We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Nintendo is suing the creators of popular Switch emulator Yuzu

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I suspect the FSF will jump in to defend RyuJinx if Nintendo goes after them. Yuzu appeared to do a lot of shady things after looking into this for a bit, and Nintendo seems to have been in the right as Yuzu was violating some IP rights of Nintendo with regards to encryption keys and such.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

OnTilt wrote: March 5th, 2024, 04:26
IP holders are never "in the right". They were just correct "legally".
Might makes right.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

OnTilt wrote: March 5th, 2024, 04:26
IP holders are never "in the right". They were just correct "legally".
preaching to the choir
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I think people who like and support Nintendo should be raped to death (respectfully)
Havitner

Post by Havitner »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: March 4th, 2024, 20:19
yuzu and its team has always been against piracy
Oh fuck off with this shit.

If you oppose the lawsuit because you dislike intellectual property as a concept, fine.
If you oppose the lawsuit because you hate Nintendo, fine.
But let's not pretend that this tool wasn't created primarily so that people could pirate Nswitch games.
"But it doesn't technically contain any-" No, shut up, you're gay.

1. I obviously realize that the actual devs have to pretend for legal reasons.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

You can tell it's disingenuous and they're trying to back away without getting fucked more. None of it really matters because everyone already has the emulator and the code has been out there for a long time. Nintendo hasn't accomplished a thing.
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 28th, 2024, 01:17
Honestly I think Yuzu is fucked. Why they don't host this in an actually free country idk, especially one that doesn't give a shit about Japanese law given that they are making an emulator for the most rabid copyrighter in industry. It's within Nintendo's terms not to mess with their proprietary software/hardware, which is pretty standard in tech. Team Yuzu would have had to mess with it to bypass security measures when creating the emulator. And it's likely they did this illegally as well since Nintendo definitely didn't give them the keys necessary. I am pretty sure Nintendo has existing precedents on their side as well like the Gary Bowser case who now owes Nintendo millions for selling switches with modified software.
Gary Bowser owes Nintendo millions because he advertised how his hardware modifications could be used to easily pirate Nintendo games. IIRC, the hardware/software they were selling came with the DRM already disabled and piracy tools pre/auto-installed. The level of damages was ridiculously excessive, but they were selling piracy services with 0 plausible deniability. The people making Switch hacks who maintained plausible deniability are still hacking without any problems so far as I know.
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 5th, 2024, 04:22
I suspect the FSF will jump in to defend RyuJinx if Nintendo goes after them. Yuzu appeared to do a lot of shady things after looking into this for a bit, and Nintendo seems to have been in the right as Yuzu was violating some IP rights of Nintendo with regards to encryption keys and such.
If it's true that Nintendo had proof Yuzu devs distributed Switch keys, then Yuzu had it coming for being absolute retards. It's one thing to share illegal keys as a random internet user, but if you are a 30k+ a month company selling emulators you need to keep your hands extra clean.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

The guy who caused all this is a Win7 chud:

Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

WhiteShark wrote: March 4th, 2024, 23:15
Citra dying is the bigger blow. I don't think there's another good 3DS emulator, unlike with the Switch.
Thankfully the files aren't going anywhere, and the source code was publicly available as well.

https://archive.org/details/citra-macos ... ff3440.tar
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

What is funny about this emulator is that Steam Deck + Yuzu was better at running Switch games than Switch...
LemonDemonGirl

Post by LemonDemonGirl »

See this is why you don't make paid emulators/Mods.

Also make your shit Open-Source too, not everyone wants to pay JUST to be able to play console games on a computer
Last edited by LemonDemonGirl on April 26th, 2024, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 26th, 2024, 12:51
Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 26th, 2024, 12:50
The guy who caused all this is a Win7 chud:

lmao retards who think win7 isn't spyware
At least it didn't spy as much as 10, also it had much better interface (start menu is a thing that I get used so much, that I probably always gonna install programs that make it back).
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

gerey wrote: April 26th, 2024, 12:57
Emulator devs troon out at the same rate as modders.
You gotta be pretty autistic to get involved in that kind of code. Many of those kinds of programmers never even make anything because they lose focus and jerk off to code minutae instead of just getting the work done. Other times the troons are just the "face" of the endeavor and normal autistic dudes did the work.