What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 30th, 2023, 02:34
Did you play Whitemarch?
When can you go to Whitemarch? I've tried playing POE a few times over the years, but I just can't make myself play past clearing Caed Nua. Given my love for Icewind Dale, Whitemarch is really the only part I'm interested in playing.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Acrux wrote: March 30th, 2023, 02:57
Did you play Whitemarch?
When can you go to Whitemarch? I've tried playing POE a few times over the years, but I just can't make myself play past clearing Caed Nua. Given my love for Icewind Dale, Whitemarch is really the only part I'm interested in playing.
Can't really remember, sorry. It's past Caed Nua though. @Roguey probably knows.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 30th, 2023, 02:59
Did you play Whitemarch?
Can't really remember, sorry. It's past Caed Nua though. @Roguey probably knows.
I've never played it but I'm pretty sure you can start in act 2. Recommended for level 7.

You don't need to and probably shouldn't clear Caed Nua. Just do all you need to do on level one to continue the plot and move on.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

You can head over to the White March as soon as you go through Woedica's Temple. And, if you skip as much content as possible, you can get there as low as lvl 6.

White March is interesting, I agree.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

When can you go to Whitemarch?
I played Part 1 after Act II and Part 2 between acts III and IV.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Played and finished The Last of Us to see what all the fuss was about.

Turns out the fuss only emerged because g*mers have inferiority complex and want their games to be less like games, and more like the movies. There's more story than game in this "game". And it's not even a good story, it's just told in a cinematic way.

LIke 30% of the playthrough consisted of me watching cutscenes, another 30% consisted of me being restricted to slow walk while the main character speaks to other NPCs. 20% was jogging around the place picking up loot (which was largely meaningless since your carrying capacity is pathetic, and once you run dry on resources the game will automatically drop more from enemies). And the last 20% was combat/stealth sections.

Now, the combat was surprisingly OK, but not particularly deep - just your typical run on a mill cover shooter with Sony's patented "stealth in the bushes". There was a lot of redundancy in player's weaponry, the amount of enemy types is low, and encounters weren't exactly inventive (for example, for some reason the game never pitted you against survivors and zombies at the same time - it's always either human survivors, or a bunch of zombies). You are always locked in self-contained arenas and most of the time you can't leave area before finishing all the enemies. Backtracking to previous locations is also prohibited with no good explanations.

tl;dr it's just a typical run on a mill cover shooter with a very small amount of actual gameplay. Only reasons it became as big as it is were high production values, and a sappy oscar-bait father/daughter story.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

btw Capcom tried to ape The Last of Us with their "Resident Evil Revelations 2". RERev2 had a very tiny budget (it was developed after RE6 underperformed in sales, and was meant to be an experimental way to pick a possible new direction for the series), but despite that it turned out to be a solid entry in the series. I enjoyed it a lot more than TLOU.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

wndrbr wrote: March 31st, 2023, 15:22
(for example, for some reason the game never pitted you against survivors and zombies at the same time - it's always either human survivors, or a bunch of zombies).
This happens in the DLC.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Did anyone make a TLoU mod that enables guns in the synagogue yet?
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

People reported tons of issues running the game after it launched. Did you encounter any of that after multi-gig patch they put out soon after launch?
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Modurn gaymers really love their shitty sony interactive movies where protagonist is either emasculated daddy type or an angsty dyke. I wouldn't even pirate it.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Playing some VR shit right now, finished RE4 VR and now playing HL2 EP1 VR.

Also fedora tip to wonderbra for mentioning RE Revelations. Completely forgot these games exist. Sadly i only got the first one, but it's been sitting in my library for too long. I'll give it a go.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Playing Dawn of Sorrow cause I ain't never played it yet.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Nemesis wrote: April 1st, 2023, 14:32
People reported tons of issues running the game after it launched. Did you encounter any of that after multi-gig patch they put out soon after launch?
I played without patches... for reasons :eyebrows:

Didn't encounter any problems except for the 30 minutes long shader compilation. But it only happens when you launch the game for the first time, so not really a big deal.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

played wh40k daemonhunters or w/e for about 4 hours and got bored, repetitive nu-xcom clone
I refuse to believe there were people who willingly played this crap over King Arthur: Knight's Tale.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2023, 15:37
played wh40k daemonhunters or w/e for about 4 hours and got bored, repetitive nu-xcom clone
I refuse to believe there were people who willingly played this crap over King Arthur: Knight's Tale.
tried to play it more and damn it sucks
no wonder they put denuvo on this turd, nobody would have bought it after pirating it and uninstalling it shortly after
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

KnightoftheWind wrote: April 1st, 2023, 21:43
Is Legend of Grimrock decent?.
I don't like real-time blobbers, but if you do, it's good. If it had been turn-based I think it would have been just about perfect.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

85% done with Yakuza 2.
Getting to be a bit of a struggle to finish this as i've reached the point where my kiryu is an unstoppable god so i'm just running around avoiding fights that are too easy to be fun doing optional missions until i've had enough and decided it's time to wrap up the finale.

