We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Tipping Culture - Discussion and Entitled Zoomie Memes

Something not gaming related? Discuss it here!
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Ok so let's forget about this twilight zone episode and discuss this:

Would YOU tip your favorite developer, goy?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Imagine giving extra money to brown people for no reason when you don't even own a house or a PS5
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 17th, 2024, 20:08
Burgers will defend this:

"noooo you gotta subsidize the low-skilled worker's salary because Mr. Shekelstein refuses to pay him a livable wage!"

"noooo you gotta pay me more for delivering a more expensive burger even though the effort is the same as serving a cheaper burger!!!"

"YOU better tip the machine, goy, it has feelings too!"

And coming soon to your favorite hobby:

Are Europeans in the wrong here? should tipping be mandatory and thus defeating the point of a tip? would Americans think otherwise of tipping culture if they didn't have to tip their foreskins after being born? Any unpatriotic Americans here refusing to tip Davonkus Jackson for bringing tendies to their homes?

:ahem:

viewtopic.php?t=290-tipping-culture-dis ... it=tipping
Element

Post by Element »

ps: i dont have an opinion on tipping
Last edited by Element on April 17th, 2024, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 17th, 2024, 20:08
Burgers will defend this:

"noooo you gotta subsidize the low-skilled worker's salary because Mr. Shekelstein refuses to pay him a livable wage!"

"noooo you gotta pay me more for delivering a more expensive burger even though the effort is the same as serving a cheaper burger!!!"

"YOU better tip the machine, goy, it has feelings too!"

And coming soon to your favorite hobby:

Are Europeans in the wrong here? should tipping be mandatory and thus defeating the point of a tip? would Americans think otherwise of tipping culture if they didn't have to tip their foreskins after being born? Any unpatriotic Americans here refusing to tip Davonkus Jackson for bringing tendies to their homes?
Tips used to be the thing you rewarded the guy who went above and beyond (merit based society), now it is somehow an expected practice for simply doing what you are paid to and half the time, they can't even meet minimum requirements (seems like the one that whine the most are the most horrible at their job).

On the flip side, it doesn't help when the government forced taxes on their tips and many states pushed their noses into the system causing certain types of jobs to get paid less hourly because some low life cook, dishwasher, etc... whined about not getting a share of the tips as well.

All of this crap comes from the whiners, the same ones now whining about games not having enough representation. They screw everything up.

That said, I don't eat out much, worked in my youth in many types of food and service jobs, seen far too much nasty crap be done to peoples food to eat it myself anymore. Best made from my own hands so I know what is in it.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

My friend's ex who was a waitress once told me that if she didn't make enough tips her wages would be garnished in some fashion. She was pretty insistent that this was true despite how retarded it sounds. Anyone have experience with such a thing?
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Element wrote: April 17th, 2024, 21:06

I hated those useless types.. my conversations while working with them went like this:

Them: I am not paid enough, I deserve more wage, they treat me like crap... blah.. blah...

Me: Why not look for another job in something more tolerable?

Them: There are no jobs, I can't find anything, blah blah blah..

Me: This is my last week here.

Them: What happened? Why are you leaving?

Me: Work sucks here, found a better job.

Run into them later:

Me: Still working here? How are things?

Them: I am not paid enough, I deserve more wage, they treat me like crap... blah.. blah...
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 17th, 2024, 22:10
My friend's ex who was a waitress once told me that if she didn't make enough tips her wages would be garnished in some fashion. She was pretty insistent that this was true despite how retarded it sounds. Anyone have experience with such a thing?
Never heard of that, though I have heard of some places implementing a lower wage standard based on the average of tips that they were expected to get and this was government sanctioned.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

If your income depends on tips you're fucking retarded and need to be removed from the gene pool. Sorry.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

