Various video game stuff not deserving its own thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Dontnod are a dedicated gay studio, so it's not all that interesting to make fun of them.

Post by 1998 »

Nora, rebellious, eccentric and full of energy; Autumn, the thoughtful and charismatic group leader; and Kat: pragmatic, strong-willed and enigmatic.
Don't think they got a tranny here, guess time to cancel them

And yes, obviously the negress is the leader.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

wndrbr wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 12:06
Dontnod are a dedicated gay studio, so it's not all that interesting to make fun of them.
It's genuinely frightening how their writers can make the characters sound like authentic modern teenaged thots. Someone should take a look at their hard drives.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

If I spent years of my life making a video game I would work extra hard in the days following launch to fix issues that are causing other human beings to like it less
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Mass Effect 1 has some of the best grenades in any game. Whipping them like frisbees and detonating them as they past an enemy hiding behind cover is genius. The sequels were a huge downgrade in the grenade department.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

first the rootkits, monetization and now this. Helldivers must love taking it up the ass from Sony
Last edited by Nammu Archag on May 4th, 2024, 02:51, edited 2 times in total.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Can we discuss Quasimorph here or should I make a new thread?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Cogemeister wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 20:15
Can we discuss Quasimorph here or should I make a new thread?
This thread is primarily for one off thoughts or things that don't warrant a thread. I'd make a thread to discuss a game.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 19:12
Mass Effect 1 has some of the best grenades in any game. Whipping them like frisbees and detonating them as they past an enemy hiding behind cover is genius. The sequels were a huge downgrade in the grenade department.
I'll never forget the story that the weapons in ME2 originally were set up where after you ran out of thermal "clips" the guns would revert to functioning like they do in ME1 (so while ammo wouldn't run out if you didn't have thermals you were left with guns that would overheat really fast and incentivize getting more) but abandoned it because play testers found it "too confusing".
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: May 4th, 2024, 00:56
Oyster Sauce wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 19:12
I'll never forget the story that the weapons in ME2 originally were set up where after you ran out of thermal "clips" the guns would revert to functioning like they do in ME1 (so while ammo wouldn't run out if you didn't have thermals you were left with guns that would overheat really fast and incentivize getting more) but abandoned it because play testers found it "too confusing".
One of the most popular weapons in Helldivers 2 uses batteries that heat up and cool down like ME1 weapons. If you push them too far and fry them, or you just need to keep shooting and don't have time to wait for it to cool off, you can "reload" a new battery. Somehow nobody is confused by this system.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 4th, 2024, 01:03
One of the most popular weapons in Helldivers 2 uses batteries that heat up and cool down like ME1 weapons. If you push them too far and fry them, or you just need to keep shooting and don't have time to wait for it to cool off, you can "reload" a new battery. Somehow nobody is confused by this system.
I've never heard a story about playtesters that didn't result in some retarded shit nigger brained decision that made the game objectively worse.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Most 'playtesters' are just friends & family members, they need people who are playing the game freshly for the first time.
I playtest games when requested for a couple medium-sized studios because I just asked a developer if I could. I also get to keep the game in my steam library each time I've done it, that is, the full title when it releases.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 4th, 2024, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Can't remember what game it was but there was a story of some publisher having a bunch of 13 year old boys (the target demographic) come in and play test the game and they complained that the game wasn't mature enough and was for babies so it went from having an interesting and varied art style and gameplay to 7th gen generic slop that sold like shit.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: May 4th, 2024, 01:18
Can't remember what game it was but there was a story of some publisher having a bunch of 13 year old boys (the target demographic) come in and play test the game and they complained that the game wasn't mature enough and was for babies so it went from having an interesting and varied art style and gameplay to 7th gen generic slop that sold like shit.
The original trailer did not age particularly well

Vergil

Post by Vergil »

It's at least more memorable than the second trailer which looks like every single third person shooter from 2007-2013.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Nammu Archag wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 20:10

first the rootkits and monetization and now this. Helldivers must love taking it up the ass from Sony
This is mandatory for creating a PSN account in the UK btw

Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 4th, 2024, 01:38
This is mandatory for creating a PSN account in the UK btw
Based Japs making anglos' lives even worse.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

gerey wrote: March 14th, 2024, 23:12
Apparently the Dead by Daylight devs had a troon voice the creature below:

And here is what the flesh demon had to say about it:

Not even two months later this nigga has died of AIDS

Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Last edited by Acrux on May 4th, 2024, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Lead the people of the Tribe of the Dawn as they venture deep into forbidden lands. Complete quests that shape their personalities, impact their wellbeing, and decide the fate of their community. Ensure the survival of your populace in a grim fantasy world inspired by Slavic folklore.

