We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Favorite roguelites and roguelikes

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Cogemeister

Favorite roguelites and roguelikes

Post by Cogemeister »

What are your favorite rogue-type games? For newer releases I’ve been enjoying Halls of Torment as well as Roboquest. A newer ones that isn’t terrible (but needs some work) is Thronefall, it’s sort of just a flash game tbh but still fun.
I recently started playing DeadCells which, so can’t comment too much about it.
I have been looking into Quasimorph, even though it isn’t really a roguelite game.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 23rd, 2024, 03:58, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: OVERRULED!
Anon

Post by Anon »

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is my particular fav, wasted too many hours playing that.

I also enjoy cataclysm dda and Dwarf Fortress, though it's been quite some time since I last played them, and from what I've heard they're getting trooned out unfortunately.

Seeing peoples answers I realize I've not been much into roguelites myself, perhaps I should play some of these. I played Hades but I didn't enjoy it much.
Last edited by Anon on April 23rd, 2024, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
ManjuShri
Turtle
Turtle

Post by ManjuShri »

Looking forward to this roguelike by the Boneraiser Minions guy.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Since we already have a roguelike thread, I declare this the roguelite thread. I've been playing One Step From Eden. It has Mega Man Battle Network combat and deckbuilding somewhat like Slay the Spire. Seems pretty challenging. I got to the penultimate stage on my last run before dying. I haven't really figured out a good build yet. I struggle with some of the bosses because of how much stuff you have to keep track of, but it's getting easier as I learn the patterns and cards.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

WhiteShark wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 03:45
Since we already have a roguelike thread,
No rule against creating a new thread for a topic that has already been discussed. And I want to shill ToME.

ToME is my favorite of the newer roguelikes. You can get it for free or buy the supporter edition on Steam:
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 23rd, 2024, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll have to research some of these. One I’ve been seeing recently on my suggested has been “Barony” which looks sort of like some Minecraft mod but fleshed out and $20, so more on the expensive end of early access roguelikes/ lites.
ManjuShri
Turtle
Turtle

Post by ManjuShri »

A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

I remember really liking Rogue Legacy when I played it, and if you like deck-builders Slay the spire is a modern classic.

Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Introducing your next addiction:

Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Nemesis wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 13:43
Introducing your next addiction:

One of my friends (I need to introduce him to this forum) is obsessed with this game lol. I’m not the biggest fan of deck builders or even poker but I might have to eventually try it out.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

rogay games all suck except cdda
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Watched a friend play a bit of this tonight. Unique take, hockey gameplay looked solid.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Having public servers, where you can store your games and keep track of all your previous games and compete for highscores/tournaments in completely legitimate and integrity runs, is the biggest appeal of DCSS (dungeon crawl stone soup) by far and I wish more roguelikes/lites were like this.
asf wrote: April 24th, 2024, 01:14
rogay games all suck except cdda
How good is it nowadays? I dropped the game after they began bloating it with too much random shit.

Btw I recommend dwarf fortress adventure mode, it plays similar to CDDA in my opinion.
Last edited by Anon on April 24th, 2024, 01:58, edited 2 times in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

df adv mode is a joke

current cdda is shit, autism has been killing all good aspects of the game as usual. but it is open source and you can just play good old versions or some forks
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I put an unholy amount of time into the Binding of Isaac. Not going to recommend it, though. It's a roguelite with a meta progression (gay), it's full of satanic imagery, and it's addictive like crack.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

I personally don’t really mind meta-progression, but it is nice to play a fresh start every time with games like FTL.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Cogemeister wrote: April 24th, 2024, 03:23
I personally don’t really mind meta-progression, but it is nice to play a fresh start every time with games like FTL.
Meta-progression is tolerable when winning isn't predicated on having a bunch of stuff unlocked. FTL does fine with that because you just unlock new ships.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Noita is on my wishlist, I’ll buy it when it’s on sale because I have a feeling I might not like it too much.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

WhiteShark wrote: April 24th, 2024, 03:56
Cogemeister wrote: April 24th, 2024, 03:23
Meta-progression is tolerable when winning isn't predicated on having a bunch of stuff unlocked. FTL does fine with that because you just unlock new ships.
Yeah, DeadCells for example is definitely a roguelite and you have to grind quite a bit to beat the higher BCs, but you can easily get through the main game without having anything unlocked.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Cogemeister wrote: April 24th, 2024, 00:53
I’m not the biggest fan of deck builders or even poker
Neither am I, but this game is good.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Cogemeister wrote: April 24th, 2024, 03:57
Noita is on my wishlist, I’ll buy it when it’s on sale because I have a feeling I might not like it too much.
Once you figure out how the game is played most of the difficulty vanishes. The only frustrating thing is losing hours of work. The game is massive and there's a load of optional shit you can do, beating the game is only the beginning.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

I’m now on the ToME discord, and they infect every single community they are in with their troon shit.