System Shock Remake

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: June 1st, 2023, 11:53
Tweed wrote: June 1st, 2023, 08:39
And the more I play this visually busy mess, the more I find beauty in those old, easy to read games. And to dig deeper on that, Prey is a modern game and an imsim, yet doesn't have anywhere near the same kind of problem Shock does in being unable to discern or find valuable objects in the mess that makes up the visuals. Not even Doom 3 which was one of the first games to reach a level of visual detail that made it hard to detect interactable from props has this much trouble and that game is darker than my asshole at the bottom of a well. What the hell were these people thinking?
Visual readability will always remain a problem as long as such concept clashes with the masses' conception of "good graphics". It's a lost battle.
BATMANVISION
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Tweed convinced me. I'm def buying this!
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Don't forget the use of yellow paint or obvious, immersion breaking markers to emphasise what you have to do and where you have to go. I'm at the point where I feel that "worse" graphics look a whole lot better.
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

This was doomed the moment they diverged from the Unity demo. The finished product gives me Underworld Ascendant vibes except that game at least tried to do something different, this one just copied an existing game's levels 1:1 and made them worse.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Maggot wrote: June 1st, 2023, 20:23
This was doomed the moment they diverged from the Unity demo. The finished product gives me Underworld Ascendant vibes except that game at least tried to do something different, this one just copied an existing game's levels 1:1 and made them worse.
Doomed? Seems it's doing quite well. Positive reviews and was even in Steam's top 5 sellers for a bit. You goofy ass codexers and your overdramatizations.
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

SDG wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 05:28
Maggot wrote: June 1st, 2023, 20:23
Doomed? Seems it's doing quite well. Positive reviews and was even in Steam's top 5 sellers for a bit. You goofy ass codexers and your overdramatizations.
Doomed in the sense of potential to be a good game. I don't care how many faux-retro hipster faggots are buying it and leaving positive reviews after less than an hour of gameplay.
SDG

Post by SDG »

@rusty_shackleford we need a *rolls eyes* button. Don't take my tags for granted. I can only walk this earth for so long.
KnightoftheWind

This game would've released years ago if the devs didn't go full retard and completely changed course, multiple times, for no reason. Everyone apparently liked the Unity demo, but they decided that instead of remaking the original more 1:1, they'd "modernize" the game and do a radical overhaul. Fans vehemently opposed this, so the devs rebooted it again and here we are now.
jcd

Post by jcd »

Apparently it's not so bad

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundr ... s-work-yet

Looks pretty cool too. I liked the original maps, glad the game is still faithful to the original.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

I like how the scrapped System Shock 3 with Will Spector to push out this steaming pile of neon-shit instead.
KnightoftheWind

Klerik wrote: June 10th, 2023, 02:33
I like how the scrapped System Shock 3 with Will Spector to push out this steaming pile of neon-shit instead.
(((Warren Spector))) also made the supposedly awful "Underworld: Ascendant", so maybe a bullet was dodged.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

KnightoftheWind wrote: June 10th, 2023, 03:11
Klerik wrote: June 10th, 2023, 02:33
(((Warren Spector))) also made the supposedly awful "Underworld: Ascendant", so maybe a bullet was dodged.
that was Paul Neurath, not Spector.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Finish it last week, gave it a second replay on max difficulty, couldn't imagine wanting to play it ever again over the original.

The game really is agonizingly slow compared to the original in every aspect. Movement is slower, Cyberspace is slower, and then there was the insistence on adding crawlspaces everywhere even where they weren't before. The speed boost costs energy to use and unlike the original boost implant which had a very cheap, skating movement and a high cost, nearly uncontrollable turbo, this one merges them together. So wanting to go fasts costs energy. The real problem here is that you can't boost through all those damn crawlspaces like you could in the original. To add to the frustration there's those damned animations. Find a new gun? Undress it with your eyes. Pick up a log? Have to scan it in. Opening a locked door? Wave a card in front of it. Modern devs never ask themselves "is the player going to get tired of seeing this after the tenth time?" or "will the player want to see this crap all over again on a replay?" How much of an issue is this? Someone already made a mod that speeds up all this crap and it's a godsend.

