We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

This was considered heavy-handed propaganda in 1988

Something not gaming related? Discuss it here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This was considered heavy-handed propaganda in 1988

Post by rusty_shackleford »

A while back I tried to rewatch the first season of Star Trek: TNG, and one episode felt a bit more preachy than the others: When the Bough Breaks.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Wh ... _(episode)

It's about the ozone, and as anyone who grew up in that era knew, we are all about to die because of the ozone. Anyone who is used to modern media wouldn't even be able to recognize it because they've been boiling in it for so long.
Michelle Erica Green in her review for TrekNation, described "When the Bough Breaks" as "tedious, plodding and didactic" with a "preposterous" ending. She thought that the plot element of ozone damage was not optimal and that the quality of the episode was typical of the first season.
Note that this is a 2007 review of the 1988 episode! It was considered heavy-handed even by 2007 standards. I couldn't find any contemporary reviews, but if anyone has some I'd like to read them.

I don't think it was particularly good and therefore worth watching for any reason other than to realize how ridiculous media is now and it's not you that's going insane. The idea that media has always been like this is something lifted straight from 1984 — we've always been at war with the ozone, and VTMB was full of fat gay nigger worship with ugly women.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

>it's a weasly episode
That annoying fag should've been spaced in the first episode. Maybe then Whill Wheaton wouldn't have grown up to be such an insufferable cunt.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

The best TNG episode is the lizard rape episode, you cannot deny this. How good is it? They made toys to promote it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tweed wrote: April 17th, 2024, 09:40
The best TNG episode is the lizard rape episode, you cannot deny this. How good is it? They made toys to promote it.
That's in voyager.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 17th, 2024, 09:42
Tweed wrote: April 17th, 2024, 09:40
That's in voyager.
Oh yeah, you're right. I guess TNG has no redeemable value whatsoever.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tweed wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:08
Oh yeah, you're right. I guess TNG has no redeemable value whatsoever.
Never been fond of it, always found it far weaker than the others. I assume Picard appeals to some sort of proto-redditor-libtard complex where he defeats every situation using INTELLIGENCE.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 17th, 2024, 08:37
and VTMB was full of fat gay nigger worship with ugly women
Larry is fat and a nigger, but not gay. He fucks that mudshark whore that runs the nightclub Confession.

Most of the women were actually very attractive in Bloodlines, even though their personalities leave a lot to be desired. Then again, most are either prostitutes or bloodsuckers.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Confronting Velvet as a malk was a fine bit of writing, to me.
Anon

Post by Anon »

gerey wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:23
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 17th, 2024, 08:37
and VTMB was full of fat gay nigger worship with ugly women
Larry is fat and a nigger, but not gay. He fucks that mudshark whore that runs the nightclub Confession.

Most of the women were actually very attractive in Bloodlines, even though their personalities leave a lot to be desired. Then again, most are either prostitutes or bloodsuckers.
Their personalities seem pretty relatable to what women vampires would be imo.

But yes the 90s and 2000s were already the start of the fall. But at least the wokies were capable of delivering quality products so people didn't care much. The wokies would have won with minimal opposition if they kept the quality, in the end people always just wanted to play games.