Official HQ review of El Matador is live, check it out: viewtopic.php?p=103777-el-matador
We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

General anime/Japan/weebshit thread

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

GhostCow wrote: May 10th, 2024, 23:37
I just heard ano do a death metal scream and it was awesome. Here's a clip

Full song is here
I am haunted by this visage
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

New Full Metal Panic chapter is out. Mao and Kurz have aged well. Now we just await Tessa's return.

New trailer for fanmade Berserk anime, looking better than that official 3D CGI crap. Hope it doesn't get slapped with a cease & desist.

BobT

Post by BobT »

lol they always do that arm fwip when readying for battle.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 10th, 2024, 19:22

I thought SEED was the worst version of Gundam, or am I wrong?. I watched it a long time ago but remember very little.

That would be AGE, but SEED is a close second. Gundam is still a solid mecha show and the MS look great but the plot and writing is pretty terrible. For SEED specifically, the wife of the director wanted to bring her expertise as a drama writer for teenage girls and that's why SEED has so much teen drama. Then there's the allegations of self-inserts and such.

AGE had a great idea about a generational show but the execution is terrible.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Just to be clear - that guy is not a troll (I don't think). Or if he is, he's very dedicated - he's been making that kind of content for over 9 years.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

gerey wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 05:38
Oyster Sauce wrote: April 1st, 2024, 02:02
OnTilt wrote: March 26th, 2024, 04:31
This talk is making me want to watch an anime now. I'm looking for something serious that tells a mature story. I may just rewatch Monster, I don't think I ever finished it the first time. Suggestions would be nice if anyone knows of a good one.
Golden Kamuy if you can put up with the occasional bara gag

There's also Gunka no Baltzar, which takes place a little bit earlier in the 19th century. Golden Kamuy is basically a Japanese Western, while Gunka no Baltzar is more focused on the military side of things and is not nearly as well written.

Before I commit to this because the image and protagonist look cool is there any stupid gook bullshit that I should made aware of first?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Acrux wrote: May 27th, 2024, 21:42
don't use the word weeb tweet
Oh, I forgot to note: he pronounces 御宅 otaku incorrectly. He says oたく taku, starting high and descending on the second mora, but it should be おたく otaku ̄, starting at a middle pitch, rising slightly on the second mora, and then roughly maintaing that pitch to the end.
Last edited by WhiteShark on May 28th, 2024, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Having no clue how to use jap words is part of the weeb experience.
GhostCow
Turtle
Turtle

Post by GhostCow »

Everyone remembers toonami, but no one remembers the Sci-Fi channel's Saturday anime block that was airing anime in the mid 90s. This is what actually got me into anime. I've pretty sure the first anime I ever watched was Project A-ko during this block.
Last edited by GhostCow on May 29th, 2024, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

GhostCow wrote: May 29th, 2024, 01:27
but no one remembers the Sci-Fi channel's Saturday anime block that was airing anime in the mid 90s.
I do. It's literally the only anime I've ever watched.
machnizedTerror

Post by machnizedTerror »

:scratch: what did the second guy mean?
Last edited by machnizedTerror on May 29th, 2024, 09:40, edited 2 times in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

GhostCow wrote: May 29th, 2024, 01:27
Everyone remembers toonami, but no one remembers the Sci-Fi channel's Saturday anime block that was airing anime in the mid 90s. This is what actually got me into anime. I've pretty sure the first anime I ever watched was Project A-ko during this block.
I'm not 42 years old.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Oyster Sauce wrote: June 4th, 2024, 10:38

Infinite GITS adaptions
I think out of all the animated GITS media to be released, only the PS1 game's cutscenes managed to capture the look of the original manga. If this new adaptation accomplishes that, then it has a reason to exist.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I remember buying GitS from the bookstore, excited since it was the first manga I bought. I was disappointed to find that most of the pages were taken up not by art, but by speech bubbles. The author should have just written a text novel and drew illustrations to accompany it.

A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: June 4th, 2024, 22:10
I remember buying GitS from the bookstore, excited since it was the first manga I bought. I was disappointed to find that most of the pages were taken up not by art, but by speech bubbles. The author should have just written a text novel and drew illustrations to accompany it.

He manages the space on his panels well, nothing particularly important is taken up by text and the art does add to the story so I think its fine.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: June 4th, 2024, 22:10

Pretty shoddy work. They even flipped the artwork.

WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

NicheGamer wrote:
Prosecutors drop charges against man who assaulted co-worker over Oshi no Ko spoilers
by Brandon Lyttle on June 5, 2024 at 8:49 AM, EDT

The prosecutor’s office in Kyoto has decided not to pursue charges against the man who assaulted his co-worker who had spoiled plot developments in Oshi no Ko.

According to the Kyoto Shimbun, the charges were dropped without any further explanation. The accused man allegedly grabbed his co-worker by the collar and kicked him.

As previously reported, the man had been charged following the assault. Both the the 50 year old suspect and victim work for the Kyoto District Legal Affairs Bureau.

The series is written by Aka Akasaka, who’s also known as the creator of Kaguya-sama Love is war.

The series received an anime adaptation, with a new animated movie premiering this year in Japan.
Justice is served. Death to spoilerers.
BobT

Post by BobT »

WhiteShark wrote: June 5th, 2024, 14:56
Justice is served. Death to spoilerers.
Last edited by BobT on June 5th, 2024, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Called Negaduck. Is evil. What did Disney mean by this?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Is there an anime series with zero women?