Overall Yakuza 1 is better and what improvements Y2 has is marginal at best.
Strongly prefer Y1's 4 distinct styles as opposed the generic super style of Y2, and for levelling basic bitch hp upgrades are annoying again now that there is like 60 levels of them multiplied by every other stat but it's tiny +2 incrementals whereas in Y1 there was only 6 damage boosts so getting one was a massive deal. On paper Y2 has more stats and skills i'm sure but with the loss of style specific moves it feels like i have less tools in my toolkit then before.

After finishing Y1 my expectations for the series was each new title was going to keep adding new moves and abilities until your end game command list ressembled a tekken character's yet Y2 seems to be pulling the series to the opposite direction and gutting depth in favor of grind .
aweigh

Post by aweigh »

Zero babbies whining about muh styles.. ack ack ack.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 is a masterpiece, though I'll grant you that RGG hadn't yet perfected their Dragon Engine combat physics and speed. Once you play Yakuza 4, the hardest game in the series and the only one that forces you to learn how its combat actually works you'll realize that the styles thing is just fluff.

It was probably why they made 5, 6, 0, K1 and K2 so easy. I imagine a ton of people complained about Yakuza 4's difficulty.

As for the TRULY best combat in the series wait until you get to and play the two Judgment games, specifically Lost Judgment. Absolute peak in terms of combat and a great combination of the speed of the earlier Yakuza titles with the physics of the Dragon Engine, plus a lot of juggle combo potential somewhat new to the combat formula.

EDIT: I do agree the constant stat boosting is annoying in K2 and 6. They finally figured it out for Judgment but... they kinda went too far there in simplifying it, in my opinion.
Last edited by aweigh on April 4th, 2023, 23:35, edited 3 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The only playable Yakuza is Like a Dragon because it has English voiceovers. :smug:
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

the puzzles are fun, the dance-dance combat is shit
aweigh

Post by aweigh »

BTW for anyone planning on playing TLOU on PC here's how to disable the awful built-in sharpening filter:

Open the tlou-i.exe with HxD (or whatever) and:

Sharpening off:

Find:

74 0A C5 FA 10 86 E4 1A 00 00

Replace with:

EB 0A C5 FA 10 86 E4 1A 00 00

Game looks waaaay better without it. The built-in sharpening filter is cranked way too high, makes the game look weird. Once you disable it it looks like the PS5 version.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Roguey wrote: March 5th, 2023, 01:06
Roguey wrote: February 5th, 2023, 01:53
Been playing Wrath of the Righteous for over a month. It will probably take another month or more to finish. So difficult now to recall a time when I wasn't playing it.
One month later and I'm in act 4. So far I'm liking the pace of this city adventure better than the 30+ encounter combat slog that finished act 3.
Another month and I'm still at it. The good news is that the end is within sight. Just have to wrap up a few sidequests before entering the endgame. Unfortunately this includes one that has a reputation for being long, tedious, and infuriating (the Nenio dungeon).
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 4th, 2023, 23:26
The only playable Yakuza is Like a Dragon because it has English voiceovers. :smug:
The first one for PS2 has English voice-over as well. Mark Hamill played Majima. :Inspector:
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Emphyrio wrote: April 4th, 2023, 23:28
the puzzles are fun, the dance-dance combat is shit
It's different, typically the genre is turn-based and I get that it's probably the best choice, but the "dance-dance" combat did keep the pace up at the very least. Encounters don't last for very long and there is some tension in trying to avoid attacks and multiple enemies at once.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Finished Dawn of Sorrow using the Definitive Edition hack which fixes some junk and gets rid of the retarded seal drawing aspect. Was a very good game, too bad there will never be any more from Jewnomi.

Replayed through AitD 1 in two evenings, just felt like playing it for some odd reason. Also played Myst for some strange compulsion, I think I like it more now than I did as a kid.

Playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, been awhile since I've played, game has gotten several updates since then.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

I finally got around to trying Factorio. It's a fine piece of autism.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Ranselknulf wrote: April 5th, 2023, 11:17
Based game by based devs. When one of the devs linked to some videos that featured a "problematic" person some people tried to concern troll the devs, they told them to go shove it. Also my brother and I were playing at one point and kept getting unreasonable amounts of lag after an update. We reported it on the forum, a few hours later there was a new patch, problem solved.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

It's ok. I just wish it was more about fighting the bugs.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Emphyrio wrote: April 5th, 2023, 13:04
It's ok. I just wish it was more about fighting the bugs.
change setting to deathworld