We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Rimworld (and similar games)

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Cogemeister

Rimworld (and similar games)

Post by Cogemeister »

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, but there’s something about the completely off-the-rails gameplay that Rimworld provides that is very fun and cozy.
-Difficulty: Can be pretty hard to try and survive past a hard winter, but not so hard that you won’t ever be able to get to the point of dominating the world.
-Replayability: basically infinite playthroughs, DLC and updates on a regular basis. It’s fun to go through the steam reviews and see people with thousands upon thousands of hours.
-Modding: (If you an are into it) Is insane for the game. You can mod in WH40k, Star Wars, Medieval Fantasy, etc. not to mention create your own completely custom pawn with their own unique backstory and skills.
-Random events: While not always unique, they offer something different every playthrough not unlike a rougelike.
-Choices: Nothing is off-limits. You can be brutal, you can create your own religion, take slaves, you can actually attempt to help other communities or you can be cool and purge every unholy degenerate being on the planet (CoQ devs seething)
In conclusion I really like Rimworld, however, without a creative mindset going into the game you will get next to nothing out of it. Also, the price point is a bit steep for the DLC’s but if you enjoy the game enough they do add some cool content.
Last edited by Cogemeister on April 26th, 2024, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

I always liked RimWorld because I saw it as "Dwarf Fortress for beginners" - which is just as well now that DF has become woke.

That said RimWorld only amused me for a while and I just have no desire to ever play it again, despite all the DLC. That's another thing. I don't think the DLC is actually very good or adds enough to really change how the game feels. Feels more like paid mods.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Been playing 1.5 and good golly the combat stinks without mods.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 26th, 2024, 09:32
Which mods would you say improve combat?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Cogemeister wrote: April 26th, 2024, 09:46
Oyster Sauce wrote: April 26th, 2024, 09:32
Which mods would you say improve combat?
Yayo's and Combat Extended have been good to me in the past. IIRC Yayo's is lighter and doesn't require compatibility patches and CE is more in-depth but you'll need to make sure all of your other mods work with it. Neither are updated for 1.5 yet.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

Rimworld is a real piece of shit. The early colony sim is fun and well simulated, then it gets completely retarded. Game 'challenge' is endless level scaled random enemies popping up at base. The combat makes even lame tactical combat sims look good in comparison. These days it exists to sell paradox style DLCs, that only add stuff that barely inter connect with original parts, and completely breaks the game.

It has great features like chance of enemy being dead or unconscious after you down them is related to number of colonists you have, and other retarded shit.
Last edited by asf on April 27th, 2024, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

asf wrote: April 27th, 2024, 16:58
It has great features like chance of enemy being dead or unconscious after you down them is related to number of colonists you have, and other retarded shit.
This is an option you're free to disable/scale to your liking :)
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

What kind of argument is that, do I have to spend ages messing with game xml files until it is playable? The point is that the game includes a lot of stupid features that reflects the great design behind it.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

asf wrote: April 27th, 2024, 17:27
What kind of argument is that, do I have to spend ages messing with game xml files until it is playable? The point is that the game includes a lot of stupid features that reflects the great design behind it.
please don't be a gay retard when you reply to me, this isn't /v/

Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 27th, 2024, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

yes, that totally precludes the fact that you have to tweak the game into playability

moron
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

I guess we can also discuss Song of Syx here, as it’s an early access game similar to Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress.
Adeptus

Post by Adeptus »

asf wrote: April 27th, 2024, 17:50
yes, that totally precludes the fact that you have to tweak the game into playability

moron
"I am playing game on hard difficulty and its too hard".
"You know that You can change difficulty?"
"Nooo, I want game to magically know my preferences from the start".
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Adeptus wrote: April 29th, 2024, 07:52

moron
While the game definitely has its faults (expensive DLC for one) that’s a pretty retarded thing to complain about.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

Adeptus wrote: April 29th, 2024, 07:52

moron
is that you tynan, it takes a special kind of retard to think a shitty game and a difficult game are the same thing
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

Cogemeister wrote: April 30th, 2024, 07:24
While the game definitely has its faults (expensive DLC for one) that’s a pretty retarded thing to complain about.
says the person who thinks starsector economy is good
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

asf wrote: April 30th, 2024, 20:44
Yes, I like it better than a set-price economy seen in other games. I really don’t get your hate for Starsector. Rimworld is extremely overpriced, yes, but Starsector is completely free and if you don’t like vanilla there’s thousands of mods.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

asf wrote: April 30th, 2024, 20:44
sounds like a smart guy
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

so this is what zoomers think is quality, and so society marches towards the bottom of the barrel
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

asf wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:33
so this is what zoomers think is quality, and so society marches towards the bottom of the barrel
What is a quality game for you?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

After several years of psychic meditation I've finally acquired the power that allows me to regenerate my colonist's penis that he lost in a hunting accident :salute: