We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

General anime/Japan/weebshit thread

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

"hm, every season has been complete dogshit lately, let's see what's coming out in the summer"

Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 19th, 2024, 13:10
"hm, every season has been complete dogshit lately, let's see what's coming out in the summer"

Yeah I'm out

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Fundamentally, I agree with him.
Westerners will laugh at him, but the core of his message is right: The power of media to influence people, especially children, is not something we give much thought to at all or regard such people as 'fundamentalists', etc.,
Of course, the same people will tell you the importance of having 'representation' and such in media because children need rolemodels or somesuch. Or that media portrayal of women is 'harmful'. So obviously they also agree with Zad! They just refuse to admit it in a direct manner. Because, unlike Zad, they are fundamentally evil and therefore deceptive.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 19th, 2024, 13:25, edited 3 times in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 19th, 2024, 13:15
Oyster Sauce wrote: April 19th, 2024, 13:10

Yeah I'm out

"Support Japanese artists"
the shit yall niggas make:
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Just finished rewatching Record of Lodoss War OVA with a friend who hadn't seen it before:

I can't rate it all that highly, objectively, but I appreciate its significance to nerd culture. Very flawed but very pretty. Parn is lame but Deedlit is a treasure.
► Deedlit
Before that, watched Oshi no Ko with the same friend:

I went in totally blind. It's more serious than I initially expected. Can't really talk about it without spoilers, but I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to S2. I hate the first 15 seconds of the OP but I like the rest of it. @GhostCow ruined the ED for me by linking me the actual music video a while back. Don't watch it.

Finally, I'm a few episodes into 08th MS Team thanks to @gerey's recommendation. Started a few weeks ago but got sidetracked by the above because of my friend. Sorry gerey! It's the only Gundam anything I've ever watched, but the setting seems cool and I like the protagonist. I feel like a protagonist who is a commanding officer but also not a power fantasy is a rare combination.
Last edited by WhiteShark on April 20th, 2024, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Kowe

Post by Kowe »

WhiteShark wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:00
Just finished rewatching Record of Lodoss War with a friend who hadn't seen it before:

I can't rate it all that highly, objectively, but I appreciate its significance to nerd culture. Very flawed but very pretty. Parn is lame but Deedlit is a treasure.
► Deedlit
Before that, watched Oshi no Ko with the same friend:

I went in totally blind. It's more serious than I initially expected. Can't really talk about it without spoilers, but I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to S2. I hate the first 15 seconds of the OP but I like the rest of it. @GhostCow ruined the ED for me by linking me the actual music video a while back. Don't watch it.

Finally, I'm a few episodes into 08th MS Team thanks to @gerey's recommendation. Started a few weeks ago but got sidetracked by the above because of my friend. Sorry gerey! It's the only Gundam anything I've ever watched, but the setting seems cool and I like the protagonist. I feel like a protagonist who is a commanding officer but also not a power fantasy is a rare combination.
Heh, I own the original Record of Lodoss War on disc. Watched it a few months ago and it is has some very good elements, but is way too rushed as it is an OVA. They can do so much more with the setting given the
story foundation with the Goddesses. Even skip time to newer protagonists with cameos of the old ones. Also props to the authors for the death of the dwarf, not many use it like this as in killing off a protagonist. And the other few twists.
There has also been another season but with a different main character while giving the original ones cameos. Can't remember the name and haven't found much about any physical release(s). They may have a DVD release but have to look that up again to verify.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I've seen both, and tried watching the one where the Black Knight and Dark Elf sail over world's edge, looking for a new homeland, but that was bad.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Kowe wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:33
There has also been another season but with a different main character while giving the original ones cameos. Can't remember the name and haven't found much about any physical release(s).
ロードス島戦記 英雄騎士伝 Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight

No idea about a physical release, but I have it downloaded. My friend and I decided to take a break from Lodoss to watch something else but it's next on the list after that. Apparently the first part of the TV series is a summary of the original story with corrections to follow the original campaign more faithfully, and after that it follows the next generation. It's not well rated online so I don't expect it to be great, but half the fun is watching it in JP with my friend, anyway.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

WhiteShark wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:00
but I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to S2
Yes, Oshi no Ko manages to avoid being cringe despite the subject matter, though It does feel a tad preachy at times. Without spoiling anything, I wonder if the anime is popular enough to get enough seasons to animate that scene.

If you're on the lookout for more stuff, then I can recommend Bocchi the Rock - it takes the usual "cute girls doing cute things and music" and avoids the usual pitfalls, both thanks to the source material (Bocchi is a wreck of a person that tries and manages to improve) and the sheer passion the anime team put into making the show. Pity we're unlikely to get another season.

Girls' Last Tour, both the anime and manga, are great mellow slice-of-life, about two girls navigating a world were humanity is doomed to extinction. Also, it features a Kettenkraftrad, which is always a delight to see.
Last edited by gerey on April 20th, 2024, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

WhiteShark wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:40
Kowe wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:33
There has also been another season but with a different main character while giving the original ones cameos. Can't remember the name and haven't found much about any physical release(s).
ロードス島戦記 英雄騎士伝 Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight

No idea about a physical release, but I have it downloaded. My friend and I decided to take a break from Lodoss to watch something else but it's next on the list after that. Apparently the first part of the TV series is a summary of the original story with corrections to follow the original campaign more faithfully, and after that it follows the next generation. It's not well rated online so I don't expect it to be great, but half the fun is watching it in JP with my friend, anyway.
I liked the story of Chronicles, but the animation of the first iteration. Chronicles fleshes out the Black Knight a bit.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 13:23
Fundamentally, I agree with him.
Westerners will laugh at him, but the core of his message is right: The power of media to influence people, especially children, is not something we give much thought to at all or regard such people as 'fundamentalists', etc.,
Of course, the same people will tell you the importance of having 'representation' and such in media because children need rolemodels or somesuch. Or that media portrayal of women is 'harmful'. So obviously they also agree with Zad! They just refuse to admit it in a direct manner. Because, unlike Zad, they are fundamentally evil and therefore deceptive.
the best way to teach kids Christian values is to have them watch shonen anime.

timestamped to the relevant sequence. footage is from a video game but all shonen is the same:
Last edited by aweigh on April 22nd, 2024, 14:11, edited 4 times in total.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

I thought I'd briefly come here to defend @GhostCow's high rating of Wonder Egg Project. It started out very strong and kept building on its foundation in creative ways. If it hadn't dropped the ball so hard at the end it might be a show we recommend ten years in the future. Unfortunately I do think this is a rare example of a show retroactively becoming worse just because of its ending.

Note: I didn't watch the last episode. The second to last one already lost so much goodwill from me that it made me change my mind about the show that I had quite liked until its final quarter.
Last edited by Cedric on April 23rd, 2024, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Just finished Boku Mushi. It's how I suspect tranny serial killers/child rapists see the world. Very strange.

Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

aweigh wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 14:04
the best way to teach kids Christian values is to have them watch shonen anime.
Not really, outside of Noragami, shounen aren't Christian at all.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Glad Guts & co. have finally got off the boat and into fucking India