You can downvote me all you want, @Kalarion. I'm right tho.
Last edited by madbringer on April 17th, 2024, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

madbringer wrote: April 17th, 2024, 23:08
If your income depends on tips you're fucking retarded and need to be removed from the gene pool. Sorry.
I don't know. Seen some bartenders in really pricey areas make ridiculous money (ie 1k a night in tips and that was many many years ago). Guy even gave up a professional career to do it because the money was so good.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Xenich wrote: April 17th, 2024, 23:17
madbringer wrote: April 17th, 2024, 23:08
I don't know. Seen some bartenders in really pricey areas make ridiculous money (ie 1k a night in tips and that was many many years ago). Guy even gave up a professional career to do it because the money was so good.
Perhaps I worded it wrong. Let me try again. If your income depends on strangers randomly being merciful to you. I mean, you might as well be a beggar.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 17th, 2024, 20:23
Would YOU tip your favorite developer, goy?
Any money given to a developer is a tip since you're not actually buying anything.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

Xenich wrote: April 17th, 2024, 22:12
Element wrote: April 17th, 2024, 21:06

I hated those useless types.. my conversations while working with them went like this:

Me: Why not look for another job in something more tolerable?

Them: There are no jobs, I can't find anything, blah blah blah..

Me: This is my last week here.

Them: What happened? Why are you leaving?

Me: Work sucks here, found a better job.

Run into them later:

Me: Still working here? How are things?

Exactly. I waited tables in my youth because you have to start somewhere. It was crap so I stayed only as long as needed and moved on to a better job that wasn't in the service industry or food industry as soon as I could.

But, wokesters will claim it was only because I am white. My race decided to allow me to make a choice for myself and get a better job instead of staying in a shitty job.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Tipping is an attack on me as an autistic person because it expects me to perform a specific social ritual in the middle of a crowded building while others are waiting upon me. It's extremely ableist.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

you should tip me for posting here
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

I only tip barbers, delivery drivers, valets, and bartenders and waiters, both of which depend on service rendered. Zero for everyone else.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 17th, 2024, 22:10
It sounds like she either worked for a psychopath or didn't understand how something worked and said something stupid.
Given my experiences with the average woman and stupid people in general, I'd wager the latter.
Usually, if you get the correct details and analyze it yourself, you'll find she completely misunderstood the premise.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Nemesis wrote: April 18th, 2024, 02:35
I only tip barbers, delivery drivers, valets, and bartenders and waiters, both of which depend on service rendered. Zero for everyone else.
But their job is to render that service. It's literally the point.
It's like tipping your garbagemen for emptying your bins.
You shouldn't have to pay extra to have the job done well.
People who don't do the job well should be terminated.
Note that I don't think people should not be paid better.
Clearly there is something wrong with the current pay structure for such jobs in America.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Tipping was always just you, in an act of generosity, willing to pay some extra cash to somebody who's done a superb service for you.

As usual with anything involving money, this notion has been corrupted by greed.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Anon wrote: April 18th, 2024, 02:50
Tipping was always just you, in an act of generosity, willing to pay some extra cash to somebody who's done a superb service for you.

As usual with anything involving money, this notion has been corrupted by greed.
Yes. Initially by the restaurant owners (among others) in the Great Depression not paying their service staff, then the economy going off the cliff in the 2000s and people working low paying jobs (or just customer-facing jobs, to be honest) wanting the customer to pay them more money directly.
Both motivated by selfish greed.
Last edited by Rand on April 18th, 2024, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Why do Europeans always wanna talk about this when it doesn't effect them and they can't understand it due to cultural differences?
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

I only tip when I feel like it.

Either I felt I was treated so well or the services rendered where of such a high caliber, then I give the person that helped me something extra.

But by default? Hell no.

If I am mistreated just because I don'f feel like tipping or worse, if there's any implication that I must tip, then I will walk away and never spend my money in that business again.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

I tip my delivery drivers well, and I always get my orders correct and fast. I only order from places that pay a full wage to company drivers. The "gig" drivers are a menace and I'm glad it's slowly imploding.