We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Strategy Game Discussion

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Strategy Game Discussion

Post by Shillitron »

I need a Civilization game that isn't Civilization.
Anything that does Units / Combat but with trade and exploration?

I've played Anno games quite a bit already.. I know there was some pozzed civ clone but I don't wanna play it.

Any suggestions?
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Age of Wonders series.
Eador series
Deadlock series is similar I think
Endless legend
Galactic Civilizations series
Hearts of Iron series
Heroes of might and magic series
Kings Bounty series
Master of Orion
Master of Magic
Panzer Corps
Sins of a solar empire
Strategic Mind series
Battle worlds: Kronos
Crusader Kings series

I could be off on some exactly to their similarities, but generally I think are along the same theme of style in play.
Last edited by Xenich on April 16th, 2024, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

list every strategy brand available and hope one of them matches
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

asf wrote: April 17th, 2024, 03:11
Most should be similar (might have got some off as I mentioned, been a while). Should be a good list to browse through and see what he likes.

smac is nothing more than a glorified mod of Civ and his conditions were not more specific.

Maybe you got upset though? Did your feelings get hurt? *chuckle*
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Xenich wrote: April 17th, 2024, 13:35
smac is nothing more than a glorified mod of Civ
How dare you
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Shillitron wrote: April 16th, 2024, 23:17
I know there was some pozzed civ clone but I don't wanna play it.
There were several.

Your best bet is mods - specifically total overhauls for Civ 4. There's quite a few.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yes, honestly go with the Fall From Heaven 2 mod, or any of it's derivatives (I tend to play Ashes of Erebus mostly). It works really well as an rpg/tbs hybrid within the civ4 rules.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

asf wrote: April 17th, 2024, 14:41
someone is upset
Very. I am really really mad, really!

*chuckle*
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Acrux wrote: April 17th, 2024, 13:46
How dare you
I didn't imply it was bad, I just thought he was looking for something non-Civ and that is essentially just Civ with a skin.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Xenich wrote: April 17th, 2024, 15:12
Acrux wrote: April 17th, 2024, 13:46

How dare you
I didn't imply it was bad, I just thought he was looking for something non-Civ and that is essentially just Civ with a skin.
I should of been more specific.. I'm just sick of Civ and so I was looking for a ~new experience~ whilst keeping to the "Civ style of gameplaye".

I've never modded Civ before and if there's some awesome overhauls that switch up the gameplay - I'm 100% gonna check it out.

This thread actually really delivered, I've got a great Laundry list of shit to check out.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Shillitron wrote: April 17th, 2024, 20:48
I've never modded Civ before and if there's some awesome overhauls that switch up the gameplay - I'm 100% gonna check it out.
Fall From Heaven. Ask @Acrux
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

You'll need Beyond The Sword to play.

The base FFH2 game is here: https://www.moddb.com/members/kaelffh/d ... heaven-ii1
You'll also want Patch O from the download section on this page: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resource ... aven-ii.1/

If you are playing on Steam, you'll want to join the "original_release_unsupported" beta. Otherwise icons and things like that don't show up correctly.

It's very different from standard Civ4. Every Civ (21 of them) has a unique way to play. I'd recommend just jumping in with any of the civilizations, but if you want one close to standard, pick Bannor (templar knights) or Hippus (the Rohirrim, basically).

By the way, there are several different mod-mods. Magister's mod-mod, Ashes of Erebus, and More Naval AI are the ones that most regularly receive updates. If any sound interesting, I can point you to them/provide more information about them.
Last edited by Acrux on April 18th, 2024, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Mondain wrote: April 18th, 2024, 00:32
Manor lords releases soon
All aboard the Hype Train.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

Total War Warhammer, or if you're not interested in the fantasy side of things, some of the earlier total war games like Shogun or Medieval i guess

everyone here would probably consider them normie goyslop which is fair, but minus the dogshit overpriced DLC policy and pozzed direction Creative Assembly is steering them they're solid games

that and in the first installment of Warhammer ya boi Manny V is in it

(i'm not a shill i swear)
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Manny V wrote: April 18th, 2024, 02:55
Total War Warhammer
Is it an RTS or a long haul turn based style game?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Shillitron wrote: April 18th, 2024, 16:51
Manny V wrote: April 18th, 2024, 02:55
Total War Warhammer
RTWPS + long haul turn based
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Anyone played Frostpunk 2?
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

It's basically Total War with a Warhammer coat of paint on top. You have a strategy layer that is turn-based where you upgrade your settlements, build your armies and order them around, and a tactical layer where the actual battles are fought.