The same kind of time wasting happens right from the start. Doesn't matter if you've played once or hundred times you still have to endure the apartment intro. You can skip the product placements and the shuttle flight, but you can't skip the apartment. Keep in mind that Looking Glass managed to tell you everything you needed to know about the scenario, the story, and SHODAN's character in the span of two minutes while NDS pissed away their time showing you a space you won't be in for more than five. Then there's the matter of junk collection. The entire currency and recycle system is lifted from Prey and badly shoehorned into the game. Someone will say you don't have to be a space janny if you don't want to, but then you won't be buying weapon mods either, nevermind that it makes no sense. Vending machines that sell food make sense, vending machines that sell ammo and upgrades don't no matter how hot your take on Capitalism is. It works in Prey because everything gets recycled into matter and then reconstructed with science magic, this works in System Shock 2 because nanites are also science magic, and it works in Bioshock because Objectivism is retarded.

Inventory Tetris is another thing jammed into the game from System Shock 2, but in the end it doesn't matter that much. I discovered that the game is overly generous with ammo and most weapons actually kill with impunity except the starting pistol and the crappy ion rifle or whatever it was. So just pick your few favorites and run with them. There's also a grenade launcher which is the answer to the non exploding grenades. It's probably the most powerful weapon in the game simply because it provides a quick, long range delivery of EMP grenades which stops any robot or cyborg in its tracks including Diego. It's hilarious that they give him a tiny intro each time he shows up, only for me to stun him and then hack him to ribbons with the laser rapier. Still, it's better than the final boss fight where you fight the giant cyber carrot that does nothing while you slllloooowwwwllllyy go from place to place shooting cyber baddies until a spikey ball starts flying around SHODAN. For as much as people bitched about OG cyberspace and the original finale it's still way better than this. At least SHODAN bumps into you while she tries to take over your mind in the OG game and if you're playing on max difficult you have a very short window in which to stop her.

All in all, it's just another example of modern devs not grasping why or how these games work, but what do I know? It's a smash and now every old game is going to be remade in the same fashion.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Tweed: it's shit!
also Tweed: I played it twice
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Sorry I hurt your game, mister.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Tweed wrote: June 11th, 2023, 05:11
Sorry I hurt your game, mister.
I agree with your criticisms above, the animations, the slower movement of the character etc. but I am having fun playing it despite all that.

It isn't the original System Shock, it's a remade System Shock and I feel that, the vibe is completely different.

That's exactly what I expected.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

wndrbr wrote: June 11th, 2023, 04:45
Tweed: it's shit!
also Tweed: I played it twice
Got to defend the fellow degen here, playing it twice is perfectly reasonable. Even bastardized, inferior System Shock 1-based remake is naturally going to be a better experience than pretty much any modern game.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I actually finished System Shock myself not so long ago.

I played it before, but never to completion. Very fun game, I think I even liked it more than SS2.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

rusty_shackleford wrote: June 11th, 2023, 12:39
System shock was never good.
True and that's why the remake was a welcome thing
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

wndrbr wrote: June 11th, 2023, 11:30
I actually finished System Shock myself not so long ago.

I played it before, but never to completion. Very fun game, I think I even liked it more than SS2.
Now I see why NuShock gives people ten hours to finish the game instead of eight. :smug:
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

rusty_shackleford wrote: June 11th, 2023, 12:39
System shock was never good.
You grew up in a different time so you have no fucking clue because you were not 8 years old when it came out. You played games that came out afterward and just ignored it due to it being clunky or whatever. System Shock was always good and saying otherwise makes you a contrarian. Kinda like saying Baldur's Gate is total shit while playing 76. ;)
Suissant

Post by Suissant »

The control scheme of System Shock was basically evolved from Ultima Underworld. And it was one of the first games to use WASD (SXAD) for movement. At the time of 2.5d games mouselook, I imagine, was somewhat inconceivable (duke nukem 3d had an option for strafing left and right but NOT turning left and right). It was intuitive for people who was playing wolfestein or doom or UW or whatever. The notable thing is that in its basics it does what its sequel SS2 does: the mouse cursor as a "meta cursor" that you can toggle as functioning in the realtime living world or as operating on the systems and subsystems of the virtual cyberneticic gui that was implanted in your brain storywise
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

is system shock shit like bioshlock
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Emphyrio wrote: June 17th, 2023, 05:46
is system shock shit like bioshlock
Other way around.