Last edited by gerey on May 5th, 2024, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

Havitner wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:13
Total Warhammer 3, in a recent update, added the first normal human woman warrior. All other female characters so far have (to my knowledge) had some special reason to explain why they could keep up with men on the battefield. They were vampires, or wizards, or blessed by the dark gods, or empowered by spirits, or they were elves, or asian, or undead.

This one is simply 'this woman is a total badass in full plate armor who is the equal of any man, so there!'

► Show Spoiler
(Repanse de Lyonesse may or may not have been blessed by the Lady of the Lake, so she doesn't count)
god that shit was so cringe

like the Golden Knight stuff was obscure enough as it is (as is all of the stuff for Kislev to be honest) so they were like AHA! we can do what we want with it! MAKE IT A WOMAN!

Kislev COULD have been a cool fantasy Slav faction that fights the good fight against Chaos and inevitably gets their ass beat, but instead they got flanderised into girl power/everything is fucking bears and ice

and don't get me fuckin started on the new bitch Elspeth von Draken, i read the Tamurkhan Throne of Chaos book about a year back and was keen on the big h0ss himself coming but knew that cringe mary sue was going to be dragged in as well

like my god, 'yeah, i'm an uber powerful death wizard who rides a heckin evil death dragon in a faction that's meant to be grounded and not over-the-top, also i don't answer to the Supreme Patriarch of the Colleges of Magic, i kill witch hunters that (rightfully) try to snoop around my EVIL BLACK TOWER OF WITCHERY, i literally live for hundreds of years and don't technically die at the end of the book (totally not a vampire btw), and instead of facing Tamurkhan myself with my almighty overpowered magic i'm gonna send a sacrificial lamb to fight him and inevitably lose so he can blow up when Tamurkhan tries to possess his body'

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Last edited by Manny V on May 6th, 2024, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Just starting Fallout 1 again. Haven't played since I was a kid. I forgot how much atmosphere there was. The music is so good.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 4th, 2024, 21:53
gerey wrote: March 14th, 2024, 23:12
Apparently the Dead by Daylight devs had a troon voice the creature below:

And here is what the flesh demon had to say about it:

Not even two months later this nigga has died of AIDS

Thought i'd try and contribute

surprised i only got a warning for typing 3 letters, one time when i wrote ':coffee: women' in a halo post about some circlejerk "Women's History Month" or whatever that they always do i got a permaban
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Not specifically game related, but GW is having another good one.

“And, yes, he would have been a fine knight and earned his spurs in less than a year. His knight’s oath sworn on the midsummer’s morn. He would meet a boy with a smile that lit up the world, their love so great that all Bretonnia’s poets would weep as they penned exquisite odes in its celebration.”
Zoner

Post by Zoner »

Since this is the one-off gaming-related thread...

I played Crysis and the expansion Crysis: Warhead this weekend. Crysis was great fun. It actually felt a bit like an Arma game but with aliens, since it keeps you immersed the whole time. All cutscenes are in first person, and basically, all communications with you are by radio.

However, in Warhead, they ditched all that to make emotionally awkward cutscenes in third-person, and a plot filled with set pieces and turret sections. Curious what happened here - was it EA, the publisher interfering, or something else? And yeah, they also ditched the aspect of picking up ammo manually, now you just had to walk over the weapons. It's small, but took away from the immersion as well.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Zoner wrote: May 7th, 2024, 22:35
Since this is the one-off gaming-related thread...

I played Crysis and the expansion Crysis: Warhead this weekend. Crysis was great fun. It actually felt a bit like an Arma game but with aliens, since it keeps you immersed the whole time. All cutscenes are in first person, and basically, all communications with you are by radio.

However, in Warhead, they ditched all that to make emotionally awkward cutscenes in third-person, and a plot filled with set pieces and turret sections. Curious what happened here - was it EA, the publisher interfering, or something else? And yeah, they also ditched the aspect of picking up ammo manually, now you just had to walk over the weapons. It's small, but took away from the immersion as well.
lol wait until you play 2 and 3. it got so much worse.