We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Twists that have ruined a game for you

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Twists that have ruined a game for you

Post by rusty_shackleford »

When I tried Outriders a couple years back when it released, soon after the game starts they decide to just ruin the pristine natural setting — you start out landing on an uncharted planet — and replace it with some industrial hellscape for whatever reason. Not really a spoiler, it happens within the first hour. And it completely ruined the game for me.
I don't think I missed much, but I couldn't help but wonder what the fuck they were smoking to take an interesting setting and turn it into generic slop.

Tags:
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

This isn't exactly what ruined the game for me, but I was spoiled on Saint's Row 4 taking place inside of a simulation. So when the game started with you disarming nukes mid-flight in the Middle East, becoming president of the United States, and watching as the earth is invaded by space aliens I didn't think much of it... and then I was placed into the simulation.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

MGSV already felt retarded and like a massive waste of time plot wise but the twist makes it deserve to be head canon'd out of existence.
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

Didn't like the Animus twist in AC games. Never was really into them anyway.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Vergil wrote: April 25th, 2024, 15:36
MGSV already felt retarded and like a massive waste of time plot wise but the twist makes it deserve to be head canon'd out of existence.
Use a spoiler tag and tell us.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

J1M wrote: April 25th, 2024, 20:50
Must have been really shit because I don't remember it at all, or anything else from the game.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

StudiedAsleep wrote: April 25th, 2024, 18:30
Didn't like the Animus twist in AC games. Never was really into them anyway.
It starts with you in the modern day. The real twist is ancient aliens
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker

The conclusion to the 400+ hour long visual novel is that
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on April 25th, 2024, 21:08, edited 2 times in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

It's a 10 year old game.
Making the protagonist actually a body double who was sissy hypno psyopped whilst the real protagonist was off doing what the game was actually advertised as being about was retarded enough. The protagonist of the previous games being okay with this is already character assassination tier stupid. But also retconning every single other game in the series going forward by having there secretly being two Big Bosses and the one in Metal Gear 1 was just a body double is too much.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: April 25th, 2024, 21:15
It's a 10 year old game.
Making the protagonist actually a body double who was sissy hypno psyopped whilst the real protagonist was off doing what the game was actually advertised as being about was retarded enough. The protagonist of the previous games being okay with this is already character assassination tier stupid. But also retconning every single other game in the series going forward by having there secretly being two Big Bosses and the one in Metal Gear 1 was just a body double is too much.
I originally read that as MGSIV and was confused about a twist in that game :oops:
I was spoiled on the MGSV twist and it made me not even want to play it
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 25th, 2024, 21:17
I originally read that as MGSIV and was confused about a twist in that game :oops:
To be fair that game has a stupid oddly similar twist where Ocelot was merely pretending to be retarded and possessed through hypnosis
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Spiderman Remastered has a twist where Mary Plain Watson is a reporter for the daily bugle. And you have to play as her. And she says feminism at you while you walk around.

Can't tell you what happens after that.

I get that with her looking that way she couldn't still be a model, but there are other low-paying jobs that women think are prestigious too. It didn't have to be a copy of what Peter did. She could be a washed up model that is a real estate agent instead. Or a washed up model that is a wedding photographer. Or a washed up model that has an OnlyFans account. Etc.
Last edited by J1M on April 25th, 2024, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

It's a 10 year old game.
Really loved retconning the MGS3 boss powers into parasites??? even though at least two turn into ghosts in front of you
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 25th, 2024, 22:55

It's a 10 year old game.
Really loved retconning the MGS3 boss powers into parasites??? even though at least two turn into ghosts in front of you
Nanomachines, but even more gay and retarded!!!!
At least MGS4 had the excuse that it was tying up questions that were intentionally asked with no intended answers. MGSV just randomly decides to start fucking around with old games for no reason.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Gone Home.

The twist is: nothing spooky is going on, by happenstance nobody is at home and oh your sister is a dyke and that's somehow really important mkay
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I don't remember such games. Usually if the game has gameplay good enough to carry you through, then it doesn't really matter if there's a particularly bad plot twist. Only storyfag games can be ruined by a twist.

David Cage's games have notoriously shitty writing and ridiculous plot twists. In Heavy Rain, one of the main characters is a detective who hunts down a serial killer. The game's twist was that he himself was a serial killer all along, and it made no sense. He even had an internal monologue that never implied anything about him being a killer, and only talked about the investigation. No, he was not a schizo.
Last edited by wndrbr on April 26th, 2024, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

It's a 10 year old game.
Coming back to this because it's just too retarded. They can implant false memories but couldn't be bothered to teach him Russian, the language he frequently spoke during the most influential mission of his life? Did they surgically alter his vocal cords to match Big Boss'? How? What a stupid game.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 26th, 2024, 01:20
Did they surgically alter his vocal cords to match Big Boss'?
they didn't, that's why the Fake Snake sounds like Jack Bauer from 24 and not like David Hayter.
Last edited by WhiteShark on April 26th, 2024, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed ispoiler tags
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

► Show Spoiler
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

wndrbr wrote: April 26th, 2024, 01:18
I don't remember such games. Usually if the game has gameplay good enough to carry you through, then it doesn't really matter if there's a particularly bad plot twist. Only storyfag games can be ruined by a twist.

David Cage's games have notoriously shitty writing and ridiculous plot twists. In Heavy Rain, one of the main characters is a detective who hunts down a serial killer. The game's twist was that he himself was a serial killer all along, and it made no sense. He even had an internal monologue that never implied anything about him being a killer, and only talked about the investigation. No, he was not a schizo.
Detroit Become Human also has an equally retarded twist.
► Show Spoiler
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

aweigh wrote: April 26th, 2024, 01:45
wndrbr wrote: April 26th, 2024, 01:18

Detroit Become Human also has an equally retarded twist.
► Show Spoiler
Of course aweigh would be upset about the twist it isn't an authentic little girl :Inspector:
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Based David Cage making storyfags seethe since 1999.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: April 25th, 2024, 21:07

► Show Spoiler
That's final fantasy for you. The writing isn't even good for a visual novel
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

The gods aren't real!

Actually, that was just the last nail in the coffin, the game was already floundering before that.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

this thread is sponsored by m night shamalalalaya
LemonDemonGirl

Post by LemonDemonGirl »

WoW Shadowlands
The Jailer's mere fucking existence.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

LemonDemonGirl wrote: April 26th, 2024, 21:01
WoW Shadowlands
The Jailer's mere fucking existence.
Was a twist for most of the staff too. Primus was supposed to be the villain.
Havitner

Post by Havitner »

► Show Spoiler
I have lost track of the number of anime/manga/games I have dropped because of exactly shit like that. Probably more than for all other reasons combined (shitty writing, bad art, boring gameplay, etc.).

It's become an automatic instant dealbreaker for me at this point.
Last edited by Havitner on April 28th, 2024, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Havitner wrote: April 28th, 2024, 16:17

► Show Spoiler
I have lost track of the number of anime/manga/games I have dropped because of exactly shit like that. Probably more than for all other reasons combined (shitty writing, bad art, boring gameplay, etc.).

It's become an automatic instant dealbreaker for me at this point.