What really sets Total War: Warhammer apart from other TW games is how radically different the various factions play, not merely on the battlefield, but also in terms of strategy and overarching goals, and that's ignoring the various unique mechanics and goals for each legendary lord.

It's not a perfect game, and you're shell out a lot of money for the full experience, since each of the three games builds on top of each other (and content from one game is ported over to the newest iteration), there's a lot of bugs, jank and undercooked features - since not even a dev the size of CA has the manpower necessary to actually flesh out every faction, legendary lord or mechanic.

That being said, there's a thriving modding community for the game, with modders just recently having figured out how to add custom voices to the game, on top of making their own overworld map editor.
Shillitron wrote: April 18th, 2024, 16:59
Isn't Frostpunk 2 to be released sometime this year?

EDIT: Just saw the devs are giving out public beta keys. And no, I didn't get one.
Last edited by gerey on April 18th, 2024, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

gerey wrote: April 18th, 2024, 19:53
It's basically Total War with a Warhammer coat of paint on top. You have a strategy layer that is turn-based where you upgrade your settlements, build your armies and order them around, and a tactical layer where the actual battles are fought.

What really sets Total War: Warhammer apart from other TW games is how radically different the various factions play, not merely on the battlefield, but also in terms of strategy and overarching goals, and that's ignoring the various unique mechanics and goals for each legendary lord.

It's not a perfect game, and you're shell out a lot of money for the full experience, since each of the three games builds on top of each other (and content from one game is ported over to the newest iteration), there's a lot of bugs, jank and undercooked features - since not even a dev the size of CA has the manpower necessary to actually flesh out every faction, legendary lord or mechanic.

That being said, there's a thriving modding community for the game, with modders just recently having figured out how to add custom voices to the game, on top of making their own overworld map editor.
Isn't Frostpunk 2 to be released sometime this year?

EDIT: Just saw the devs are giving out public beta keys. And no, I didn't get one.
Scarlet Seeker thinks the game is going to get reviewbombed because it's not a sequel, it's a game with a similar setting but plays entirely differently
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 02:44
Scarlet Seeker thinks the game is going to get reviewbombed because it's not a sequel, it's a game with a similar setting but plays entirely differently
It actually looks really cool. I might buy it.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

I know this is the wrong type of strategy game but Age of Empires 2 (Definitive Edition) is still the best RTS on the market 24 years after it came out and if anyone wants to play it with me let me know :)
Anon

Post by Anon »

A Chinese opium den wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 00:37
I know this is the wrong type of strategy game but Age of Empires 2 (Definitive Edition) is still the best RTS on the market 24 years after it came out and if anyone wants to play it with me let me know :)
What's your ELO?
A Chinese opium den

Anon wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 00:39
What's your ELO?
0, I just play it from time to time with my friends casually. I should probably be better at a game I've been playing off and on since I was a wee lad but it is what it is.
Anon

Post by Anon »

A Chinese opium den wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 00:41
Anon wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 00:39
What's your ELO?
0, I just play it from time to time with my friends casually. I should probably be better at a game I've been playing off and on since I was a wee lad but it is what it is.

Ah don't mind it, I've never been into the game seriously myself as well, I was also worried whether you'd just swipe the floor with me :lol:

I'll download the game then we see how to sort it out
Last edited by Anon on April 22nd, 2024, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
A Chinese opium den

Anon and I are going to play some AOE if anyone wants to join just now, I've got time too if anyone needs to wait a little.