Speculative R&D: Game Controllers

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
aweigh

Post by aweigh »

PEAK is coming... loved my apex 3, can't wait for the new model.

Last edited by aweigh on January 19th, 2024, 05:32, edited 2 times in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I like the PS4 controller I don't think I'll ever switch from that tbh. The PS5 controller is ugly as fuck.
Rand

Post by Rand »

I loathe the asymmetrical XBOX controller layout.
aweigh

Post by aweigh »

damn this purple looks so nice. new 8bitdo colorway just dropped

aweigh

Post by aweigh »

new PB Tails "Crush" controller just dropped. the more i look at it the more i like the aesthetic behind it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pb ... to-victory

video review:

media images:
Last edited by aweigh on January 19th, 2024, 16:49, edited 3 times in total.
aweigh

Post by aweigh »

Recently bought the Sony DualSense EDGE "pro" controller and i am really, really liking it. I hate to give Sony props but this thing is really well made, and is packed with features. It might possibly be the best controller i've ever used, definitely top 3. This thing feels really good in the hand, extremely well-made, very solid. They also subtly changed the grip handle contours so it's ever-so-slightly more comfortable and ergonomic than the regular DualSense.

At a glance the Edge has: the trackpad, the 6-axis gyro, advanced haptic feedback and force feedback triggers (they require the game to have those programmed in beforehand), swappable/modular analog sticks plus the regular features that any other controller has.

You *can* do some fun things with the force feedback triggers using PC software, specifically DS4Windows and DSX, but so far i've found that it's best used for something like racing or flight simming. To clarify; i'm referring here to user-made force feedback trigger effects, stuff that you set yourself in the software like have the trigger act like a machine gun, have the trigger act like a race car throttle, have the trigger harden by 25% every 4 intervals, etc.

The games which have their own pre-programmed trigger force feedback profiles do their own thing, and obviously you don't need to set anything yourself. To be quite frank tho... it's cool and all but other than for racing (throttle/clutch profiles) i don't really see much point to setting anything up yourself. In ratchet and clank there's some interesting usage where if you press the trigger down lightly it activates the basic fire mode for your weapon, and if you press the trigger further down it activates the advanced fire mode.

...but I mainly just keep the trigger stops engaged which automatically disables the trigger force feedback. When you engage the trigger stops it disables the trigger force feedback and instead shortens the trigger travel distance by about 75%, so you only need to push the trigger down 25% to hit the stop and activate the trigger input. I basically just keep the trigger stops always engaged.

Anyway, you can also set the controller touchpad to function as a regular trackpad and control the mouse pointer. This could possibly have some uses in some older Windows games or some other more niche use cases. Not really feasible to use it a full-on trackpad for CRPG gaming however because of the position it's in; it's positioned in the center of the controller, whereas the Steam controller/Steam deck trackpads are positioned right where your thumbs would normally rest at.

You can do touch gestures though which have more immediate practical uses, for example swipe up to open the Start Menu, swipe down to minimize the current program/game, etc. Can have more uses with emulator usage, specifically Nintendo crap like NDS/3DS.

The controller also has 6-axis gyro which you can also configure as a 'mouse pointer' as well, if you want. I don't personally use gyro much but i know it has a lot of practical uses, arguably more practical use cases than the touchpad. On PC you can use software like the ones i mentioned to fully configure and fine-tune the gyro and use it for however you want, though the most common use case is making Left Trigger activate the gyro for when you aim down sights then when you release LT the gyro will automatically disable.

Now the real star of the show for meare the analog sticks. Yeah you can swap 'em out but what I'm talking about here more is about the QUALITY of the analog stick modules. Whatever modules Sony is sourcing for their Edge controller are some of the BEST in quality I've ever used. They're completely frictionless and have excellent spring tension, they feel like an absolute joy to use and move the stick around, and the anti-friction rings are buttery smooth. Absolutely ZERO complaints about the analog sticks, they feel fucking fantastic in usage, a very premium-feeling experience. They're easily the "smoothest" feeling analog sticks I've ever used, period.

Lastly I'll also mention the regular rumble / "haptic feedback". This is separate from the force feedback capability of the triggers. I don't really know all the details but i'll just say the rumble feels of much higher quality than what's in other controllers, and you can tell distinct rumble 'stages'; you can easily feel softer vibrations as well as stronger ones, a much more nuanced vibration than what i'm used to getting from other controllers. Of course, like the trigger force feedback, this is more gimmick than anything else, and i know a lot of people just turn rumble off altogether if only to save battery life. But still worth mentioning it as it is a feature.

