon is the easiest boss in the game, he has pretty slow attack patterns you can easily avoid.
The issue with him is that he is a sudden difficulty spike (which makes sense considering he is a god) compared to everything that came before and when you meet him in your mid 40s many builds still struggle with resists and/or damage.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

somerandomdude wrote: March 27th, 2024, 19:13

I died to him one time but then just focused on dodging and let my minions kill him.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Decline wrote: March 27th, 2024, 21:04
Lagon is the easiest boss in the game, he has pretty slow attack patterns you can easily avoid.
The issue with him is that he is a sudden difficulty spike (which makes sense considering he is a god) compared to everything that came before and when you meet him in your mid 40s many builds still struggle with resists and/or damage.
Resists are super easy to get in this game, and you don't have to worry about stacking them to overcome a deficit like in many ARPGs. Even in the mid-40s you can find pieces with a generous amount in a single resist. It could be reasonably deduced that Lagon would use mostly cold/lightning element, and that it's probably a good idea to max those. You can survive all his attacks except for the water spray with 500-600hp, which is attainable even on a glass cannon build. Those waves in phase 2 only do a couple hundred, tops if you max cold res. Any class that can stack ward, or leech HP could basically face tank everything except for 1 attack. Most classes have solid mobility skill options in the mid-40s as well, and players who choose to not use them are choosing poorly in a game where choices matter.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Nooneatall wrote: March 27th, 2024, 21:28
I died to him one time but then just focused on dodging and let my minions kill him.
The first time I fought him was in beta with a Beastmaster. He got me once too because I made the mistake of not respecting the boss the same as many others, but that's a mistake you shouldn't make twice.
Decline

Post by Decline »

somerandomdude wrote: March 27th, 2024, 21:32
Resists are super easy to get in this game, and you don't have to worry about stacking them to overcome a deficit like in many ARPGs. Even in the mid-40s you can find pieces with a generous amount in a single resist. It could be reasonably deduced that Lagon would use mostly cold/lightning element, and that it's probably a good idea to max those. You can survive all his attacks except for the water spray with 500-600hp, which is attainable even on a glass cannon build. Those waves in phase 2 only do a couple hundred, tops if you max cold res. Any class that can stack ward, or leech HP could basically face tank everything except for 1 attack. Most classes have solid mobility skill options in the mid-40s as well, and players who choose to not use them are choosing poorly in a game where choices matter.
Obviously but the complainooors just want to grill win.
Decline

Post by Decline »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 27th, 2024, 21:11
did they add usable controls yet
I am playing this on steam deck exclusively. It is playable but the controls are far from perfect.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

These 2 unique armors are amazing pieces for leveling, ward is a pretty tremendous survivability boost, even if it doesn't seem like it at first. Int based builds benefit more from it, obviously, but you can stack ward on builds that would otherwise be total glass cannons and afford them some workable survivability.

Decline

Post by Decline »

Hello Travelers,

In today’s Patch, we are fixing a list of things for you!
Changes

Improvements have been made to Monolith visuals and performance along with several bug fixes
Fixed a bug where some channeled movement skills such as Rampage could end abruptly in the Alpine Halls monolith echo
Fixed issues with trees obscuring your view in the Hidden Oasis monolith echo

Added a fix that will warn players when files must be verified.

Fixed Loot filter toggle “X” sensitivity

Fixed bugs where the following skills’ damage areas were not scaling with area modifiers from their trees or from items
Abyssal Echoes
Dancing Strikes (not all parts of the combo were affected by this bug)
Erasing Strike (just the initial hit, not the void rifts)
Forge Strike
Healing Hands
Necrotic Mortar (from Summoned Skeletal Mages)
Reap (from Reaper Form)

Fixed Passive and Skill Tree localization issues

Updated visuals for Announcement banners

Updated Unique Reward icon in Monoliths from Ring to a generic icon

Added missing name to Graveyard

Bug Fixes
Skills & Passives

Fixed a bug where the player’s Falcon could fail to be unsummoned after the player has died
Fixed a bug where Warpath would cause players to become stuck in place and unable to move
Fixed a bug where Drain Life with Blood Pact and Ghostflame with Arteries of Malice would stop channeling when at very low current health
Fixed a bug where Healing Hands was still scaling with cast speed instead of melee attack speed when Seraph Blade was allocated
Fixed a bug where Gathering Storm was still scaling with melee attack speed instead of cast speed when wielding a staff and Lagonian Diplomacy was allocated
Fixed a bug where Thunder Tempests from Tempest Strike’s Cloudburst Conduit could not hit enemies
Fixed a bug where Added Spell Damage Affix with Tempest Strike did not work
The grace period for your minions now ends when your own grace period ends
Fixed a bug where attempts to cast minion-targeted abilities like Dread Shade on minions that were in grace period would always fail
Fixed a bug where stationary minions would never leave grace period, resulting in them never attacking

UI

Fixed a bug where items sold in Online mode were displaying original price in the “Buy Back” tab
Fixed a bug preventing Defensive Conversions from displaying in the character sheet online

Other

Fixed a bug where Soul Embers would persist after the dungeon was completed
Fixed a bug causing Void Despair to be invisible
Fixed an error when leaving Offline mode
Fixed a bug where, players spawning into a new location would reveal part of the map too soon.
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/last-epoc ... es/69977/1
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Decline wrote: March 27th, 2024, 22:19
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 27th, 2024, 21:11
did they add usable controls yet
I am playing this on steam deck exclusively. It is playable but the controls are far from perfect.
so they're still seething over wasd I take it?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

fyi this game has no cheat protection
don't really see the point of playing an online game with mass cheating
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 28th, 2024, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I haven't played online, because I'm playing the repack version of the game. I wouldn't touch online with a 10ft pole, regardless.

According to feedback I've read about the game, people have been banned for cheating, so it appears that they have some sort of method to detect cheat injections when online. How robust it is would be anyone's best guess.

That's different than people getting banned for RMTing. Based on reading player feedback, it appears prices are hyper inflated to utterly ridiculous levels, people putting up items for 99 billion gold (or whatever the cap is for trading), and people are actually RMTing gold to buy this shit, and some of them are getting busted and banned for it. I'd wager they got code in place to flag players who trade for certain amounts of gold at once.
Decline

Post by Decline »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 28th, 2024, 22:27
don't really see the point of playing an online game with mass cheating
ARPGs are played non-competitively with bros, don't really see how cheating in these games even could affect you unless you like to trade.