Oh, almost forgot, they also apparently worked on the d-pad as well, it feels much better than the d-pad on the regular DualSense. It's still the exact same d-pad but they definitely did *something* to it, it feels tighter on the Edge and it does not feel mushy like it does on the regular DualSense. Same with the start and select buttons; also feel springier/tighter (in a good way). The 4 face buttons feel identical to the regular DualSense, no change there. One thing I grew to appreciate about the DualSense/Edge face buttons is how quiet they are, no tacky-sounding loud clacking from pressing them.

Also the controller has a built-in microphone as well as have a built-in MUTE button. The mic is actually always on by default so you have to press the mute button to mute it. However, on PC the microphone doesn't work wirelessly, only when connected via the USB cable, which is unfortunate.

EDIT: Realized I didn't even talk about the 2 back paddles or the 2 FN buttons. I'm tired of typing so real quick, you get 2 extra back inputs which you can use with either a paddle or a half-dome button attachment (you'll understand better if you watch the video i linked below or look up any media images of the controller), and you also get 2 FN buttons located right below each analog stick. On PC you can program the FN buttons to whatever you want, basically 2 extra inputs.

All in all the controller has the following input possibilites: d-pad, analog sticks, l1/r1, left and right triggers, 4 face buttons, start, select, touchpad which includes the 4 zones of the touchpad where each can act as a unique input plus clicking in the touchpad itself for one more input, 2 back buttons, 2 FN buttons.

Grand total of 25 possible inputs, the most out of any controller on the market. This is mostly of interest for the peeps who use these for flight simming or for other very niche use cases.

EDIT 2: also it comes with extra analog sticks of different heights and a convex (domed) tip. 2 tall domed sticks and 2 medium-height dome sticks, plus the 2 'regular' hybrid sticks that every DualSense comes with by default.

Here's a random video talking about the Edge just to end the post with some media footage, I'll link whichever one appears on the top of the YT search for "dualsense edge" nah here's vCuda's review of the Edge instead, it's funnier:
Last edited by aweigh on January 25th, 2024, 01:15, edited 8 times in total.
aweigh

Post by aweigh »

Still enjoying the DualSense Edge. Only con is the short battery life, battery only lasts around 5-7 hours depending on whether you use rumble or not.

Feels weird not being after another controller, been a while since I've just felt satisfied and focused on using just one controller to game without thinking of buying another one.

I do still plan on eventually getting the Flydigi Apex 4, I *really* want it and it's the first controller on the market that has both adjustable tension and adaptive triggers, along with mechanical buttons. Plus the Flydigi d-pad wheel is really fucking good too, in a class of its own.

But yeah, with the Edge I really don't feel like I gotta go get the Apex 4 any time soon. Just been gaming, enjoying using it. It's a great, well-made controller. Props to Sony. It's MUCH better than the Xbox Elite.
Rand

Post by Rand »

aweigh wrote: February 10th, 2024, 03:44
Still enjoying the DualSense Edge. Only con is the short battery life, battery only lasts around 5-7 hours depending on whether you use rumble or not.

Feels weird not being after another controller, been a while since I've just felt satisfied and focused on using just one controller to game without thinking of buying another one.

I do still plan on eventually getting the Flydigi Apex 4, I *really* want it and it's the first controller on the market that has both adjustable tension and adaptive triggers, along with mechanical buttons. Plus the Flydigi d-pad wheel is really fucking good too, in a class of its own.

But yeah, with the Edge I really don't feel like I gotta go get the Apex 4 any time soon. Just been gaming, enjoying using it. It's a great, well-made controller. Props to Sony. It's MUCH better than the Xbox Elite.
But you can use it plugged in, yes?
Rand

Post by Rand »

aweigh wrote: February 10th, 2024, 03:44
Props to Sony. It's MUCH better than the Xbox Elite.
I've always said the Sony controllers were better than Xbox's.
And it's not just because I strongly prefer the thumbstick position.

Are the hall effect stick replacements available yet?
Last edited by Rand on February 10th, 2024, 04:17, edited 3 times in total.
Oyster Sauce

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Just want to say that I fucking hate the nigger who decided to put gigantic glowing lights on controllers and I will shoot the retarded faggot who gave the PS4 controller a headlight that reflects off of the screen even on the lowest possible brightness setting.
aweigh

Post by aweigh »

Last edited by aweigh on February 17th, 2024, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

aweigh wrote: February 17th, 2024, 02:10
@rusty_shackleford

Doesn't look like it has anywhere near enough keys.